Author Topic: robert and richard shaw of wexford, Ireland  (Read 35552 times)

Offline anniehadden

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: robert and richard shaw of wexford, Ireland
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 03 June 10 16:06 BST (UK) »
Richard,

The Hadden letter sounds interesting! As Ms. Aghadowey says, you can write me a "personal message" (PM) and we can exchange email addresses and then you could send me a copy of the letter. If you haven't posted on this board enough, just reply to me twice and that makes "3" posts, so you can then send a personal message. You're welcome to read my posts and queries about Haddens on GenForum and RootsWeb sites -- they're one of my favorite ancestors to research.

Annie Hadden Crenshaw

Offline HugoFirst

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 04 June 10 17:24 BST (UK) »
Thanks to all contributors, who have given me valuable information and leads.  I did not know the Irish census records were online.  Indeed, I thought most had been destroyed.  The 1901 census records are the first direct confirmation I have that Shaws were still living in Wexford in 1901.  My mother was a Shaw, descended from a Richard Shaw of Wexford - interesting that I was christened Richard Henry.
I will post more on the origins of the Shaws in Ireland, and also try and forward the George Hadden letter.
Thanhs again.

Atkinson (Leake, Thirsk, Leeds); Shaw (Wexford, Ireland); Champney; Brumby (Notts, Lincs); Dermer (USA,UK); Lehnert (USA, Germany)

Offline HugoFirst

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 04 June 10 18:49 BST (UK) »
Shaws in Ireland

Some sources assert that all Shaws in Ireland are descended from a Captain William Shaw, who served in Cromwell's army in 1649, in Colonel Ponsonby's regiment. Ponsonby was knighted, and both were granted lands confiscated from Catholics, as a reward for their loyalty.
This Captain William Shaw certainly existed, although other Shaws are mentioned as serving in Cromwell's army.  It is possible that William Shaw came from the Cheshire area and that he was related to Ponsonby by marriage.

Other sources claim that Irish Shaws descend from a Captain or Colonel Shaw who served in General Ponsonby's Horse in the Army of William III.  One version of this story is that Shaw carried the wounded Ponsonby off the field at the Battle of the Boyne in 1690.  Both Shaw and Ponsonby received land in Kilkenny and Tipperary for their efforts. But documents from the period list (for example) a Patrick Shaw, three William Shaws, and James Shaw as among the founders of the Antrim Association, founded to raise and organize protestant defences during the siege of Derry in 1689.

I believe that several Shaws, possibly distantly related, came to Ireland with Cromwell and settled there, and poosibly that others came with William of Orange.  However, all were protestants.  Wexford history refers to Shaws as protestants planning to emigrate in the early 1800's and others as being imprisoned and killed in the Catholic uprising of the same period. 

Atkinson (Leake, Thirsk, Leeds); Shaw (Wexford, Ireland); Champney; Brumby (Notts, Lincs); Dermer (USA,UK); Lehnert (USA, Germany)

Offline sihuss

• RootsChat Member
  • Dudley Thomas Hussey (1871-1944)
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 25 February 11 12:16 GMT (UK) »
As part of a clean-up operation currently being carried out on Wexford's Selskar Abbey, I have been doing an inventory of the headstones there and cross-referencing it with Brian Cantwell's "Memorials Of the Dead".

Two of the ten or so inscriptions I have found there omitted by Cantwell, refer to Hadden; See below for full transcription:

Sacred
TO THE MEMORY OF
GEORGE HADDEN
WHO DIED OCTOBER 11TH 1858
AGED 33 YEARS.
ALSO HIS SONS
JOHN E. HADDEN
WHO DIED JUNE 6TH 1849.
AND
GEORGE HADDEN
WHO DIED DECEMBER 6TH 1852.
ALSO
FRANCES JANE,
WIDOW OF THE ABOVE
GEORGE HADDEN
WHO DIED JULY 10TH 1911
IN HER 90TH YEAR.

And

Beneath this Stone
are interred the Remains of
John John Evans and Ellen Hadden
children of Mr John E. Hadden
who all died under the age of
three months
also the aforesaid
JOHN EVANS HADDEN aged 52 years
died December 5th 1862
Also
DAVID BOXWELL HADDEN
grandson of the aforesaid JOHN EVANS HADDEN
and 4th son of JOHN HADDEN HADDEN
died April 1873 aged 3 months &4 days
Also
JOHN HADDEN HADDEN
4th son of the aforesaid JOHN EVANS HADDEN
died Decr 2nd 1878 aged 36 years.

There is also a Shaw Headstone, but this is NOT one of those omitted by Cantwell.   It reads:

In memory
of
Eliza Rebecca the beloved wife of
Richard Shaw of Wexford
who exchanged mortality for eternal life
on the 28th July 1867
aged 52 years
She was an affectionate wife, a devoted
mother, a sincere friend and
an humble Christian
In the same tomb repose the
dust of her six children who
mostly died in infancy
also
the above named Richard Shaw
whose happy spirit entered an house
not made with hands eternal in the heavens
on the 10th February 1878
aged 61 years
(7 lines of virtues follow)
also Alicia Shaw widow of the above named
Richard Shaw who died Dec 21s 1881 aged 54 years.

I've photographed most of the headstones also if anybody is interested.

Offline anniehadden

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Richard Shaw & George HADDEN family of wexford, Ireland
« Reply #22 on: Friday 25 February 11 14:45 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so much for sharing those tombstone inscriptions. It's wonderful to see the names, dates and relationships so clearly stated. I'd very much like to have photos of the HADDEN markers and will send you my email address separately.

Regards,
Annie

Offline HugoFirst

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 11 March 11 17:21 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the reply re Richard Shaw.  I was not aware of Cantwell's book, but am trying to locate a copy.  I also did not know that Richard Shaw was married twice, so that is helpful.  I would be very grateful for a photograph of the headstone if you can make that available. 

Best regards

Offline shellback

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 12 March 11 09:48 GMT (UK) »
Cantwell's Memorials of the Dead is not   available for sale  in hard copy. It is held for reference at Wexford County Library .However I believe that there is a CD of his work available, but from where I am not aware. I will try to find out and if I do I will post it here .

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 12 March 11 12:57 GMT (UK) »
Eneclann published this CD, and it's available for sale on their website : http://www.eneclann.ie/acatalog/Gravestone_inscriptions.html

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline shellback

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Saturday 12 March 11 16:56 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Shane, saves me the bother