Author Topic: Coats of Arms  (Read 2008 times)

Offline Hagar2000

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Coats of Arms
« on: Wednesday 16 February 05 18:20 GMT (UK) »
I am interested in finding my coat of Arms any idea of how  I go about this

Thanks

Mark
Sulway,Masey,Cartwright,Teesdale,Swain

Offline Willow 4873

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • 22nd July 2013
    • View Profile
Re: Coats of Arms
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 16 February 05 18:44 GMT (UK) »
Hiya Hagar

Why not try this link. I dont know how good it is

http://www.freecoatsofarms.com/

Willow x
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and is for academic and non-commercial research purposes only<br /><br />Researching: Hilton (Wolverhampton & Tamworth) , Simkiss & Mears (Wolverhampton & ?) Bowkett & Nash (Ledbury & Wolverhampton) Knight & Beard (Gloucestershire), Colley (Tibberton) Hoggins (Willenhall) Jones (Bilston), Harris & Bourne (Droitwich) Matthews (Wolverhampton & High Offley) Partridge (Monmouthshire)<br /><br /

Offline kizmiaz

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 19 February 05 22:46 GMT (UK) »
There are probably thousands of sites on the internet selling "Coats of Arms" or "Family Crests" but not one of them is worth the paper it is printed on.

The only officially recognised coats of arms are issued by the College of Arms in London. (See their website at http://www.college-of-arms.gov.uk/) and are inherited from male ancestors who were thus honoured. Alternatively, you can apply for a grant of arms, but I'm guessing that this is reserved for people with obscenely deep pockets, or celebrities.

I had a look for mine before I found the College of Arms site, and I must have visited at least a dozen sites, each of which offered me my "Family Coat of Arms" and each of which looked strikingly dissimilar to every other site.

As almost every male in the origins of my family that I now know of was a general labourer or an agricultural labourer or a pauper, the chances that I have any rights to hold a coat of arms, or even possess a family "Crest" are slim to say the least! Maybe there are titled males in your lineage, but the College seems to require quite a bit of proof, and no doubt quite a bit of cash, before issuing it.

Offline Hagar2000

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 20 February 05 09:36 GMT (UK) »
All

Thanks for the information.

I think I probably fall into the pauper section my farther got posted one but I think it is  made up

Once again thanks for the info

Mark
Sulway,Masey,Cartwright,Teesdale,Swain