Author Topic: Which William Kirkland?  (Read 3610 times)

Offline ayresa1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Which William Kirkland?
« on: Tuesday 10 March 09 11:43 GMT (UK) »
I know my grandather, William Arthur Kirkland, joined up in WWI - I have a photograph of him in uniform.  He was born in Stamford, Lincoln but at the outbreak of war he was living in Edale, Derbyshire.  I thought one way to track down his army career was through The National Archives Medal Records - but there are no less than 56 William Kirkland's (and variations thereof).  Does anyone know of a way of narrowing down the search - I really don't want to pay £2 a view in the hopes of finding him - and even then without knowing his regiment or number the search will be inconclusive.  Any suggestions gratefully received.
Cowie, Gerrard, Kirkland, Robinson

Offline neil1821

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Which William Kirkland?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 10 March 09 11:48 GMT (UK) »
Scan the photo and post it on here.
Perhaps we can ID the regiment for you, especially if there are any badges or other insignia visible.
Name interests: Boulton, Murrell, Lock, Croxton, Skinner, Blewett, Tonkin, Trathen.
Military History & Medals

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 10 March 09 11:55 GMT (UK) »
The service records for a William Arthur Kirkland are on Ancestry. If that is not him you should go through the William Kirklands in the "WW1 Service Records" and "Pension Records" on Ancestry, at least to eliminate them.

Ken

Offline neil1821

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 10 March 09 11:58 GMT (UK) »
And there may be a few on CWGC that you can also eliminate, assuming you know he survived the war.
Name interests: Boulton, Murrell, Lock, Croxton, Skinner, Blewett, Tonkin, Trathen.
Military History & Medals

Offline mmm45

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 10 March 09 13:38 GMT (UK) »
I think you may be in luck....What was his wifes name.? if it was Edith May and lived on Hope Rd Edale then you have 33 pages :D

He was in the York and Lancasters. and wounded in 1917.

Ady
Lowe(Lower Gornall-Castleford)
Blackburn (Castleford)
Sidwell(Ledsham)
Fairburn(Hartshead)
Wood(Liversedge)
Tallon (Whittington Lancs/Hartshead West Yorkshire)

Researching all Great War soldiers from the Spen Valley of West Yorkshire Especially lads from the Cleckheaton Company of 1/4th West Riding Regiment.

Offline ayresa1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 10 March 09 19:03 GMT (UK) »
Thank you all so much for coming back to me so quickly.  Ady you are spot on - I don't know how you did it - but you have the correct William Kirkland, my grandmother was Edith May and they lived in Hope Road Edale.  May I ask where you looked to find out - and if it is possible for me to look up the records?  I know he was wounded - I thought he was gassed because when he returned to civilian life he took a job as a tram driver, it being out doors in those days - unfortuntely he later contracted TB.

Offline mmm45

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 10 March 09 21:03 GMT (UK) »
They are in the army service records on Ancestry.com
If you havent a subscription you can get two weeks free and then cancel your subscription or most librarys now have access to them.
If all else fails PM me an email address ill send you the records..Theres 33 pages some are blank but its definately your man.. :) You are very lucky only about 30% of records survive!

Ady
Blackburn (Castleford)
Sidwell(Ledsham)
Fairburn(Hartshead)
Wood(Liversedge)

Researching all Great War soldiers from the Spen Valley of West Yorkshire Especially lads from the Cleckheaton Company of 1/4th West Riding Regiment.

Offline ayresa1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 11 March 09 17:53 GMT (UK) »
Thank you very much Ady.  I was going to take out a pay-as-you go subscription to Ancestry in order to look up the records - but when I searched I was faced with the same problem as to which William Kirkland's record I should go into - there is only one William Arthur that I can see - could he be the one?  If it doesn't sound too pathetic of me could I take up your very kind offer.  I will send you my email address and if, and only if, you have the time I would welcome any of the pages you could send me.

Offline mmm45

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 11 March 09 18:38 GMT (UK) »
Yes it is your William Arthur...ive replied to your PM. :)

Ady
Blackburn (Castleford)
Sidwell(Ledsham)
Fairburn(Hartshead)
Wood(Liversedge)