Author Topic: ATTEWELL  (Read 26048 times)

Offline matilda1973

• RootsChat Senior
  • nipton and his daughters Cinderella and amelia
    • View Profile
Re: ATTEWELL
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday 25 March 09 19:44 GMT (UK) »
 hi Cathay and Deb (cousin) im here !!!
     just to update Liberty Belle Holland was born 12/1/2009 and is now just over 10 wks old  ;D a new twig to add to the ever growing trees.
 begining to find time to get back in to this so give me a yell if i can help out
             hope u r all well Matilda  ;)
travellers: Penfold, Holland, Orchard, Loveridge, saunders, James, Davis<br />Somerset/devon: Hawkins, Lane, Perryman, Saffin, Bowden, Warren<br />Yorkshire/Lincolnshire: Webster, Gleadell, Gott, Patrick, Milnes, Beverley

Offline deb usa

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Wednesday 25 March 09 19:50 GMT (UK) »
hi  ;D

Matilda, GREAT NAME!!!!!!!!!!!  :-*

Devonblue ............. Do you have the details of Maily Manley's marriage to John Attewell? What was his dad's name? all details and info may help.

deb

Travellers = Penfold, Orchard, James
Devon = Middleton,  Waterfield, Adams, Clark/e, Gould
Cornwall = Palmer, Carnarton, Slack/Smith. Morris/h
Wales, New Quay = James, Evans

All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline matilda1973

• RootsChat Senior
  • nipton and his daughters Cinderella and amelia
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Wednesday 25 March 09 19:52 GMT (UK) »
thanks Deb  :-*
   trying to keep with family traditions but not too unusal lol ;)

travellers: Penfold, Holland, Orchard, Loveridge, saunders, James, Davis<br />Somerset/devon: Hawkins, Lane, Perryman, Saffin, Bowden, Warren<br />Yorkshire/Lincolnshire: Webster, Gleadell, Gott, Patrick, Milnes, Beverley

Offline tiggi

• RootsChat Veteran
  • BETSEY SMITH/ WIFE OF NELSON BUCKLAND
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Wednesday 25 March 09 20:51 GMT (UK) »
In 1930 Census USA  Davenport Ward 4, Scott, Iowa
There is a family of Attwell
Dain Attwell               48 b Illinois  Buyer of Horses Parents English
Mary Attwell              40 b England parents English yr Immigrated 1890
Albert Attwell              18 b  Minnesota
Earl Attwell              17  b Wisconsin
Erville Attwell              13  b Iowa
Inez Attwell                7  b Iowa
Angeline Attwell       4   b Wisconsin
John Attwell               2   b Wisconsin

TENETT BUCKLAND & PLATO BUCKLAND ( MY LINEAGE)
  Buckland Smith James Stanley Lovell Loveridge Lee Cooper Penfold/Pinfold Orchard Boswell Broadway Wells

AREAS OF INTEREST CORNWALL DEVON

USA   Worton Stanley Joles Cooper  Jeffrey Small
 all English lines of Roms who are found in America

UK Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline devonblue

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Wednesday 25 March 09 21:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi, been away all day sorry.

The only details I have of this marriage is what someone in the US sent me who was asking about the family.  It is not checked or anything.

He said:

Maily Manley married John Henry Attewell on 25 May 1874 (St John's Episcopal Church)  ***WHERE?***
Marriage took place in the evening, William  Attewell and Constant and Caroline Smith were Witnesses. The record shows the place of residence for Maley (Different spelling) as Dorsetshire.

My notes in red.

Also from the Daily Arkansas Gazette Little Rock AR Sat May 30th 1874 issue 162 Col B

Sebastian (Local NEWS)

"Rev D McManus rector of the Episcopal church at this place married last Monday two gipsies John Atwell and Meley Mandley.  They are English and were raised in the Episcopal church with the doctrines of which they seemed well acquainted.  He also baptised on the same occasion two children of respectable looking gipsies who seemed to fully understand the sacredness of the rite."

