Author Topic: robert and richard shaw of wexford, Ireland  (Read 35509 times)

Offline HugoFirst

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
robert and richard shaw of wexford, Ireland
« on: Monday 16 March 09 16:39 GMT (UK) »
I would be grateful for any help tracing my ancestors from Wexford, Ireland.

Robert Shaw was born in Wexford in 1854, qualified as a doctor in Belfast and emigrated to england in about 1875.  I can trace him from when he arrives in England but have little information re Ireland.  I think he may have had a brother called Richard and sisters Alicia and Emily who may have run a school in Wexford.  Their parents were possibly Richard and Alicia Shaw, and they may have owned a hardware or furniture store in Wexford town (not the modern Shaws in that town)

Any hints or suggestions would be very welcome.

Atkinson (Leake, Thirsk, Leeds); Shaw (Wexford, Ireland); Champney; Brumby (Notts, Lincs); Dermer (USA,UK); Lehnert (USA, Germany)

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: robert and richard shaw of wexford, Ireland
« Reply #1 on: Monday 16 March 09 16:47 GMT (UK) »
from Slaters Commercial Directory of 1870 - Wexford Town traders section :

Richard Shaw, North Main st  - Cabinetmakers

William Shaw, Main st - Boot & Shoe Makers/Leather Sellers

there's no sign of Richard in the previous edition - 1846

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline Jack2227

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 16 March 09 22:34 GMT (UK) »
(by kind permission of Noel Farrell)

Enniscorthy 1901;

Slaney st; (23)
Shaw Hugh, Hugh, Patrick, Margaret. (baker)

1911;
Slaney st ; (22)
Shaw Patrick & Margaret; Hugh, Thomas, (town clerk)

Offline shellback

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 25 November 09 14:19 GMT (UK) »
 Shaw's in Wexford town was previously Hadden's but before that I am almost certain that it was Shaws . I think there is or was a connection between both families.

Offline anniehadden

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Robert & Richard Shaw's business in Wexford
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 23 March 10 19:20 GMT (UK) »
In the late 1800s, George HADDEN and William HADDEN were partners in what is known as Shaw's in Wexford. The Hadden brothers were also in the drapery business.

See Dublin, Cork, and South of Ireland: a Literary, Commercial, and Social Review (1892 - Stratten & Stratten, London), viewable free on Google Books.

page 313: 

"R. H. SHAW & CO., General House Furnishers and Ironmongers, Main Street, Wexford. -- The business now carried on by this leading firm was founded forty years ago by the father of the present principal, Mr. R. H. Shaw, and is of large dimensions. Five years ago the Messrs. Hadden, the well-known local drapers, became partners with Mr. Shaw, the firm trading as above."

Also (on Haddens), see pages 310 and 314.

I'm very interested in learning more about HADDENS in Co. Wexford, trying to confirm a family story that the late Dr. George HADDEN, founder of the Wexford Historical Society (who died 1973), was related to the HADDENS of County Tyrone.  If RootsChat readers know anything further about HADDENS in Wexford, I'd appreciate hearing from you.

Annie Crenshaw

Offline Jack2227

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 23 March 10 20:01 GMT (UK) »
From 'Houses of Wexford'.

Belvedere House, Belveders rd, Wexford.
Townland; Townparks.
Addison Barnes Perrot Hadden (of Hadden's store in Wexford town) appears to have been the next owner in 1922. The Haddens were a remarkable family. In the early twentieth century, they had a seperate furniture-making premises along the west side of the house, and during the shortages of the second world war, sold scrapes and offcuts for firewood. Both A.B.Hadden and his brother, George,  were members of the Board the nearby Tate School, and George, besides being a medical doctor, was, like his wife, a Methodist missionary in China and Nigeria. He was also a very keen historian, founder of in 1944 of the Wexford Historical Society. According to George Jenkins, Dr. Hadden took Geography lessons in the Tate School, attired in his oriental dressing gown and slippers.

Offline anniehadden

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Shaws of Wexford & Dr. George Hadden
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 30 March 10 23:15 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much for that interesting and colorful information! If you have any suggestions for finding more on Dr. George Hadden and his descendants and ancestors, please let me know.

The 1877 "Chronicles of County Wexford" shows that Wexford mayors included:

1858 - John Evans Hadden
1871 - John H. Hadden

Were John Evans Hadden and John H. Hadden related to George Hadden?

Griffith's Valuation shows Haddens in Wexford:

John E. Hadden - Town of Wexford, St. Selskars parish
Ellen Hadden - Town of Wexford, St. Selskars parish
George Hadden - Town of Wexford, St. Selskars parish

George Hadden (c. 1856-1925), appears to have been the father of Dr. George W. Hadden of Wexford (1882-1973). Was George born c. 1856 the son of John Evans Hadden, or of George Hadden of Griffith's Valuation?

The 1911 census of Wexford (city) shows:

George Hadden - 55 - Male - Head of Family - Methodist - born Wexford - Alderman Jp fr Co wexford, Draper - Read & write - Married 29 yrs.    
Hannah Mary Hadden - 54 - Female - Wife - Methodist - born Cork - Read & write - Married 29 yrs - mother of 8 children - 5 living
Frances Jane Hadden - 22 - Female - Daughter - Methodist - born Wexford - Read & write -Single
Marie Annette Hadden - 19 - Female - Daughter - Methodist - Wexford - Undergraduate T C D - Read & write- Single
Margaret Carty - 32 - Female - Servant - Roman Catholic - Wexford - Cook, Domestic Servant - Cannot read/write - Single
Mary Anne Walshe - 24 - Female- Servant - Roman Catholic - Wexford - Housemaid, Domestic Servant - Read & write - Single

Several biographical writings indicate that the Haddens of Wexford were related to Dr. David Hadden, the noted famine doctor of Skibbereen who died in 1878. Dr. David Hadden was born in 1817, the son of Wesleyan minister Rev. John Hadden and an Evans wife.

I'd appreciate learning anything further on the Hadden families of Wexford and their ancestors, and am glad to share anything that I've gathered on them so far.

Annie

Offline AndrewHadden

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 08 April 10 17:30 BST (UK) »
Re. the Hadden families of Wexford,have some more information to add to the confusion.
                                            Have just started researching a Dr.William E. Hadden of Wimborne,Dorset,whose grandfather came from Wexford .
                  The grandfather was Henry Richards(sic)Hadden,born Wexford,1837.was a medical officer for the Clonakilty district in 1862,living in 15, Kenilworth Road,Rathmines,Dublin,during the 1911 census,religion stated as "brethren".2 visitors were listed,prob.relatives-a David Hadden (surgeon,born c.1847) and a Charlotte Elizabeth Hadden,both Church of Ireland.
                                             HRH had 2 children-Margaret Dorman Hadden,(born 1870)and Henry John Hadden.(1862-1929)HJH followed in his medical footsteps-graduated from Trinity College Dublin,and became a career Naval Surgeon.
Henry John in turn had 4 children with Margaret Jane Edward:
  Kathleen Annie,1898-1990
  Maureen Dorman,1903-?
  Henry Richards,1910-1986
  William E1912-c.2008all born in Mimborne,Dorset.Hope this helps,Andy.t

Offline anniehadden

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Haddens of Wexford in medical profession
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 08 April 10 18:33 BST (UK) »
Very interesting! I'll add that to my research data, and it does look as if the Wexford Haddens tended to be a medical and chemist profession family, doesn't it? If you find anything else that seems to connect to Dr. George Hadden's family, do let me know.

Thanks so much,
Annie