Author Topic: Bartley Family, Roscommon --> Tasmania  (Read 5920 times)

Offline tasconvict74

• RootsChat Extra
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Bartley Family, Roscommon --> Tasmania
« on: Wednesday 16 February 05 11:47 GMT (UK) »
Can anyone help?  My convict ancestor Catherine Bartley was born c1831 in Ireland.  She was transported to VDL now known as Tasmania in 1850.  Her native place is listed on one record as Kildare and another as Roscommon.  Her father's name according to her record was Terrence.  She had a sister called Eliza and a brother in England called James.  Interestingly a Bartley Kane (could this be the wrong way around?) was arrested at the same time and place and same offence as Catherine for cattle stealing and is listed on the National Archives of Ireland website.  I wonder if he was a relation?  Does anyone know how to track down his court appearance and where he was transported to?  I've got a nespaper article from the Roscommon Weekly Messenger 17 January 1849 which details Catherine's court appearance - would there be a similar one for Bartley Kane? He didn'd come to Tasmania as he isnt listed as arriving here unless he changed his name.  If SKS has an interest in Irish convicts I would love to hear from them - or alternatively someone with access to Bartley BDMs for this period - would love to know what happened to Catherine's father and sibling Eliza. Many thanks Kim in Tasmania
Moderator Note: Email address removed to prevent spam - contact can be made by Personal Message on RootsChat

Offline ros2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Bartley Family, Roscommon --> Tasmania
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 30 June 05 21:45 BST (UK) »
6 Roscommon Bartley families 1850:   Boyle and adjacent parishes, including James of Main St. Boyle.

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
Re: Bartley Family, Roscommon --> Tasmania
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 28 December 05 03:38 GMT (UK) »
Have a Happy New Year KSimpson,

In 1857-8 there were six heads of household named Bartley in Co. Roscommon, 3 named Myles and 1 each Thomas, Bridget and James. http://www.failteromhat.com/griffiths.php Since there is no Terence there are several possibilities - he was not a head of household and lived either with a Bartley relative or was a labourer for a farmer who was the head of household. I then searched all Ireland and his name does not appear so he may have died. It is possible that Bartley Kane may have been a first cousin which would make her mothers maiden name Kane. I searched for Bartley on this next site and then crossed checked with the name Kane. Both names appear in the same parish in Co. Roscommon.  
http://scripts.ireland.com/ancestor/surname/index.cfm