Author Topic: Completed Thanks! Help with reading birth reg record  (Read 1840 times)

Offline Daisy Loo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • 4 generations of Prestidge, 1835-1985
    • View Profile
Completed Thanks! Help with reading birth reg record
« on: Monday 16 March 09 23:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi everyone...

Made a possible great discovery today...hoping someone might help me confirm this...
These are two entries below, one of of a George Barnett and one of a James Barnett

In Anc***ry, the record for George is illegible, but the record for James gives District as Edmonton, Vol: 3 Pg 157

On the 1851 census,  HO107; Piece: 1702; Folio: 462; Page: 1, I have George & James as 7 years old, and listed as nephews., so I'm trying to confirm that they were twins.  Can anyone confirm the entry for George, and if not, how do I go about ordering his birth cert?

All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

BARNETT- Buckinghamshire, Bedfordshire, Dorset HILSDEN/HILLSDEN/HILLSDON- Buckinghamshire, Berkshire, Canada PRESTIDGE/PRESTAGE- Warwickshire, Northamptonshire, Islington PINNIGER/PINEGAR/PINNEGAR - Wiltshire       Brambleby - Kent, Middlesex     
LEACH- Norfolk   BUTTERWORTH - Lancashire   OTTON - Somerset  LAWRENCE - Berkshire

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Help with reading birth reg record
« Reply #1 on: Monday 16 March 09 23:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi

The GRO birth entry looks like Cuckfield to me which was in Sussex

The 1851 entry shows James & George b Tottenham
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Daisy Loo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 16 March 09 23:46 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Carol, but if you look between the two, there is an entry that has been added...just above the Cuckfield entry, and in quite faint writing?

BARNETT- Buckinghamshire, Bedfordshire, Dorset HILSDEN/HILLSDEN/HILLSDON- Buckinghamshire, Berkshire, Canada PRESTIDGE/PRESTAGE- Warwickshire, Northamptonshire, Islington PINNIGER/PINEGAR/PINNEGAR - Wiltshire       Brambleby - Kent, Middlesex     
LEACH- Norfolk   BUTTERWORTH - Lancashire   OTTON - Somerset  LAWRENCE - Berkshire

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 16 March 09 23:52 GMT (UK) »
Off to get my specs checked tomorrow - just about see it and it starts Ed so looks promising

Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 16 March 09 23:55 GMT (UK) »
I can't open the image for George - only for James.  Which quarter of which year is the birth and I'll magnify it on screen from the GRO index

Offline Daisy Loo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 16 March 09 23:59 GMT (UK) »
 ;D  I had to enlarge it, and peer at it...I was so excited...have been on this family trail for a while...the mother and father weren't living together either...have found the father working (I presume live -in) as a coachman...have no idea where the mother is.

Funny thing is, James was born December 1843 (and therefore possibly JamesGeorge even!), and the parents got married in 1844...:)

I had thought the reference as well could be lll (ie, Vol 3) and the entry no. 161 ?  

Your post just came in...it JAN/FEB/MAR of 1844, and it's image no. 63 of 404 (hope that makes sense)

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 17 March 09 00:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Definitely Edmonton 111 161 but James was p 157.  If they were twins - I would have expected them to share the same page number

Offline Daisy Loo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 17 March 09 00:17 GMT (UK) »
yes, I would have too, but that he was obviously added in...so perhaps some error occurred or something.

Any ideas how I could order the birth cert of George?  Would I tek the risk and put those ref no.s?

I have James' cert, and nothing on it suggests he was a twin...BUT i have these two boys on the 1851 census...

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 17 March 09 00:32 GMT (UK) »
The cert you have for James - is it the Page 157 one?

If so - you could apply for the one for George but put a condition on it that you only want it if parents were >>>>>>>> and date of birth was (same as James)

If it's the wrong parents - the GRO will only charge a £3 search fee