Author Topic: Joshua Gray & Delenda Williams  (Read 5822 times)

Offline Lesley1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Joshua Gray & Delenda Williams
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 13 May 12 11:49 BST (UK) »
uhm, considering the amount of work Ive done on the Grays I am quite suprised Ive never nailed this one down.

Joshua Gray was b.cir 1840 in Boston, Lincolnshire, and married Delenda Williams who was baptised as Hartherdelender in 1833 Hornsea Yorks, d/o Job & Elizabeth Williams.

They were married in 1859 Ormskirk District Lancashire (GRO Index). It would be far too easy to just grab the marriage certificate to find out who his father was, and I never do things the easy (expensive) way if theres another way.

Joshua and Delenda went on to have a bundle of chavvies mostly in Southport area Lancs. There was Enoch, John, Nelson, Joshua, Samson and Herbert for sure.

But on the 1881 census they are travelling with some nephews and nieces - Leona, Samson, Wymore and Herbert Brown.

Now I long since felt that this group belonged to Edward Heron and Bella Gray of the Heron Pedigree, Edward being on of Khulai Heron and Dorelia Boswell (d/o Tyso). Isabella Gray was d/o Harriet Williams by John Budd "Jack" Gray (who was transported in 1844). Harriet Williams mother was reputedly Maria Boswell, Dorelias sister, who had a liason with David Williams. It need not be mentioned that Maria Boswell herself also had a relationship with John Budd Gray because that sounds a wee bit freaky and only complicates matters more. Oops I told you.

So I am wondering if the Brown chavvies have turned up with auntie and uncle Josh and Delenda because they were related via the Williams side of the family........ or ....

Was Joshua Gray another child of John Budd Gray by lord only knows who. He had at least 5 "wives" that I know of already, and reputedly 8 children, although I have only ever found seven. So is Joshy the elusive 8th child?

And if anyone has any data on the Williams lineage Id be grateful. Many thanks

Ann x

From Free Reg

County   Lincolnshire
Place   Revesby
Church   St Lawrence
RegisterNumber   431
DateOfBirth   
BaptismDate   22 Jul 1838
Forename   Joshua
Sex   M
FatherForename   John
MotherForename   Maria
FatherSurname   Gray
MotherSurname   
Abode   Revesby
FatherOccupation   a gipsy ? in this parish
Norfolk: Freezer, Winter, Tye, Twigg, Harman, Osborn, Sieley, Wray, Gray, Saddleton/Sadler, Ray, Elliott, Copling, Newstead, Parsley, Payne, Purple, Watkins, Atmore, Butters, Boyce,

Offline Lesley1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Joshua Gray & Delenda Williams
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 13 May 12 12:02 BST (UK) »

Surname

Forename(s)

Surname

Forename(s)

Church / Register Office

Registers At

Reference

GRAY

Joshua

WILLIAMS

Delenda

Birkdale St. James

North Sefton
Norfolk: Freezer, Winter, Tye, Twigg, Harman, Osborn, Sieley, Wray, Gray, Saddleton/Sadler, Ray, Elliott, Copling, Newstead, Parsley, Payne, Purple, Watkins, Atmore, Butters, Boyce,