Author Topic: Completed with thanks.Boy or Girl at 1894 Wedding?  (Read 1826 times)

Online Greensleeves

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Boy or Girl at 1894 Wedding?
« Reply #9 on: Monday 16 March 09 12:55 GMT (UK) »
I think the child is a girl, and that she is probably the bridesmaid.  I believe they had bridesmaids at weddings at that time, and this would be the reason for the fabulous ensemble and the posy.

Regards,
Greensleeves
Suffolk: Pearl(e),  Garnham, Southgate, Blo(o)mfield,Grimwood/Grimwade,Josselyn/Gosling
Durham/Yorkshire: Sedgwick/Sidgwick, Shadforth
Ireland: Davis
Norway: Torreson/Torsen/Torrison
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Just Kia

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 16 March 09 18:37 GMT (UK) »
I think she's a girl.
The headwear of the child is similar to that of the adult bridesmaid (maid of honour?) stood next to the bride and she also seems to be carrying a little posey - which I wouldn't have thought would be given to a little boy.
WIMBUSH - Everywhere :: MARLOW/JECOCK/JUSTICE - Northamptonshire/Warwickshire/Oxfordshire :: SCALES/BRIDGES/ENGLISH/SPINK/PETCH/GOOCH/COCKSEDGE - Suffolk :: GARRETT/GIBBS/FEARN - Warwickshire :: DEVOS - Scotland (Aberdeen)/France(Dunkerque) :: MURRAY - Ireland(Down)/Scotland(Lochs) :: TIGHE/TREACY - Cork

Stanley Charles SCALES b.1899 - Where are you?    ***   

Offline Barbara348

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • (Virture in difficulty)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 16 March 09 19:06 GMT (UK) »
Hello to everyone who has replied to my post.

Special thanks to Gadget for placing my photo because I still havn't got the hang of inserting photo's myself.

The wedding took place in Jan 1894 and my Grandad was then 7 yrs old, to be 8 in May of that year.

My Gt Grandma was 44 yrs old when my Grandad was born in 1886 and to the best of my knowledge, he  was her last child.

I thought it unlikely that the child in the photo was him but it came to me as a possibility and just wouldn't go away.

Thanks to you all for your ideas and I think the overall conclusion is that the child is a girl.

I think I'll have to accept that I'll never be able to identify the little person.

However, I do love the photo, it's the only one I have of my Gt Grandparents and is much treasured.

So thanks again all

Barbara.
Howell. Marshall. Frew.Finn.Williams.Jones.Carroll.
Hinksman. Zeitline.Roberts.Shepherd.

Offline IgorStrav

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Arthur Pay 1915-2002 "handsome bu**er"
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 16 March 09 20:19 GMT (UK) »
Barbara, it's a lovely photo, I'm sure you are very pleased to have it.

Just a thought, if you would like any restoration work done on it, have a look at the Photo Restoration Board and see the work of the fantastic restorers there - I'm sure someone would have a go at yours, if that's something you'd like.

:)
Pay, Kent. 
Barham, Kent. 
Cork(e), Kent. 
Cooley, Kent.
Barwell, Rutland/Northants/Greenwich.
Cotterill, Derbys.
Van Steenhoven/Steenhoven/Hoven, Nord Brabant/Belgium/East London.
Kesneer Belgium/East London
Burton, East London.
Barlow, East London
Wayling, East London
Wade, Greenwich/Brightlingsea, Essex.
Thorpe, Brightlingsea, Essex

Offline Barbara348

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • (Virture in difficulty)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 16 March 09 23:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi Igorstrav,

I've looked at the Photo Restoration Board and I agree there are some fantastic restorers out there.

If any of them would care to have a go at enhancing the photo for me,I'd be very happy.

Would I have to move the photo from the current board to the Photo Restoration Board in order to do that?

Barbara.
Howell. Marshall. Frew.Finn.Williams.Jones.Carroll.
Hinksman. Zeitline.Roberts.Shepherd.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 16 March 09 23:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi Barbara

If you'd like, you start a thread on the Photo Board with a link to this thread so that we don't have to put the photo up twice  :)

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***