Author Topic: Clark/e possibly of Magherafelt  (Read 8190 times)

Offline Morgia

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Clark/e possibly of Magherafelt
« on: Friday 13 March 09 09:21 GMT (UK) »
Gday from Oz everyone & with a pesky ancestor who doesn't want to be found!  I'm wondering if anyone has any information on the following person & his family....!  He's my BRICK wall!!!!!!!!  I know nothing of his ancestors except his parents names.

David Ramsay Clark/e - born 1833 Magherafelt; emigrated to Australia from Liverpool to Melbourne on 'John Knox' arriving in 1853; married Louisa Frances Storey in Australia in 1878.  Died in Australia 1903.  He worked as a labourer / farmer over here.

His father - William Clark/e   
His mother - Jane Ramsay
as listed on his death & marriage certificates.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!   Thanks.
Ireland - Londonderry (Clark, Ramsay), Galway (Simcocks), Donegal (Walker, Colquohoun), Down (Wright, McCracken, Spence), Monaghan (Little)
England - Durham (Storey), Tipperary (Horan), Cornwall (Bowden, Arthur), Somerset (Simcocks)
Scotland - Angus (Ramsay), Fife (Watson, Laing), Rafford (Crow), Monaghan (Carson)
All these families branches ended up in Australia at some point.

Offline wonderinglady

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Clark/e possibly of Magherafelt
« Reply #1 on: Friday 10 April 09 17:18 BST (UK) »
This may or may not be relevant.
Are you sure that he was born at Magherafelt?
There are Clark's at Maghera in fact they still have the Clark and Son's Linens. 

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 10 April 09 18:04 BST (UK) »
This may or may not be relevant.
Are you sure that he was born at Magherafelt?
There are Clark's at Maghera in fact they still have the Clark and Son's Linens. 

Have extensive Clark family tree (the linen family) and can see no connection to David Ramsay Clark. Unfortunately Clark/Clarke is a common surname in Co. Londonderry and will probably be difficult to trace without more information to start with.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Morgia

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 19 April 09 12:26 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your help wanderinglady & aghadowey!    Yes, I hit a brick wall with these people all the time!  His death certificate states he was born in Magherafelt but I haven't found anything at all so I wouldn't be surprised if he popped out a Maghera instead!   His death certificate (in Australia) also states he lied about his age for years too!!!!!     I have been on a hiatus from the genealogy for a while - again if anyone has any info of this family (perhaps not in Magherafelt as first thought??)... I'd love to hear it..!  Thanks everyone.
Ireland - Londonderry (Clark, Ramsay), Galway (Simcocks), Donegal (Walker, Colquohoun), Down (Wright, McCracken, Spence), Monaghan (Little)
England - Durham (Storey), Tipperary (Horan), Cornwall (Bowden, Arthur), Somerset (Simcocks)
Scotland - Angus (Ramsay), Fife (Watson, Laing), Rafford (Crow), Monaghan (Carson)

Offline mr-aitch

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 26 May 09 11:06 BST (UK) »
Hi.

I'm a bit late coming to this discussion - found it while browsing.  This might help.

A David Clarke was baptised 26Jan1834 at The Woodchapel Church of Ireland at Lisnamorrow.  His parents were William Clarke, farmer in Ballymulderg, and Jane, whose maiden name is not recorded.  There is not a corresponding marriage in The Woods records which suggests that they married in Jane's church wherever that was.  Lisnamorrow and Ballymulderg are townlands a few miles down the Magherafelt/Ballyronan road.  They also had a Margery baptised 24Apr1825.  And a William Clarke died at Ballymulderg aged 89yrs in 1884.

Good hunting.

mr-aitch

Offline Morgia

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 03 June 09 07:10 BST (UK) »
Wow thanks for that lead mr aitch!  Much obliged indeed!   ;D    I'm off to see if it turns into anything exciting....   

Offline aliarch

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 26 August 09 20:51 BST (UK) »
Hi
Also found this while browsing so you may solved this one already. Following on from the information already posted about the Clarke family listed in the Woodschapel Parish Church records I may be able to help further. All the church records have been compiled on a database so they are  :Deasily accessible. I also happen to one of the Clarkes from Woodschapel. We have been in that area for the best part of 300 years so we may be cousins!
happy hunting
aliarch

Offline aliarch

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 26 August 09 21:18 BST (UK) »
Hi
Just found out some more re David Clarke and Woodschapel Parish Records. A David Clarke is listed as being baptised on 26th Jan 1834. His mother was  Jane (nee Ramsay) his father William. David's name is not listed as David Ramsay Clarke in the records but as his mother's maiden name was Ramsay it would seem a likely connection.

There were an older brother John and 2 sisters Alicia and Margery. Hope this helps in your quest

Offline Morgia

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 27 August 09 04:32 BST (UK) »
WOW!!!  How exciting Aliarch!  That is awesome!  Do you have copies of these records?  I would love copies...  Cous?!!!   It seems quite probable there would be a connection there.  I'm happy to supply you with our Aussie stuff too.   Thanks!  You can send to (*)  - No spaces of course! 

Kel

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php