Author Topic: David Rees Westbury Hill, Rosemarket  (Read 10028 times)

Offline K Rees

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: David Rees Westbury Hill, Rosemarket
« Reply #9 on: Friday 20 April 12 10:22 BST (UK) »
Hi Orielbenfro and once again thank you for your assistance.

I may be wrong, but I hope it was your self who found this for us previously.  You being the one who have helped us on many occasions.

The Llanstadwell (Pembroke, Wales) Baptism Register records that Frederic Rees was born 21 Apr 1829 and baptised 31 Jan 1830. It also reads: Frederic to John & Martha Rees of Neyland no occupation shown.

As for Samuel Rees, I had born: 27 Sep 1826 Westbury and bp 8 Nov 1826 Rosemarket but I have no further prove of the same.

A baptism record reads:
18 June 1826 Martha - to John and Martha Rees of the Dock, a lawyer, bapt. by C. Phillips.

The  baptism or birth records show that a Henry Rees was born 20 Jan 1828 and baptised 18 May 1828 at Stainton (Steynton), Pembrokeshire, Wales.

Elizabeth Lee Rees was baptised 29 May 1831 St. Martins, Haverfordwest to John and Martha Rees of Gloucester Place, Haverfordwest. No occupation nor vicar recorded.
[This may be a good glue to link him to a cousin William Rees, the solicitor of Gloucester Place in Haverfordwest, and later Spring Gardens].

When never found a baptism for David Rees who was suppose to born in Pembroke in 1822/23.

The first child Mary Ann Rees was baptised in London in 1820. We have those details.

A very unusal situation.
John Rees and Martha Tomkins were married in 1810 (publicised in the London Gazette) but a record later found for Chingford Essex (18 year olds) ... but what happened in the next 10 years.... did they live apart; did John return to Haverfordwest and learn his law with his cousins.

Folklore: When David Rees (the father)  found out that they were married, he sent for her (indicating that she was still in London), telling his son that he had married a lady .... (her grandparents William Petch and Mary Ellis were in the Court of George 111 - proved).

Back to your offer, yes, we would love to clear up whether Samuel Tomkins Rees was a different person to Samuel Jenkins Rees or a clercial error.

Now back to read your other great finds.

Once again, thank you very much.

Keith

Rees: innkeeper/farmer/solicitor, Haverfordwest, Wales; Menzies: innkeeper, Glen Lyon, Scotland;
Tomkins: merchants, London;  Lee:  farmers, Watford Village, Northamptonshire; Pocock, teachers, Bristol; Grace: doctors, cricketers, Gloucestershire; Day: lithographers, London; Clark:  teachers, Folkstone.
Banks: farmer/curriers/shoemakers, East Ham, Bermondsey, East End

Offline K Rees

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 20 April 12 10:44 BST (UK) »
Thank you Orielbenfro, I have just checkout some more of your finds.

I visted Haverfordwest  some 25 years ago, and unfortunately with a 5 month old baby attached to my kangaroo pouch; along with being a green horn, I lacked knowledge and methodology. I took notes from land tax records in the Castle.

As Westfields seems to be the next property following Woodbine Cottage, we can "guess" that David Rees and his brother John Rees have taken up numerous tenants from Derby Farm going south to Westfields, and across the road with Dredgman's Hill. It would then seem that John Rees has later acquired the tenant of Westbury Hill and passed it on to his son David Rees.

If David Rees Senior and Joan George (Joan still alive in 1797) had most of their children baptised in Freystrop, then maybe he was also a farmer in this area (last known child baptised Mary Rees 1 Jul 1770 Freystrop).

Once, Orielbenfro, we know that you help many people, so we can only seek your assistance when it suits your self.

Regards,

Keith

Rees: innkeeper/farmer/solicitor, Haverfordwest, Wales; Menzies: innkeeper, Glen Lyon, Scotland;
Tomkins: merchants, London;  Lee:  farmers, Watford Village, Northamptonshire; Pocock, teachers, Bristol; Grace: doctors, cricketers, Gloucestershire; Day: lithographers, London; Clark:  teachers, Folkstone.

Offline K Rees

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 20 April 12 14:08 BST (UK) »
Hi Orielbenfro

I have just checked out another site familysearch.org

and these are the names and references I found to John Rees and Martha and which match known chn/years:

Samuel Tomkins Rees  bp 8 Nov 1826  Rosemarket C08317-1 Film #105202

Martha Rees                bp 18 Jun 1826 St. Mary Pembroke  C08291-1  Film#105196

Frederic Rees              bp 31 Jan 1830  Llanstadwell  b. 21 Apr 1829  C08119-1  Film#105182

Elizabeth Rees           bp. 29 May 1831  St. Marin. Haverfordwest  C08107-1  Film#105142

Although Henry Rees' name was not listed, I am sure that you may have found him for me as Henry Rees b. 20 Jan 1828  bp 18 May 1828  Stainton.

There are many John Rees and Martha listed but the above match known chn.

There was a record in the Rosemarket Batch # C8317-1 for an Elizabeth Reed bp 27 Feb 1821 to a John Reed and Martha, but only if there was an error in Reed for Rees. She would have had to die and their last child was named Elizebth Lee Rees in 1831.

Regards,

Keith

Offline K Rees

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 15 August 13 11:20 BST (UK) »
David Rees of Westbury Hill - 1841 Census Pembroke, Wales (HO 107/ 1449/15, page 103)
b. c1781 Freystrop d. 14 Apr 1865 Rosemarket.

Father: John Rees bp. 8 Nov 1753 at Freystop, Pembroke to David Rees and Joan George m. 22 Sep 1751 Lawrenny Parish.

Land Tax Assessments for Pembroke show that John Rees occupied Westbury Hill, near Rosemarket in Pembroke, owned by Miss Owen, in 1796; 1801; 1802; 1806; 1810 (now owned by Robert Robertson). Record Reference: PQ/RT/RO.1802 from the Pembrokeshire Records Office showed that John Rees paid 1 pd 1 shilling and 4 and a hlf pence for tax of Westbury Hill. In addition a John Rees paid 5 shillings and 10 pence for Westfield Hill. John Rees and George Venables both co-signed the Land Tax forms as the assessors.

John Rees Farmer of Westfield Rosemarket made burgess 12 Jan 1795 Admin Bk 5 Page 39 Minute Bk page 143

Question: Has anyone located a baptism for son of John Rees and Ann ..........,  namely George Rees c1781 Freystop?

He has one known brother:
George Rees:
Rees + George (Rosemarket) PEM     Warspite No REM10.0803  REM10.0803 to father John Rees of Westbury, Rosemarket parish PEM GR alias G Wire? (ADM26/11)

Keith