Author Topic: Skinners Hall, Edale  (Read 9210 times)

Offline ayresa1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Skinners Hall, Edale
« on: Wednesday 11 March 09 18:17 GMT (UK) »
On the 1911 census I find that my grandfather's family is living at Skinners Hall, Edale.  It sounds the sort of place I should be able to find something out about - but all I have managed to get from googling is that the house was used for mill employees and in earlier times orphans had been brought down from Scotland to work in the mill and were put up at Skinners Hall.  Does anyone have any further information about it.  I was wondering particularly if it was still attached to the mill in 1911, or if it had become a private house?
Cowie, Gerrard, Kirkland, Robinson

Offline willow154

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Mum - Such love
    • View Profile
Re: Skinners Hall, Edale
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 12 March 09 01:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
Not sure about whether it was attached to the house in 1911, but I did find a little information on google booksearch:
www.rootschat.com/links/05t4/
You might be able to get hold of a copy of the booklet.
When i googled 'The Derbyshire Archaeological Journal By Derbyshire Archaeological Society' it gave a site which mentioned buying back copies for £5. It might also be available through your local library.
Good luck.
Paulene :)

Offline willow154

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Mum - Such love
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 12 March 09 01:53 GMT (UK) »
* You need to click on Search this book where you see the box with 'skinners hall edale' in it.

Offline ayresa1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 12 March 09 10:22 GMT (UK) »
Thank you very much for this Paulene.  I shall certainly follow this lead up :)

Offline behindthefrogs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • EDLIN
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 12 March 09 12:43 GMT (UK) »
In Cumbria and the Peak District the term "Hall" is often used to mean no more than a stone built house.  It thus does not follow that the building to which you refer was of any significant size.

David
Living in Berkshire from Northampton & Milton Keynes
DETAILS OF MY NAMES ARE IN SURNAME INTERESTS, LINK AT FOOT OF PAGE
Wilson, Higgs, Buswell, PARCELL, Matthews, TAMKIN, Seckington, Pates, Coupland, Webb, Arthur, MAYNARD, Caves, Norman, Winch, Culverhouse, Drakeley.
Johnson, Routledge, SHIRT, SAICH, Mills, SAUNDERS, EDLIN, Perry, Vickers, Pakeman, Griffiths, Marston, Turner, Child, Sheen, Gray, Woolhouse, Stevens, Batchelor
Census Info is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline willow154

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Mum - Such love
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 12 March 09 14:01 GMT (UK) »
I wonder if you might find it on one of the old OS maps.
I see there is still a holiday cottage in Edale, which goes by this name; but whether it is the same building, or not, I'm not quite sure.

Offline ayresa1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 12 March 09 18:10 GMT (UK) »
Thank you both.  What I really need to do is to get myself up to Edale!  I only wondered if the house was of a certain size as there were eight children in the family living there - and previously there had been the mill working orphans.  I'll keep looking  :)

Offline Dissman

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 22 November 11 22:25 GMT (UK) »
My wife, an EYRE, was born at Skinner's Hall in 1937 at which time it was owned by the Water Board and consisted of two dwellings. I have attached two views of the hall as it is now. In the first view the window in the gable end is to the bedroom in which my wife was born. The far half of the building was occupied by family Harrison. The second view shows two extensons which were added to the hall after it was sold as a private dwelling. The hall is currently owned by a couple who let out part of it as a holiday appartment.

What was your grandfather's name - AYRES by any chance ? Did he work at t' mill ? My wife's grandparents met at t' mill where they worked. They married in 1905 and lived in of the mill cottages further down Edale Road towards Hope. It's quite possible that they knew your grandfather. Perhaps we should compare notes.

The next time we go to Edale, in the coming summer (if we get one  ;D), I intend to take more photos.

Please keep in touch.

Regards

John

PS: Owing to size limitations imposed by Rootschat I can't post the two views. I shall try to send them separately by PM.  If that fails then, if you will give me your email address I will send them that way. Otherwise you can try to import them from Janet EYRE Family Tree .
Norfolk - Easto Leggett
Suffolk - Easto Leggett
Derbyshire - Eyre

Offline skewbald

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 30 November 11 14:54 GMT (UK) »

If you go to Old-maps.co.uk and enter Skinners Hall, Edale, it will take you to the map of where it is, then look at old maps of the place.

Skewy.