Author Topic: Who? Help Please!  (Read 2269 times)

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Who? Help Please!
« Reply #9 on: Monday 16 March 09 22:05 GMT (UK) »
The name in the "once again" extract still looks like Hellen - double l in the middle.  The H is fairly clear as well.

Going back to look at the other one some more now.  ;)

Nell
All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 16 March 09 23:03 GMT (UK) »
In the very first extract, the name on the bottom line appears to have a really weird letter at the beginning preceeded by 'be'  It is possible that the letter with the tail is any of the following: yogh, or z, or y, or a thorn!  I'm resorting to looking at lists of names  ::)

Nell
All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Scatza

• RootsChat Extra
  • Alabama Azalea
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 16 March 09 23:21 GMT (UK) »
Throughout the first page of the testament each sentence begins with "Item (number) be John Smith" or whoever. Before Rosina ? there is "Item 'delb' be Rosina F_________  The 'delb' is probably twelve, but who knows? One could become really mired in the mud with this lot.

In the .jpg "context" example, here are some words that I deciphered some time back:

line 2:  _ _ _ _ appointed the Laird John McClellan of Bankend and
line 3: Gorg. McMurrie in ?Balgreddan

On the 3rd line from bottom, left margin, following "Hellen F_________(still to be decided) my wyfes and Janet McMurrie my daughter."

Perhaps these extra words will help  ???

Of course I could get greedy and hope that the entire paragraph could be deciphered, but I'd be very happy with the names  ;D
McMurrie/McMurray, McFegan, McClune, Coltart, Shaw, McLean - Kirkcudbright; McMurray, Simpson, Adams, Mussett South Africa

Offline Scatza

• RootsChat Extra
  • Alabama Azalea
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 16 March 09 23:34 GMT (UK) »
An example of the use of "Item" and numbers referred to in my last post.
McMurrie/McMurray, McFegan, McClune, Coltart, Shaw, McLean - Kirkcudbright; McMurray, Simpson, Adams, Mussett South Africa