Author Topic: SWEETING in Narrandera, NSW, Aust  (Read 4866 times)

Offline caitlin.95

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
SWEETING in Narrandera, NSW, Aust
« on: Sunday 15 March 09 04:14 GMT (UK) »
I am hoping to find relatives or someone who knows of Sweetings that have live in Narrandera. I understand my great-great-grandfather (unknown first name) was married twice. In his first marriage his wife had a stillborn and she and her 2nd baby died shortly after giving birth. My great-great-grandmother was his 2nd wife and they had i think 8 children together. One of their children's name was Mabel.

Anyone with any information would be of great help.

Good luck with your searching!

Offline Joyful

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My beautiful Mum & Uncle Neil
    • View Profile
Re: Sweeting's in Narrandera, NSW, Aust
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 15 March 09 04:37 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat Caitlin.95. ;D

For anyone to be able to help we really names and dates. It's always a good idea to give as much information as possible.

You'll find that we're a friendly bunch of people on here who just love helping and we're all addicted to genealogy and the thrill of chasing ancestors.

Joy
Anderson R&C & Orkney, Jack, Patience, Hood R&C, McVicar Argll & Glasgow, Gourlay Glasgow, Docherty Glasgow, McNicol Argyll, Leask Orkney, Cumming Okney,
Tait Orkney, Brown Orkney, Sinclair Orkney, Craigie Orkney, Foulis Orkney, Beard Gloucester & Bundarra NSW, Pamplin Cambridge & NSW, Ashman Cambridge, McCarthy Ireland & Glen Innes NSW, Raleigh Ireland, Connelly Ireland, Waldron Ireland.
UK Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Les de B

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 15 March 09 05:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi Caitlin

You may be able to do a fair bit your self on the NSW BDM site

http://www.bdm.nsw.gov.au/familyHistory/search.htm

Its a pretty easy site to explore. I had a very quick look, and found the 1884 birth of Mabel Sweeting at Narrandera to parents Henry and Emma. They had 9 children between 1879 and 1901 at Narrandera, so I presume this is the correct Sweeting Family?

Anyway, have a look, but if you have any problems get back, and I'm sure I, or some RootsChatter will give you help.  :D

Les

de Belin, Swindail, Willcock, Williams, Moore, Watts, Searjeant, Watson, McCready, Reid, Spink, de Lancey, Van Cortland, and of course, Smith!

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 15 March 09 05:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi caitlin,
I think it looks like there were 3 not 2 marriages for Henry.

The first was Margaret in 1871

1479/1871  SWEETING,  HENRY CRAGGS to CARNS  MARGARET ANNE MARY @ ALBURY

She died in Albury in 1873 I think.

This one is a puzzle.....
1479/1871  SWEETING  HENRY, CRAGGS  SWEETING to MARY JOSEPHINE@  ALBURY

4949/1878  SWEETING,  HENRY GREGG married  CLAYTON,  MARIA M @  WAGGA WAGGA

And finally
5382/1908  SWEETING,  HENRY to BOWMAN,  ELLEN M @  NARRANDERA 

Sue

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Les de B

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 15 March 09 05:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi Caitlin

I'm afraid I couldn't resist the temptation, and I just had to search a little further, but without purchasing certificates or transcripts (cheaper), it may be a little diffiuclt to work out.

You indicate your gg grandfather married twice, his first wife dying shortly after the birth of a still born child.

I found an 1871 marriage of Henry Craggs SWEETING to Margaret Annie CARNS (Ref. 1479/1871), but also with same reference and place,  a marriage to Mary Josephine SWEETING  ???  

Anyway, I found a 1872 birth and death of Henry Richard SWEETING to Henry and Margaret SWEETING in 1872, and then the 1873 death of Margaret SWEETING, which ties in with part of your story.

His second marriage was in 1878 to Maria M CLAYTON, however, all of his 9 children had the mother of Emma M. Perhaps there was an error with the name Maria/Emma?

Les

de Belin, Swindail, Willcock, Williams, Moore, Watts, Searjeant, Watson, McCready, Reid, Spink, de Lancey, Van Cortland, and of course, Smith!

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 15 March 09 05:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi Les,

we are crossing the wires here. ;D
I think [see previous post] that there were at least 3 marriages,  What do you think?
Sue

Offline Les de B

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 15 March 09 05:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi Les,

we are crossing the wires here. ;D
I think [see previous post] that there were at least 3 marriages,  What do you think?
Sue

The more wires crossed, the more information (hopefully)  :D

Yes, I can see 3 marriages for Henry SWEETING, but 2 have the same reference, with 2 completely different names, including a surname of SWEETING!? That's why Caitlin will have to get that certificate reference, to see what is happening with that marriage/s??

Les

Offline Les de B

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 15 March 09 06:13 GMT (UK) »

5382/1908  SWEETING,  HENRY to BOWMAN,  ELLEN M @  NARRANDERA 

I don't think this is the gg grandfather Henry Craggs SWEETING. This is more likely to be the son Henry SWEETING b.1882. There was a Ellen M BOWMAN b.1884 Wagga Wagga.

I think these are the deaths of the gg grandfather and his wife;

1914 Henry C SWEETING Narrandera
1834 Emma M SWEETING Narrandera

Les

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 15 March 09 06:34 GMT (UK) »
Yes,
I think so too Les.
It looks like Henry senior was having his children with another EMMA [Minnie]  for whom I am not able to see a marriage to Henry senior .
Sue