Author Topic: McAlisters of Aghaderg.  (Read 3732 times)

Offline Newgent_for_life

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
McAlisters of Aghaderg.
« on: Thursday 12 March 09 12:03 GMT (UK) »
Can someone help me to solve the mysteries of the McAlister family of Aghaderg in general and Glasgarmore and Derrydrummuck in particular.
In the will of Samuel McAlister, ob. 1773 will dated 1770 (copy on hand), it states that "I leave all that is bequested to Samuel McAlister son of Samuel McAlister and Samuel McAlister son of Joseph McAlister. I started this search in the early 70's and it has remained dormant for some time. Recently being prompted through Rootschat to refer to PRONI e , I discovered that the references for my documents had altered. This encouraged me to try and update my records which , in turn, lead to starting the McAlister search again.
Arbuckle;Bamford;Fagan;Glenny;Graham;Maxwell; McAlister;Mitchell;Williamson;Wisdom

Offline BallyaltikilliganG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: McAlisters of Aghaderg.
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 12 March 09 22:23 GMT (UK) »
getting that far back has its own headaches.
from http://griffiths.askaboutireland.ie/gv4/gv say datewise late 1850s/early 1860s
Occupier Surname  Occupier Forename  Placename  County  Parish  Details  Original Page  Map 
McAlister  Esther  Glaskerbeg, East  Down  Aghaderg       
McAlister  Esther  Glaskerbeg, East  Down  Aghaderg       
McAlister  David  Glaskerbeg, West  Down  Aghaderg       
McAlister  John  Glaskermore  Down  Aghaderg       
McAlister  Joseph  Glaskermore  Down  Aghaderg       
McAlister  Samuel  Glaskermore  Down  Aghaderg       
McAlister  William  Derrydrummuck  Down  Aghaderg       
McAlister  George  Derrydrummuck  Down  Aghaderg       
McAlister  Samuel  Derrydrummuck  Down  Aghaderg       
McAlister  Mary  Derrydrummuck  Down  Aghaderg       
McAlister  Esther  Derrydrummuck  Down  Aghaderg       
McAlister  Esther  Shankill  Down  Aghaderg   
McAllister  Jonathan  Ballynaskeagh  Down  Aghaderg       

Have you used Ros Davies Co Down website, for the surnames and variants
its also good for her church records that survive
In the Linenhall Library is a manuscript for McAllister in volume 92 of the Blackwood collection, this may not be your family line at all, but..........
Must rush on, and good luck sorting the two lines and their first cousins
jim
Gracey Gracie Gracy Grassy Greacy
worldwide

Offline Newgent_for_life

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 13 March 09 11:45 GMT (UK) »
 jim.
Thankyou for the information Jim. This new link you have given for Griffith's P. Valuations is easies to work with than my last experience. When I last referred to Griffith it was about 1976 and at the Linenhall Library, obviously without computer or excess to O.S. Maps (which were in another building. I have already covered some ground in this search. I have visited all the graveyards in Aghaderg and adjoining Parishes, taking notes of McAlisters and the name variations. I have a family tree written up covering 9 foolscap pages, the first entry being; Robert McAlister, c 1688 of Glaskermore, ref PRONI T1054; The last being my grand nephew Joshua Bruce Kirkwood, b. 23rd. October, 2008. STOP PRESS!!! New arrival, Edward Harry Gibson, b. this day Friday 13th. March 2009, at 7.00am.
Working backwards I have  Newgent, my mother, my grandmother, Margaret McAlister, 1844-1915, Rev. William McAlister, 1801-1879, Samuel McAlister, ob. 1849. What needs to be worked out now is whether Samuel McAlister, ob. 1849 is the son of Samuel McAlister or Joseph McAlister
Arbuckle;Bamford;Fagan;Glenny;Graham;Maxwell; McAlister;Mitchell;Williamson;Wisdom

