Author Topic: robert and richard shaw of wexford, Ireland  (Read 35572 times)

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: robert and richard shaw of wexford, Ireland
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 08 April 10 19:27 BST (UK) »
some details of Henry R. Hadden from a medical directory of 1898 :

Hy. Richards Hadden, 68 Grosvenor rd Rathmines, Co. Dublin. M.D. St. And. 1859; F.R.C.S.I. (exam.) 1863, L. and L.M. 1859; (Dub.) Contrib. "On Compound Comminuted Fracture of Astragalus, with Dislocation of its Head,'' Dub. Med.  Press, 1865; "The Use of Ergot of Rye in Simulated Brain Softening," Med.Press Circ. 1867; "Unusual Case of Removal of Superior Maxilla" Ibid. 1869

a couple of others Hadden listings that might be of interest :

David Hadden, Infirm. House Wexford
Hy. Arthur Giles Hadden , Main Street Wexford
Herbert Howard Hadden, Medical Hall Wexford
John Evans Hadden, 26 Castlewood Ave (Rathmines)

let me know if you want me to put together details for
any of these.

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline Jack2227

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 08 April 10 20:49 BST (UK) »
From  'The Wexford War Dead'

Haden H. A. (Rank; Captain)
(Article in Wexford newspaper)

The news of the death of Capt, H.A. Hadden R.A.M.C, which took place at the county infirmary on Thursday, will occasion deep sorrow amongest his many friends in town and country.

He was a son of the late John Hadden, who filled the mayoral chair of his native town with dignity and credit to the community.
In sporting and social circles there was no more popular figure than the late Doctor 'Jer' as he was more familary known
In his earlier days Captain Hadden was a doctor in the Mercantile Marine, and for some years filled the position of Commodore Surgeon to the Allen Line.
In December 1915, he, in response to the appeal for doctors for service at the front, volunteered and was gazetted to the Royal Army Medical Corps.

His demise at the age of 49 is deeply regretted. The funeral will take place on Saturday, when a Memorial Service will be held in the Methodist Church (Rowe st) and internment in Crosstown Cemetery.

Offline AndrewHadden

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 09 April 10 19:29 BST (UK) »
Just checked the ww1 medal rolls for H.A. Hadden-couldnt find an entry,so presumably he didnt get to the front line in ww1.However,did find a Marie Annette Hadden who served as a civil medical practitioner with the General Hospital,attached Royal Army Medical Corps.almost certainlty the same MAH who is listed in the 1911 census at 19,Hill Street,Wexford as a TCD  undergraduate !!Andy. 

Offline enfield

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 13 April 10 23:16 BST (UK) »
HADDEN, H A. Rank. Captain. From an article in a Wexford newspaper;. The news of the death of Capt, H. A. Hadden, R. A. M. C, which took place at the County Infirmary, Wexford, on Thursday, will occasion deep sorrow amongst his many friends in town and country. A native of Wexford, he was a member of a family which has been long and prominently identified with public and professional life. He was the son of the late John Hadden Hadden( sic ), who filled the mayoral chair of his native town with dignity and credit to the community.
 In sporting and social circles there was no more popular figure than the late Doctor ‘Jer’, as he was more familiarly known, and his amiable disposition and genial manner won him friend wherever he went. In his earlier days Captain Hadden was a doctor in the Mercantile Marine, and for some years filled the position of Commodore Surgeon to the Allan Line. He was a popular official on various local boards, being compounder of medicines to the different dispensaries in Wexford town and anaesthetist to the County Infirmary for a long period. In December, 1915, he, in response to the appeal for doctors for service at the front, volunteered and was gazetted to the Royal Army Medical Corps. For some time he was medical officer to the military in Dublin, and subsequently went to France, being given the rank of Captain, and was attached to an Indian Cavalry Division.
 The rigours of active service undermined his constitution, and in the fierce fighting at the Somme, when heavy demands were made on his services, he contracted pleurisy. After a brief leave, though still suffering from the effects of the malary( sic ), he undertook medical duties at Salisbury Plain, and complications setting in soon after, he was obliged to retire from the service. The military authorities showed their appreciation of his sterling worth and devotion to duty by conferring on him the title of captain which he carried with him into civilian life. His retirment, however, came too late, for after a brief interval his health completely broke down and he succumbed at the County Infirmary as stated. By his death Wexford is all the poorer, for a genial and kindly gentleman has passed way.
 His demise at the age of 49 is deeply regretted, and much sympathy is felt with his relatives. The funeral will take place on Saturday, when a Memorial Service will be held in the Methodist Church ( Rowe Street ) at 2. 30pm, after which internment will take place in Crosstown Cemetery. He is not listed in any of the war dead databases.

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a40/clondaleek/hadden.jpg

Regards.
 Tom.

Offline anniehadden

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Haddens of Wexford, Ireland
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 14 April 10 00:23 BST (UK) »
Wonderful obituary! Thanks so much for sharing this and other records. Data on the Wexford Haddens is all very welcome. And, if anyone finds bits of information on Haddens (of any spelling) in County Tyrone and County Monaghan, those people are likely to be in my family tree.

Annie

Offline HugoFirst

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 21 May 10 03:39 BST (UK) »
Thanks to everyone who has added information re the Shaws and the Haddens in Wexford.
Annie - I have a copy of a letter written to me from Wexford in 1970 by George Hadden.  He was very old at the time, but he remembers a Richard Shaw and his sisters, who used to sit near him in the local methodist chapel around 1900.  He refers to them as his "cousins" and confirms that Richard was in the furniture business.  As a newcomer and infrequent user of the forum, I do not know how to send you a copy of the letter, but if you can give me some guidance on how to contact you I will be happy to do so. 
Best regards

Richard Atkinson
Atkinson (Leake, Thirsk, Leeds); Shaw (Wexford, Ireland); Champney; Brumby (Notts, Lincs); Dermer (USA,UK); Lehnert (USA, Germany)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 21 May 10 07:54 BST (UK) »
After you've made 3 posts you'll be able to use PM (personal message) system to exchange email addresses, etc.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Anydogsbody

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 03 June 10 12:53 BST (UK) »
The Irish census for 1901 gives the following for Richard Shaw in Wexford. The 1911 census brings up the family in Stonybatter, Wexford Rural.

I was aware that Dr Robert Joseph Shaw was Methodist and I am curious as to why that was. Is there any earlier history of the family in England and was their religious denomination exported to Ireland?

Richard

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Wexford/Wexford_Urban/Main_Street_North/1806277/

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!