Author Topic: 110th army troop royal engineers,East Lancashire.  (Read 51713 times)

Offline LamBowes

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 110th army troop royal engineers,East Lancashire.
« Reply #162 on: Tuesday 22 November 22 08:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi Elaine
many many thanks for providing that background information, thats really helpful. My uncle was born in October 1941 and actually baptised in the chapel at Falkland Palace. I was under the impression that my grandfather actually stayed up there til the end or near the end of the war, well thats the impression I got from my dad...........

Steve

.......continued
In his chronology, my Dad states that he went to North Africa on the SS Norelge. I assume that he embarked for North Africa on the Norelge soon after 19th January 1943.
Unlike the other ships he sailed on, he talked a lot about Norelge and I wish I had asked questions.  I have what my Dad said is a 'thank you' letter from King Haakon of Norway, for his 'help' whilst on board the Norelge.  I never asked him what he 'helped' with and I don't recall him volunteering the information.  I looked Norelge up some years ago and, after a great deal of digging, I found a small bit of information.  It was a Norwegian ship and at some point during WWII (I can't currently find my notes), it sustained damage.  I'm going from memory here - I think it was damaged by fire and not by enemy action.  IF this event took place in December 1942, that might be the reason for disembarking in the UK on 28th December 1942.
1943 to 1943 Invasion of Sicily with the 8th Army
My Dad stated that he went from North Africa to Sicily on the Stephen C Foster, which was an American ship. It is likely he embarked from Algiers or Bizerte (he spoke about both), as this ship was sailing between these ports and Palermo between 7th August and 22nd September 1943.
1943 to 1944 Invasion of Italy with the 8th Army and the 5th Army.
From Sicily to Italy on the Forth Bank.
1944 to 1945 Liberation of Greece with the 4th Indian Division
The 110th were in Salonika and left their mark by rebuilding the quay and naming it Lancashire Quay.  My Dad travelled from Italy to Greece on the Ben-my-Chree and to Salonika on the cruiser Ajax.  Incidentally the Ben-my-Chree was involved in operations on D Day/Omaha Beach and Winston Churchill was on Ajax in December 1944, prior to attending a conference in Athens.
Italy
My Dad has Italy after Salonika, but only in reference to the ships he travelled on.  As the ship is the Landing Craft Samas, I assume the 110th went back to Italy after Salonika.
1945 Occupation of Austria
I have a couple of photos of my Dad taken in Vienna and he stated that he returned to England on ‘Hitler’s Yacht’, which was called Grille.
Hope this helps.
Cheers
Elaine

Offline Claireabandofbrothers

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 110th army troop royal engineers,East Lancashire.
« Reply #163 on: Saturday 24 February 24 08:56 GMT (UK) »
Hello Everyone, I am happy to have stumbled across this site.

I am researching my great-uncles and have begun with the two I have more information on. I am wondering if anyone's ancestors talked about the Stenson brothers? Two were with the 110th Army: Harry (Thomas Henry) and Bill (William) Stenson.

Best wishes
Claire