Author Topic: 8,000 colour transparencies - help!!  (Read 10484 times)

Offline Maggie.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I haven't a clue about my Roots
    • View Profile
8,000 colour transparencies - help!!
« on: Tuesday 17 March 09 09:59 GMT (UK) »
They are not exactly ‘unwanted’, but I would welcome any suggestions as to how to find a home for a collection of over 8,000 colour transparencies taken by my late father, who was a keen amateur photographer and historian, as whilst they are a very precious memory of my him, storage is a problem and we have few opportunities of viewing them. 

The quality of the slides is excellent as they have been carefully stored in slotted wooden boxes and they are all annotated.  The subject matter is varied and includes many Greek, Roman and Italian historical sites, and English and Welsh cathedrals and castles.  They date from the 1960s, 70s and 80s.

I realise one obvious solution would be to digitalise them on to CDs.  What would it cost to do 8,000 though?  And would the quality be compromised?

Maggie
Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline nuff

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: 8,000 colour transparencies - help!!
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 17 March 09 11:07 GMT (UK) »
I would think that digitising them would make the collection a lot more accessible to you and anyone that wants to view them, but as you point out there would indeed be a cost. It depends what you want to spend, time or money.
If you consider the images of great importance then high resolution scanning would be necessary. this takes longer and creates larger files. For computer viewing only, much smaller files at lower resolution can be made. If the originals are to be stored in safe conditions they could be referred to later. If the quality is starting to deteriorate ( a lot of early colour slides are not very stable) or you need to dispose of the originals, then the higher quality scan, the better.

Ideally notes should be included embedded in each file, but practically it is more likely that a good index will suffice. If you have the notes written in a book or similar you could scan these as well and cross reference them to the photo index.

I inherited a, not so large as yours, collection of family pictures on slides. I have an epson scanner that has frames to hold slides with back illumination. Even scanning in batches took many weeks of spare time (best to have a good book to read whilst waiting for the scan process. I have seen other scanners that work on one at a time, but this would mean constant reloading. The resulting images I indexed by number and then took the files down to a local photo printer where we haggled a price for a complete set of prints (about 3p each if I remember correctly). This gave me a set to work with and write notes on the back and acted as a picture index to the main files. The processor had also printed the file names on the back, which meant that they were already referenced to the files.
The prints were cropped from the original format, but were good enough to work with, the original file can always be composed and printed properly if required.

In short, it is quite easy to digitise them yourself if you have the right sort of scanner, it just takes time. If you do go to a print shop, be prepared to haggle, you could save a lot on the original asking price as most prices are based on short runs.
Alternatively approach a museum or archive and ask for their opinion on the importance of the collection.

Hope this gives you a few ideas to think about.

Good luck.

nuff.

Offline Maggie.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 17 March 09 12:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi nuff,

Thanks you so much for your suggestions, which have indeed given me a few ideas to think about.  My husband does have a scanner with a frame to hold slides but our earlier attempts to scan resulted in images that were too red.  I think we need to experiment with the settings.  The scanner is old, however talk of a replacement is being muted!

My biggest problem is the time factor - it looks such a daunting task, so initially I think I must go through them 'prune' away any duplications, then concentrate on scanning a box at a time whilst indexing them.  I am conscious that I am not getting any younger and to leave this particular archive for our children to sort.... well, it would never get done.  Yet a lot of them are worth saving, if only to compare say the ruins at Olympia or Mycenae in 1965 to the ruins as they are now.

Many thanks for your helpful reply,
Maggie

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 17 March 09 12:58 GMT (UK) »
A university archaeology department may be interested in the historical sites collection.  Perhaps contact Liverpool University?

Nell
All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline nuff

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 17 March 09 14:17 GMT (UK) »
The redness could be a result of the slides starting to age. This can be corrected to a certain extent with programs like photoshop or similar.
Another useful resource can be teenage relations. If you have a computer savvy teenager to hand they are often open to the idea of being bribed rewarded, to undertake otherwise mundane tasks. They regard it as being paid to play on the computer, you get someone that is prepared to fiddle with the settings to get it right. One word of warning, do calculate the full cost if you offer "piece rate" or it can soon mount up. (Often better than a lump sum for results as it keeps them going).

nuff

Offline Maggie.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 17 March 09 17:58 GMT (UK) »
That's a good idea Nell, I hate the thought of the originals just being destroyed, in fact that won't happen in my lifetime.  My Dad studied pharmacy at Manchester University in the 1920s - it would be good if perhaps they were interested.