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 13 March 09 13:33 GMT (UK) »
First haven't you done well. then an apology from me next , I am chuckling away if that is allowed by you and our excellent moderator about Nephews. Yes,I thought as much. I am a nephew named in honour of my uncle.  Did that you get the nasty geneal' twist.   He was a great sailor, a Commander RNVR, etc ., and half a century later I  eventually made it to able seaman from ordinary seaman, in the CCF. So more soberly, have you used proni wills, have you looked up all freeholders at PRONI and gone for little details ie sometimes next of kin etc. and finally church records a guide to what exists in or about Aghaderg might be at http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~rosdavies/CHURCHES/A-I.htm#Aghaderg under each church description
Good luck, Jim
worldwide

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 13 March 09 13:40 GMT (UK) »
Newgent, do you know that the boundaries of each griffiths householder is findable on 6"OS map c1860 , all done through this ask ireland version of Griffiths. You find the ref beside the name its on the RHS of the name, then the townland and hey presto a territory or a wee house.  Jim
worldwide

Offline Reynaud2

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 16 January 10 21:47 GMT (UK) »
Can someone help me to solve the mysteries of the McAlister family of Aghaderg in general and Glasgarmore and Derrydrummuck in particular.
In the will of Samuel McAlister, ob. 1773 will dated 1770 (copy on hand), it states that "I leave all that is bequested to Samuel McAlister son of Samuel McAlister and Samuel McAlister son of Joseph McAlister. I started this search in the early 70's and it has remained dormant for some time. Recently being prompted through Rootschat to refer to PRONI e , I discovered that the references for my documents had altered. This encouraged me to try and update my records which , in turn, lead to starting the McAlister search again.
[/quote}
I live in Derrydrummuck and know the McCallister (current local spelling) family quite well.
I don't have much time at present to help but if you get into the detail of the Griffiths Valuation and find the locations in which they lived at that time (about 1863) then you will at least be able to see better the different families of the time. Hopefully some of this will 'fit' with what you already know of your forebears at that time.
Keep at it - perseverance wins in the end.
Reynolds & Latimer in Fermanagh, Macaulay & Gardiner in Londonderry, Ireland & Breingan in Scotland

Offline Reynaud2

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 16 January 10 21:53 GMT (UK) »

Sorry, I must have done that wrong - This should be better.
I live in Derrydrummuck and know the McCallister (current local spelling) family quite well.
I don't have much time at present to help but if you get into the detail of the Griffiths Valuation and find the locations in which they lived at that time (about 1863) then you will at least be able to see better the different families of the time. Hopefully some of this will 'fit' with what you already know of your forebears at that time.
Keep at it - perseverance wins in the end.
Reynolds & Latimer in Fermanagh, Macaulay & Gardiner in Londonderry, Ireland & Breingan in Scotland

Offline Gortinanima

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 20 April 20 17:09 BST (UK) »
 jim.
Thankyou for the information Jim. This new link you have given for Griffith's P. Valuations is easies to work with than my last experience. When I last referred to Griffith it was about 1976 and at the Linenhall Library, obviously without computer or excess to O.S. Maps (which were in another building. I have already covered some ground in this search. I have visited all the graveyards in Aghaderg and adjoining Parishes, taking notes of McAlisters and the name variations. I have a family tree written up covering 9 foolscap pages, the first entry being; Robert McAlister, c 1688 of Glaskermore, ref PRONI T1054; The last being my grand nephew Joshua Bruce Kirkwood, b. 23rd. October, 2008. STOP PRESS!!! New arrival, Edward Harry Gibson, b. this day Friday 13th. March 2009, at 7.00am.
Working backwards I have  Newgent, my mother, my grandmother, Margaret McAlister, 1844-1915, Rev. William McAlister, 1801-1879, Samuel McAlister, ob. 1849. What needs to be worked out now is whether Samuel McAlister, ob. 1849 is the son of Samuel McAlister or Joseph McAlister

Was your Samuel McAlister died 1849 Derrydrummuck married first to a Maxwell and secondly to a Wallace?

It's been a few years since this thread was started but I might have additional information.