Author Topic: Adopted or acknowledging paternity  (Read 926 times)

Offline Chris1969

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Adopted or acknowledging paternity
« on: Wednesday 16 February 05 11:48 GMT (UK) »
I have an ancestor Georgiana Clifton who was born illegitimately to Mary Clifton. Mary married Robert Bloor 6 years later. On her marriage certificate Georgiana gives her surname as Bloor and her father as Robert.

Does this mean that Robert adopted her offically or unoffically or might this be an acknowledgment of his paternity.

Robert would have been about 17 or 18 when Georgiana was conceived and he was from London whereas Mary (who would have been 25) and Georgiana were born in Bedford.

Would I be wasting my time following the Bloor family futher back?

What do people think?

Has anyone come across a similar case?

Cheers

Chris
Name Interests: Wells, La Roche, Skingle, Coleman, Capen, Edmonds, Atkinson, Cox, Brett, Onion, Atwill, Sheldrick, Taylor, Lefebvre, Mecklenburgh
Places: Camberwell, Lambeth, Southwark

Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline casalguidi

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Adopted or acknowledging paternity
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 16 February 05 12:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi Chris

Unfortunately, this doesn't mean anything really.  Like you, we can only guess as to what the real story was.  Given the age difference and distances it doesn't look very likely that Robert was the biological father does it unless, of course, one or other of them can be found in the same vicinity at some time.?

Georgiana obviously accepted Robert BLOOR as her father but whether you choose to do so is another matter.  I don't know what date you are talking about but there were no official adoptions prior to 1927.

Have you got Georgiana's birth certificate?  Baptism?  There may have been other records if Mary was dependant on the local workhouse/union during confinement/birth.

Good luck with whichever path you decide to take

Casalguidi
Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk