Author Topic: How someone ate a stone (14lbs) a day of potatoes...  (Read 5784 times)

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • The grass covers and the rain effaces. Victor Hugo
    • View Profile
Re: How someone ate a stone (14lbs) a day of potatoes...
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 16 February 05 19:37 GMT (UK) »
Now, Graceland,
You know there's no hiding place on Rootschat...  Only joking about the eavesdropping, too.  I've had a fascinating time listening to Stevenson talking about her great-grandparents' versatility with the humble spud...
Keith.

Offline GRACELAND

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Elvis Presley* ARTIST OF THE CENTURY..*
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 16 February 05 19:40 GMT (UK) »
 ;D  Oh that ok then !!  ;D ;D ;D
God Knew Elvis was Tired so he called him to rest !................
"I like it well done, Cooked. I ain't orderin' a pet."
--Elvis Presley, On Meat
"Don't be like nobody else or you'll be livin' a lie, and that ain't livin'."
--Elvis Presley, On Individuality

Offline stevenson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Sarah Twig Jr in 1950
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 16 February 05 20:12 GMT (UK) »
Now now nothing is secret on roots

Just phoned Belfast..... Great Aunt Lizzie is cross with me taking to a fisherman with a net and I should not talk to strangers and what would he want with her recipes anyway...and I didn't tell him about  sarah and the poridge.?.......eh yes.....I have had a verbal slap on the wrist....big one and told to  leave my net in the boat and get home... ahh

But I got               Potatoe Apple cake
                             pastry
                             Salad
                             stew
                             bread
                             Champ(this one I forgot yum yum)
                             coddle (and this yum yum)
                             fish pie

I bet someone will have more

<br /><br />Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline stevenson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Sarah Twig Jr in 1950
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 16 February 05 20:21 GMT (UK) »
keith

forgot one      a drop of the hard stuff

perhaps they used 12lb to make it and used the rest to eat
<br /><br />Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline corinne

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 17 February 05 22:12 GMT (UK) »
I think when you are used to a diet of heavily processed food, or a very varied diet, it is hard to conceive of eating so much of one food, but many cultures have and still do this.  I'm thinking of some asian countries where every meal is lots of rice and a little bit of something with it.  One of my asian friends used to measure how hungry she was by rice bowls ("I'm really hungry today, I could eat three bowls of rice" etc), and some of the asian students at a hostel I was at used to cook up a huge amount of rice and then share the contents of one tin of something like abalone between 4 or 5 to go with it.

On a more personal note, I never used to be interested much in potatoes until I lived in Scotland - something about the cold winters, and needing heavy carbohydrate meals, and suddenly I'm eating far more potatoes, and enjoying them much more too.

Offline stevenson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Sarah Twig Jr in 1950
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 17 February 05 22:42 GMT (UK) »
I agree with you Corinne,

A diet of rice sounds yuck to me... but...my family have days of just rice and something or just veg.

I feel we are all more cosmopolitan these days and there are so many lovely meals that come from all over the world

This day and age we are very lucky to have so much choice not everyone is(or was) so lucky

Three bowls of rice against 14lb of spuds, I think rice would be easier to consume

Offline Darcy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Searching for little needles in big haystacks
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 17 February 05 23:01 GMT (UK) »

Oh, you are making me both hungry and homesick speaking of tatie and soda bread.

Keith, the Irish have limitless imagination when it comes to the humble spud. I was reared on the dishes that Stevenson lists.

My mother used to make the most scrumptious potato pie with a crisp golden crust on top.

I have never been able to get my soda and potato bread to taste as good as it did in Ireland but I'm a dab hand at the Champ - yummy!

Darcy

Fisher, Pitts, Lucas, Emmit, Keal, Bennett, Maddock, Jackson, Pidd, Lincolnshire <br />Bullock, Read, White, Gloucestershire.<br />Shepherd, Foyle, Crowter, Green, Wiltshire<br />Strickland, Fisher, Butterworth, Brown, Northhamptonshire<br />Shepherd, Bullock, Waterhouse, Lancashire
Fisher, Goodwin, Rutland
<br /><br /><br /> Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • The grass covers and the rain effaces. Victor Hugo
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 17 February 05 23:03 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for those thoughts, Corinne, and the comparison with those who eat/ate rice as their staple diet.
But I think Stevenson's suggestion that 12lb of potatoes a day went towards producing a drop of the hard stuff (was it called poteen?), with only 2lb of potatoes actually consumed as food does make it sound almost believable.
Tongue in cheek, I trust, as the reality of what was actually happening in those stark years probably had a different explanation...
Keith

Offline stevenson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Sarah Twig Jr in 1950
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 18 February 05 14:10 GMT (UK) »
Darcy...

next time you make champ I am coming round for some.. all this talk of good Irish grub is making me want to book a flight ...now ..today...!!!

having lovely dreams and my pillow can't take anymore

Help.....!!!!!!!!!

Keith....

Yes it was poteen ...and the tongue was in cheek

There must be some historian out there who could tell us more ........(please)

You have started something here, I have now become very intrested in what they actually cooked...in 1840.....

But I do believe now that another casualty of the Irish Famine was Irish cuisine.......somone please please please please revive it........ I need help....!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DESPERATE