Author Topic: Could do with some advice  (Read 3919 times)

Offline Denmark

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Could do with some advice
« on: Saturday 24 April 04 13:00 BST (UK) »
 ;D I have quite a lot of information from certificates on my husbands grandfather but cannot find him or prove where he originated from. I will try and explain the problem.  I have a marriage certificate  which reads:
13th March 1903. The Zion Chapel, Lower Oxford Street, Swansea
Arthur Chester BROWN 27 years, Bachelor, Merchant Clerk, 30 Dillwyn St. Swansea and Agnes Mabel KENNEY 25 years. spinster. same address. I also have a birth certificate for my husband's father:
Arthur Barron BROWN born 21 July 1903 St.Marks Street, Leeds.   Father Arthur HERBERT Brown, bookkeeper. Mother A.M.Brown.   I know that the middle name of Chester is correct because that is the middle name of my husband - so  the conundrum is did Arthur change his middle name somewhere along the line.  He signs his marriage certificate A.Chester Brown.

On the marriage certificate his father is shown as  Walter Henry Brown - of Independent Means and the father of Agnes Mabel Kenney is John Henry Carver Kenney (deceased).

I did a search for Walter Henry Brown and also Arthur Herbert/Chester Brown.  No luck with the Chester but I did locate a Walter Henry Brown on the 1880 census for New Jersey.   The family originally came from Suffolk, and probably migrated about 1880 because they were not on the 1881 census. On the 1891 census for Bath there is Walter Henry Brown with a son Arthur Herbert Brown born in Greenville, New Jersey.  Question - is this the Arthur I am looking for.  I don't know where else to look for this family, or how to prove who is who.  I think the name Chester is American and maybe he thought it sounded better than Herbert!

I should explain that my husband was told that his father was an orphan and it was only when I began researching family history that I checked army records and got details of his parents and sent for the birth certificate. I have no idea why he was orphaned out - am open to suggestions  ???  

Sorry for such a long winded first entry.    Mo
Foulkes, Peacock, Bailey, Steadman, Peachey  - Soham, Cambridgeshire

Lumsden -  Dunbar, East Lothian, Scotland

Cartwright, Hutton, Umpleby, Johnson,Wilson,  Morgan - Leeds/Malton, Yorkshire

Dickinson - Bolton-on-Dearne, Yorkshire
Jackman - Gt.Yarmouth.

Brown, Lord, Plowman - Leeds, Etton, Yorkshire.
Hallan. London-Leeds
Hall. Nottinghamshire
Kenney, Campbell, Bowen, Griffiths, Davies, all Swansea

Offline PaulineJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re:Could do with some advice
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 24 April 04 16:10 BST (UK) »

Can you first find *ALL*the Arthur Brown in 1901 who are book-keepers or Clerks. When you have your list, post that and get them checked in the 1891 to see who the father is. (Or try 1881 yourself).

Pauline
All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/
======================================
We are not a search engine. We are human beings.

Offline Denmark

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re:Could do with some advice
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 25 April 04 02:05 BST (UK) »
Thanks Pauline. I will check the 1901 and see what comes from that.  I have searched the 1881, but have been unable to pinpoint him.  Brown is such a difficult name to research. His father was Walter Henry and there are lots of Walter's and Henry's with Arthur's for a son.  It would have been a big help if middle names or initials were given on the 1901. There are quite a few Arthur Herbert Brown's but none with the middle name of Chester which is causing me some confusion.  Mo
Foulkes, Peacock, Bailey, Steadman, Peachey  - Soham, Cambridgeshire

Lumsden -  Dunbar, East Lothian, Scotland

Cartwright, Hutton, Umpleby, Johnson,Wilson,  Morgan - Leeds/Malton, Yorkshire

Dickinson - Bolton-on-Dearne, Yorkshire
Jackman - Gt.Yarmouth.

Brown, Lord, Plowman - Leeds, Etton, Yorkshire.
Hallan. London-Leeds
Hall. Nottinghamshire
Kenney, Campbell, Bowen, Griffiths, Davies, all Swansea