Author Topic: ATTEWELL  (Read 26077 times)

Offline tiggi

• RootsChat Veteran
  • BETSEY SMITH/ WIFE OF NELSON BUCKLAND
    • View Profile
Re: ATTEWELL
« Reply #36 on: Thursday 12 May 16 10:29 BST (UK) »
Hi Rebekahm

I have your ancestor Richard J Attewell  born 1877 Newport, Monmouth, Wales and he did die in Great War 1918 22nd Sept of his wounds.
At time of death given residence was Aberkenfig, Glamorgan.
Enlistment Place Cardiff he was a Private in Shropshire Light Infantry Battalion:1st Battalion Regimental Number:27355, although previously with( 52691) Welch Regt.

The family line began with Charlotte Joles daughter of Isaac & Merrily Cooper b 1826 • Colyton, Devon, England  & Richard( Henry ) Attewell b 1825 • Berkshire, England.

1881 They certainly had 2 children with them in  Worle Somerset
William b 1863 & Richard John b 1877 lists family as gypsies and he was born in Newport Wales

1901 Ross St Mary Hertfordshire A Richard Attwell b 1877 Newport lists as nephew with John & Jemima Smith travelling showman. ( As of yet cannot find link how he relates) although in census it was always relationship to head of family so suggests he was a child of John sibling unknown.

John Smith was b 1851 Herts son of Cornelius  Smith b 1814 Northampton & Hannah
Jemima was b 1849 Herts

1904 Newport Richard J  wed Celia Roberts I would suggest getting certificate to confirm fathers .

I did find:
Brother William Attewell b 1863 died 12 AUG 1893 • Cardiff, Wales according to his will
of Cardiff licensed hawker died at Treforest Glamorgan- left £40 to his widow Mary Ann

I did find
Sister Matilda BIRTH 23 JUL 1858 • LLANTWIT MAJOR,GLAMORGAN,WALES
spouse was Albert Pengelly b 1861.

Charlotte in 1901 was with her married daughter Mary ( spouse Alfred Jones)  1861 • Weston Super More, Somerset, England lists as widow and died 1907  Pontypridd, Glamorgan which was where family lived.

Why parents are given as Henry Attewell and Hanna Maria when he he died cannot explain although both had passed away several years previous.
Richard death 1899 Cardiff & Charlotte 1907  Pontypridd, Glamorgan
TENETT BUCKLAND & PLATO BUCKLAND ( MY LINEAGE)
  Buckland Smith James Stanley Lovell Loveridge Lee Cooper Penfold/Pinfold Orchard Boswell Broadway Wells

AREAS OF INTEREST CORNWALL DEVON

USA   Worton Stanley Joles Cooper  Jeffrey Small
 all English lines of Roms who are found in America

UK Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline rebekahm28

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Friday 13 May 16 09:24 BST (UK) »
Yes that ties in with what I've confirmed, many thanks. I'm just confused to Charlotte / Hannah Maria...who was Richards mother? I havent got his birth cert to hand to check but Charlotte would have been too old. Yet she was married to the father, poss 1st wife? Richard and Celia lived on Dunraven Street in Aberkenfig when he went off to war, just by Celia's parents. Celia and her sisters were fortune tellers and Celia later remarried and moved to Bridgend where she took in lodgers.  The marriage cert does confirm fathers and we knew of the Somerset link with Richard; I think Celia's parents had also travelled through Somerset from Sussex before they came to Newport then Aberkenfig where they finally settled. They had a scrapyard in Pontypridd too. I can give info on Richard and Celia's children and grandchildren if required. On the birth record he's just Richard. On marriage he's Richard John.
PS 1901 census in Ross with John & Jemima Smith. John was born in Much Marcle and the Smiths were a hawking family who were in Lydney in 1891. Possibly Jemima he was related to.
Ive also found a James Henry Attewell born 1874 in Newport but unsure where he fits in.
Casaubon (Geneva, London), Daulinge, Berners, McMullen (Nottingham), Tabb (Leics), Mycock (Derbys & Staffs), Gilbert (Notts), Price (s Wales), Krilovs/similar, gypsy Roberts, gypsy Clark, Bexell (Sussex), gypsy Elliott, Raven, Neligan (Co Kerry), Rymer, Newton (Hull).

Offline tiggi

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Friday 13 May 16 19:30 BST (UK) »

Does anyone have any idea who this is ?

16 Mar 1828 ( B 4th Jan 1828)  James Attewell christened Cirencester, Gloucestershire, England
James & Amelia states - travellers.
  Buckland Smith James Stanley Lovell Loveridge Lee Cooper Penfold/Pinfold Orchard Boswell Broadway Wells

Offline attewellm

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Saturday 04 June 16 23:21 BST (UK) »
I can confirm that Richard Attewell's parents were Henry Attewell and Hannah Maria Loveridge.  From their marriage certificate it indicates that they were married on April 24, 1876.  Henry's father was Richard on the cert.  From other records, I have determined Henry's mother was Charlotte Joles.

