Author Topic: William Grieve / Margaret Lees Marriage  (Read 5518 times)

Offline Mungbeans

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
William Grieve / Margaret Lees Marriage
« on: Tuesday 10 March 09 23:46 GMT (UK) »
I have obtained a copy of the marriage register of William Grieves and Margaret Lees who married on 9 Nov 1801 at Dalkeith, Midlothian, Scotland.

The following is the link to a copy of the register:

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/-AxSMUx14b9_Lm42BTcZdw?authkey=Gv1sRgCPPRopWt19DAzgE&feat=directlink

or

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/p54iqZCZjJvfdR7K-CiADg?authkey=Gv1sRgCPPRopWt19DAzgE&feat=directlink

So far I have worked out this:

William Grieve and Margaret Lees
Nov 5th William Grieves ? in the ?
and Margaret Lees in this Parish gave in their names for ? to Marriage ? Milligan for the man and Walter Grieve for the woman ? Marr: 9 Nov

I would appreciate help filling out the blanks.   These are my 4th great grandparents.
(was 'spunkymungbeans') Price (Bristol), Pow (Scotland), Neilson (Scotland), Cooper (Yorkshire), Laister (Yorkshire/Nottingham/Lincolnshire)
Lookups:  NSW & Norfolk Musters to 1828; Rookwood Cemetery and Woronora Cemetery transcriptions and grave photographs - post at Australian Emigrants board

Offline Ecneps

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Rosalie Mathilda Jönsson 1916-1999
    • View Profile
Re: William Grieve / Margaret Lees Marriage
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 11 March 09 00:42 GMT (UK) »
My attempt:

William Grieves Soldr. (soldier) in the 15th Regt (regiment) of SB? (Scottish Borders?) Militia
and Margaret Lees on this Day gave in their names for
Procln. (proclamation?) in order to Marriage  Coulr. Sergt. (Colour Sergeant) Andw.(Andrew) Milligan
for the man and Walter Grieves for the woman
mard.(married) 9th Novr

Barbara  :)
`There are two lasting bequests we can give our children -  One is roots - the other is wings`- Hodding Carter

Census and bmd information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Lincs & Yorks - SIVILLS PREDGEN    Norfolk - EBBS WHITEROD ZIPFELL       Sweden - JÖNSSON CRONBERG ANDERSSON      Yorks - SPENCE HIDE HIRD      Durham - DALKIN SELBY RENWICK

Offline Mungbeans

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 11 March 09 01:02 GMT (UK) »
A soldier!  I would never have guessed.  That means there might be some army records for him, which would be wonderful as all I have is his name!
(was 'spunkymungbeans') Price (Bristol), Pow (Scotland), Neilson (Scotland), Cooper (Yorkshire), Laister (Yorkshire/Nottingham/Lincolnshire)
Lookups:  NSW & Norfolk Musters to 1828; Rookwood Cemetery and Woronora Cemetery transcriptions and grave photographs - post at Australian Emigrants board

Offline Ecneps

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Rosalie Mathilda Jönsson 1916-1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 11 March 09 01:06 GMT (UK) »
That's only how I see it, someone else might have a different opinion, but I definitely think soldier, not sure of the letters in front of Militia, someone with more knowledge of the military will no doubt have more information on that, I have vaguely heard of the Scottish Borders Militia, but only vaguely!

Barbara  :)
`There are two lasting bequests we can give our children -  One is roots - the other is wings`- Hodding Carter

Census and bmd information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Lincs & Yorks - SIVILLS PREDGEN    Norfolk - EBBS WHITEROD ZIPFELL       Sweden - JÖNSSON CRONBERG ANDERSSON      Yorks - SPENCE HIDE HIRD      Durham - DALKIN SELBY RENWICK

Offline Mungbeans

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 11 March 09 02:38 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for your help.  I think I'll now get a researcher over in Scotland to do some digging for me!

Offline JAP

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 11 March 09 04:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi Barbara,

Agree with you but just a couple of minor comments.

The name seems to be GRIEVE i.e. no 's' at the end.

I read the regiment possibly as '4th'.
There was an infantry regiment called the Kings Own Scottish Borderers (Googling will get lots of hits) but don't know about militia.

The word before 'Sergt' is Cauts; i.e. Cautioners.

All the best,

JAP
PS: Mungbeans, the following National Archives of Scotland guide might be of interest:
http://www.nas.gov.uk/guides/military.asp

Offline lara.j

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 11 March 09 12:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I also read the regiment as "4th" but I think that it is "N B Militia"......look at the way the N in Novr is formed. The slope would be wrong for an S too.

Could stand for anything - but North Berwick springs to mind - probably because it's quite near where I live  :)

Lara
Northumberland UK

Offline lara.j

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 11 March 09 12:29 GMT (UK) »
Hello again,

Just put a quick search into Google for "N B militia" and came up with several pages which state that this would be the North British Militia
As North Britain was a term often used for Scotland I would guess that this means that the men in it were recruited from there.

Lara

Offline JAP

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 11 March 09 13:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi lara.j,

Excellent!!

It is, of course (how did I miss it!), just like the 'N' written by the scribe (twice appearing elsewhere in the extract) and nothing like his 'S' (as in Soldr or Sergt).

Brilliant work - and I'm very embarrassed.  :-[

A great piece of research.  Let's hope that Mungbeans can make much from it.

Congratulations and thank you very much indeed,

JAP
PS: Scots, and those of Scots heritage, might even prefer to read it as SB (South British i.e. English) rather than NB (North British i.e. Scottish).  ;D