Author Topic: Mains of Cardross - withdrawn/completed  (Read 2207 times)

Offline Ann Baker

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Truth will out! (Finding it another matter!)
    • View Profile
Mains of Cardross - withdrawn/completed
« on: Sunday 15 March 09 06:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi all

Can anyone point me a spot on a map where the above is. I think my g5x5 grandfather was born there. Would there have been a farm or similar there in 1777?

I have found a baptism I think is him BUT of course the inconsiderate man died pre 1855 so I cannot confirm the parents I have on the baptism are his and also his marriage banns of course have no parents. I do know tho he defintely died in Paisley.

All I know is that on the 1851 he is aged 74 a Chelsea Pensioner formely a weaver and was born in Cardross. His name was William Robertson.

The baptism I have found would certainly fit but I can't find any others with the same parents anywhere so not rushing to claim him as mine just yet!

Thought a starting point might be to find out where this place is first and go from there so if anyone knows about it (other than the Robert the Bruce connection) would be very grateful

Ann :)
Torrens, Thompson - Tyrone & Fermanagh,Connolly, Campbell - Monaghan & Cavan, McGovern, Carroll, Orr - Ireland <br />Connolly, Fulton, Stirling, Cameron, McKellar, Robertson, McGovern, Torrance, Bisland, Fraser, Hamilton, O'Hara, McAusland, McTaggart , Lambie, Twedale, Hart, Clark(Paisley/Barrhead/Glasgow)<br />McGovern, Liddell - Falkirk<br />Mair, Muir, Carroll, Stewart, Law, Orr - Lanarkshire <br />Torrance - Brisbane<br />Connolly , Robertson- NSW<br />McGovan(?), Robertson , Agnew-