Richard and Charlotte had at least 3 other children (Mary, Matilda and William).  I believe my great grandfather (John Attewell who married Maley Manley) might be another of their children but I cannot definitively prove it.  Hannah died in April of 1879 and Henry remarried Rebecca.  Henry and Rebecca had several children of their own children including Fiance, Albert, Emmanuel, Cissy, Sophia, Priscilla and May.  I have more information and am happy to share.  I would love to know Rebecca's last name as well as find a definitive link with my Attewell's in the US.  Regards,

Mike. 

Offline attewell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Sunday 05 June 16 18:34 BST (UK) »
HI HOPE THIS MAY BE OF HELP MY DAD WAS HENRY ATTEWELL MY GRANDAD WAS EMANUEL ATTEWELL MY GRATE GRANDAD WAS HENRY ATTEWELL MARRED REBECCA [SCAMP] IM AWAY FROM HOME AT THE MOMENT AND DONT HAVE ANY DATES BUT HAVE THEM IF YOUR INTERESTED

Offline rebekahm28

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Sunday 05 June 16 18:55 BST (UK) »
Ok many thanks, Im pleased to have found you all. If you want information about Richard let me know. Interesting that Rebecca was a Scamp, lots of them (and Loveridge's) about still, proper Romany. Attewell's live around Newport, where Richard (Henry & Hannah's s son) settled. Richard died in WW1 so anyone related can join the RTFHS march in London but you need to contact them asap. Attewell, who was your mum?
Casaubon (Geneva, London), Daulinge, Berners, McMullen (Nottingham), Tabb (Leics), Mycock (Derbys & Staffs), Gilbert (Notts), Price (s Wales), Krilovs/similar, gypsy Roberts, gypsy Clark, Bexell (Sussex), gypsy Elliott, Raven, Neligan (Co Kerry), Rymer, Newton (Hull).

Offline attewell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Monday 06 June 16 02:10 BST (UK) »
hi my mothers name was joan harris my dad henry died when I was very young but I remember going to see loveridge,s who were family I think in porthcawl my grandmother who marred Emmanuel attewell was a Mary Hughes a welch farmer her mother a Mary Price Irish traveler

Offline tiggi

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Monday 06 June 16 10:23 BST (UK) »
Hi all

I found this marriage cannot confirm right couple,but not found a Rebecca Scamp marriage.
With Hannah death in April of 1879, it does fit he remarried following year.

Name   Anna Maria Attewell
Estimated Birth Year   abt 1855
Registration Year   1879
Registration Quarter   Apr-May-Jun
Age at Death   24
Registration district   Cardiff
Inferred County   Glamorganshire
Volume   11a
Page   190

Marriage :
Henry Atwell to Rebecca Railey
Registration Year:   1880
Registration Quarter:   Apr-May-Jun
Registration district:   Carnarvon
Parishes for this Registration District:
Inferred County:   Caernarvonshire
Volume:   11b
Page:   677

Looking at the 1911 Census they say wed 30 years ( thus wed 1881) and had 5 children all living, I think Sophia was known as Cissy, so only one child using 2 names.

I think Fiance was Hannah daughter  b APRIL 1879 Gower Glamorgan, which fits with Hannah death maybe cause was to do with birth and sadly Fiance did not survive registered death was JANUARY 1880 • Cardiff, Glamorganshire.

This also then make sense Richard Attewell was son of Henry & Hanna Maria born JULY 1877 • Newport, Monmouthshire and was with his grandparents Richard Attewell & Charlotte Joles in 1881 Worle Somerset having lost his mother and sister Fiance and his father remarried Rebecca in same year.
1904 He returned to Wales and married Celia Roberts
Registration Quarter   Oct-Nov-Dec
Registration district   Newport
Inferred County   Monmouthshire
Volume   11a
Page   509

He also named a daughter Annie Maria after his mother below is her death.
Name:   Annie M M E Attewell
Birth Date:   abt 1910
Date of Registration:   Dec 1918
Age at Death:   8
Registration district:   Bridgend
Inferred County:   Glamorganshire
Volume:   11a
Page:   1441
SAVE

Offline tiggi

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Monday 06 June 16 11:24 BST (UK) »
Hi all

Both Henry & Rebecca death registers were in Llanelly Carmarthenshire.

Rebecca death was 1946 19th Dec and at time living  *The Caravan Danybank Pembrey Carmarthenenshire she was widowed as Henry death was  Dec 1935 Llanelly Carmarthenshire , she left money to her daughter Priscilla according to will who was spinster at time. Priscilla died 1970 June death registered  Llanelly Carmarthenshire and assuming she never married.