As for a certificate or anything, I have absolutely zilch!!
Midlands:Bayliss, Clemo, Eburn, Evans, Finney, Mayo, Morris, Rhead, Shutt, Upton, Waterhouse, Woodward, Wright, Woolley, Wyatt, 
Devon: Gillard, Jenkins, Manfield, Morrish, Palk, Salter, Shire, Scorse, Summers, Wood,
Dorset:  Fudge, Roberts,Trowbridge,
Montgomeryshire: Evans
Norfolk: Bond, Everard, Riches,
Somerset:Clothier, Hockey, Jenkins, Shire
Ireland:Mihill, Woodward, Zumach
Scotland:Lewis
Travellers:Cooper, Davies, Hughes, Manley, Orchard, Penfold, Roberts, Small, Wells/Wills

Offline attewell1

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Friday 27 March 09 23:41 GMT (UK) »
I believe I have an idea who the mother of Dane Attwell is.  Based upon some family letters it would appear that Richard Attewell (son of Maily Manley and John Attewell) married a Muriel Pearce.  I know Richard did have a son named Dane.  Therefore I think James Pearce is actually and uncle and not the father.  I suspect Muriel Pearce is the mother and Richard Attewell the father.  Dane is a common name in my Attewell line.  I'm still digging.

I also have a Great Grand Aunt that married into the Jeffery line.  Her name was Charlotte Attewell (John and Maily's daughter.)

Offline attewell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Sunday 08 May 16 00:57 BST (UK) »
hi right I'm new on here so will try help my name is Stephen Attewell my family were travelling people with the fair and circus my middle name is john its a family name so is Henry they often overwintered in Glamorgan Swansea and more often llandeilo or lllandovery. Emmanuel was my grandfather he had brothers who emigrated to the us around that time hope this has been some help if were on the right track don't hesitate to get in touch

Offline tiggi

• RootsChat Veteran
  • BETSEY SMITH/ WIFE OF NELSON BUCKLAND
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Sunday 08 May 16 11:03 BST (UK) »
For those who are trying to place family before 1871 using variant spellings of surname whether its them or those who wrote surname cannot be certain.
Alwell -  Hatewell

1871 Town:North Weston and Portishead County/Island:   Somerset England taken in April.
Surname Alwell John & Amelia - lists in vans/tents as peddlars with 2 children Drusila & Richard

Richard birth registers in 1869 Cardiff Wales- DEATH 1943 3RD JULY • Ellenboro, Grant, Wisconsin, USA

Drusila birth according to census was born 1863/4 likely Dorset

They left months after being in Wales - 1871 a daughter Charlotte was born on USA
Birth Date:   Oct 1871 Birth Place:   Boston, Massachusetts, USA
She became partner of Leonard Jeffery son of Thomas & Amelia - they had 9 children.

Thomas & Amelia death was in 1877 USA and are my Grt Grt Uncle and Aunt he was brother of Kezia Jeffery wife of Tenet Buckland my Grt Grt grandparents.

TENETT BUCKLAND & PLATO BUCKLAND ( MY LINEAGE)
  Buckland Smith James Stanley Lovell Loveridge Lee Cooper Penfold/Pinfold Orchard Boswell Broadway Wells

AREAS OF INTEREST CORNWALL DEVON

USA   Worton Stanley Joles Cooper  Jeffrey Small
 all English lines of Roms who are found in America

UK Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline rebekahm28

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Wednesday 11 May 16 19:51 BST (UK) »
So excited to see this name I'm replying before I read all the posts. Ive been researching (attempting to...) Richard John Attewell born 1877 died 1918 and if you visit Aberkenfig in S Wales, you'll see its the very 1st name on the war memorial. My great granny's sisters brother-in-law, a fairground man who got killed in WW1. He married Celia Roberts, a Romany gypsy and they lived in Aberkenfig. PS, should add that in 1911 they camped in Abersychan woods near Newport in a wagon. My great granny was with them in a tent. Richard's father was Henry and I believe his mum was Hannah Maria. Richard & Celia's children were Ethel (who married a Mr Pearce in Bridgend 1927), Hannah, Samson (died 1914 age 1) and Grace. After Celia remarried some of the kids took the 'Williams' surname.
DEVONBLUE, I see youre researching Roberts travellers, this is my family.
Casaubon (Geneva, London), Daulinge, Berners, McMullen (Nottingham), Tabb (Leics), Mycock (Derbys & Staffs), Gilbert (Notts), Price (s Wales), Krilovs/similar, gypsy Roberts, gypsy Clark, Bexell (Sussex), gypsy Elliott, Raven, Neligan (Co Kerry), Rymer, Newton (Hull).