Author Topic: COMPLETED Annie Arnold *Found*  (Read 2478 times)

Offline Sue R

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
COMPLETED Annie Arnold *Found*
« on: Saturday 14 March 09 05:05 GMT (UK) »
Annie Arnold is my mother's (XX b: October 17, 1920 in Tamworth) birth mother.  Annie supposedly died in childbirth and XX and XX adopted Mum.  I think Annie's death in childbirth was a story told to Mum.  I have seen Mum's birth certificate with Annie's name on it (no father).  In the bit of research I have done I have yet to run across any death notice, etc. for Annie Arnold at that time.  Can anyone help with this?  Sue

Moderator comment: In order to protect the privacy of living people and prevent identity theft, some details have been removed.  If you can help, please reply in general terms only on the board, or by PM.  Thanks
Reid, Busby, Arnold, Hayes, Alder, Granshaw, Gadsden, Spokes, Brock, Anderson, Gordon

Offline charlotteCH

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Genealogy's worth chatting about.
    • View Profile
Re: Annie Arnold
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 14 March 09 05:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sue and welcome to rootschat.

If Annie Arnold died in NSW her death notice may be listed in the Ryerson Index.  Google for Ryerson Index then look for search terms.   It gives death and funeral notices- as well as funeral directors... quite a few lead possible from this sometimes.
Hope tou are successful in your search for info.

charlotte

Offline Sue R

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 14 March 09 16:00 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Charlotte - I guess I should have been more clear.  All this happened in England.  Everyone has died except Mum.

Sue
Reid, Busby, Arnold, Hayes, Alder, Granshaw, Gadsden, Spokes, Brock, Anderson, Gordon

Offline nanny jan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Russian John
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 14 March 09 16:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sue,

Have you searched for a marriage on http://freebmd.rootsweb.com ?

Nanny Jan
Howard , Viney , Kingsman, Pain/e, Rainer/ Rayner, Barham, George, Wakeling (Catherine), Vicary (Frederick)   all LDN area/suburbs  Ottley/ MDX,
Henman/ KNT   Gandy/LDN before 1830  Burgess/LDN
Barham/SFK   Rainer/CAN (Toronto) Gillians/CAN  Sturgeon/CAN (Vancouver)
Bailey/LDN Page/KNT   Paling/WA (var)

All census look-ups are crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Sue R

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 14 March 09 17:32 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Nanny Jan - I hadn't thought of that, was hung up on her dying or not.

Sue

Offline Sue R

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 14 March 09 17:41 GMT (UK) »
My problem with using bmd is all I have is her name, my mother's birthdate and place of birth.  I guesstimate her age, I assume she was young from what Mum has told me, but how do I choose which Annie?

Sue

Offline nanny jan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Russian John
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 14 March 09 21:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sue,

Can you find Annie on any census?

Nanny Jan
Howard , Viney , Kingsman, Pain/e, Rainer/ Rayner, Barham, George, Wakeling (Catherine), Vicary (Frederick)   all LDN area/suburbs  Ottley/ MDX,
Henman/ KNT   Gandy/LDN before 1830  Burgess/LDN
Barham/SFK   Rainer/CAN (Toronto) Gillians/CAN  Sturgeon/CAN (Vancouver)
Bailey/LDN Page/KNT   Paling/WA (var)

All census look-ups are crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline charlotteCH

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Genealogy's worth chatting about.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 15 March 09 02:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sue, What nanny Jan says is the route to go... you need to narrow the time frame by cross referencing.
Try to find her ona acensus then look at the next census- if she's there then at the next etc... eventually you'll know in which decade she died- unless she lived beyond 1911.
The census will aslo give you an age.
 When ever in doubt , go for cross referncing-  stops you going off down wrong lines.

Charlotte

Offline JAP

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 15 March 09 06:01 GMT (UK) »
Hello Sue R,

A check on FreeBMD for ARNOLD births in Tamworth, mother's name ARNOLD (mother's surname was indexed starting in 1911) from 1911 to 1940, brings up quite a few.

Depending on how much you are able to spend on this quest, it might be worth getting some of the post-1920 birth certs (specifying that the mother must be Annie or variant thereof)?  If the mother in any of these later births is an Annie - especially if she has the same occupation and address as your grandmother - then that would be a useful clue ...

Unfortunately it's always possible, of course, that if Annie survived she might have married or moved away from Tamworth after your mother's birth ...

However, as a first step, have you checked through the full death indexes for your grandmother Annie's possible death in childbirth (nothing having been found on FreeBMD)?  If nothing can be found in the full indexes in Tamworth in the same year (should be the same quarter though perhaps extend the search to the following quarter) as your mother's birth, that surely would put paid to the idea of Gma Annie dying in childbirth ...

Very best of luck in your quest,

JAP