Nuff - my OH has just pointed out that the redness only seemed to occur with the darker slides, the brighter ones we tried were better, and as most of the more interesting stuff was taken in Mediterranean sunshine, perhaps our old scanner may be up to the job.  Your suggestion of using computer savvy teenage relations is a good one but unfortunately we are right out of teenage relations at the moment.  Perhaps in 10 years time when the grandkids have grown up a bit  :D

Maggie

Offline Aulus

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • The black sheep: Florence Stevenson née Hampson
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 24 April 09 12:05 BST (UK) »
To be - brutally, I'm afraid - frank, I don't see museums, archives or universities being especially interested.  From your description they are comparatively recent from a period when photography was readily available to and used by the masses; plus they are of subjects of which untold thousands of photographs will exist.  It would be different if your father were a famous photographer or artist.

You could get them scanned professionally, but that will cost.  I've just had a quick google, and the cheapest price of the handful of sites I looked at was 18p per slide (dearest was 40p), which is going to add up to nearly £1500 for your collection.  That might well be a price worth paying.  Think in terms of the cost of a new scanner that will do slides, probably an upgrade to the hard disk in your computer (8000 images is going to take up a lot of disk space!), and then there's all your time.

There will be cheaper, poorer quality alternatives, ranging from projecting your slides onto a screen and filming it with a video camera.  I was just sent a DVD conversion of a VHS tape of some old 16mm cine films of my parents' wedding and other family events.  The original VHS tape was made by simply pointing the video camera at the screen.  The quality is just about ok (but I don't know what sort of shape the original cine films are in).  It's nowhere near broadcast quality, but better than some of the clips on youtube!  But in terms of keeping the memories, it's absolutely fine.

I know that my father was a very keen amateur photographer, and made up slide shows from many of his images - all synched in with music played on big reel-to-reel recorders through some gizmo that combined two slide projectors and took an input from the tape to move the slides on.  Clever stuff in a pre-digital age.  But about 10-15 years ago he put a lot of these slide shows onto VHS tape.  What I can't remember was whether that was by filming the screen, or through an additional gizmo.  I suspect the latter, but I don't know what it was.  You can then convert the VHS to DVD. 

I had a quick look on ebay and there is something there called an Elmo Slide to Video Transfer Projector.  I'm sure there'll be a way to connect straight to a digital recording device rather than going via VHS, so you don't lose anything in that transfer.
Lancashire: Stevenson, Wild, Holden, Jepson
Worcs/Staffs: Steventon, Smith
East London & Suffolk: Guest, Scrutton
East London: Palfreman (prev Tyneside), Bissell, Collis, Dearlove, Ettridge
Herts: Camac, Collis, Mason, Dorrington, Siggens
Marylebone & Sussex: Cole
London & Huntingdonshire: Freeman
Bowland: Marsden, Noble
Shropshire: Guest

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Maggie.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 24 April 09 22:07 BST (UK) »
I take your point, Aulus, and agree that it is a bit unlikely that there would be much interest shown by an institution in housing thousands of slides.  The majority were taken in the late 1960s and 70s, the subject matter being the ancient sites of Greece and Italy at a time when these places were far less visited and excavated than today so perhaps there could be some interest in comparing then with now, but despite my father being a superb photographer, he was nevertheless an amateur.

There is no way that I can contemplate having the whole lot scanned professionally so at some point in the not too distant future I am going to have to go through the whole of the collection and be ruthless in what I throw away.  As I am a hoarder, this will be difficult for me!!

Regarding your suggestion of projecting them onto a screen and video-ing them, we have already considered this and I think it could be one solution.  In fact we already have a VHS tape of black and white 8mm footage taken by my father's brother in the early 1940s.  It was done by my husband exactly as you describe - by pointing the video camera at the screen, and the quality is more than adequate for keeping memories alive.  It is fascinating to watch it now, not only for what the footage shows, but because my father, his brother and their wives were unintentionally adding commentary, unaware that the video camera was recording all they were saying.  As these precious family members are no longer with us, I am so glad I have this memento of them.  It is also fascinating to have my own Christening in the 1940s safely archived!!

Thank you so much for your helpful suggestions.

Maggie

Offline nuff

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 25 April 09 11:34 BST (UK) »
Scanning the slides yourself should not be that difficult. It just takes time. The quality will be so much better than photographing a screen.
If you google 'slide scanner' you will find a great range of products available  that will do the job (from about £60 to £2500! )

You can get a simple device such as the Veho unit (which I personally have never used) or buy a scanner that can handle transparencies. I have used an Epson scanner (4870 now replaced by 4970 about £240 ) and had very succesful results the 4470 is cheaper at about £125 or even the v350 at about £75 should do the job,  so  hopefully there should be something within budget. (and you will have a scanner for more general use, although I found the 4870 rather bulky and use a smaller canon model for documents)

It takes a little playing with to work out the best settings for you, but once that is done then it is all as simple as load it up and press the button. The scanners come with software to improve the images if necessary.