Author Topic: Help with Birth Announcements  (Read 2097 times)

Offline PrueM

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Please don't try to PM me :)
    • View Profile
Re: Help with Birth Announcements
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 18 March 09 19:28 GMT (UK) »
You're right Alison - it is William Craig, not Cray as I wrote!  Don't know where I got that from  ::)

Fairly sure the word after William Geddes's name relates to his occupation - that's the usual format of these things.  The first letter of the word matches the other "M"s in the text  :)

Offline ali607

• RootsChat Veteran
  • GG Grandad John Collier 'The Contratenor Singer'
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 18 March 09 19:43 GMT (UK) »
yes it is Mert = merchant now i look

Alison
Surname interests:<br />Salter, Fulford, Woodcock, Finney, Tissington, Driscoll, Shea, Maxfield, Collier, Hughes, Williams, Petty, Pearson, Prescott, Baldwin, <br /><br />Area interests:<br />West Riding Yorkshire: Rotherham, Hemsworth, Darfield, Sheffield<br />Worcestershire/Staffordshire: Oldbury, West Bromwich, Halesowen, White Heath<br />Lancashire: Wigan, Aspull, <br />Nottinghamshire: Worksop<br />erbyshire:alfreton, ironville, codnor

Offline wdermot

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 18 March 09 21:18 GMT (UK) »
thanks very much for all your help,
i thought one of the words was lady, but i'm so used to labourers i can't really believe this! The column with the skipper/S Kepper word, is headed Occupation so I guess it must be skipper, but presumably that could mean the captain of a fishing boat not necessarily a big boat, also do you think Wm would mean William? There sure were a lot of them.

Thanks again for all your help

Dermot
walsh , boyle, inglis, finlay, geddes, lawson, mcgeechan, mcgee, gilliland .  69th foot, Scots Guards, Inniskilling Fusiliers , Mesenberg POW.  Co meath, glasgow, donegal; fermoy Co. cork,

Offline ali607

• RootsChat Veteran
  • GG Grandad John Collier 'The Contratenor Singer'
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 18 March 09 21:21 GMT (UK) »
yes Wm definitely William

Alison
Surname interests:<br />Salter, Fulford, Woodcock, Finney, Tissington, Driscoll, Shea, Maxfield, Collier, Hughes, Williams, Petty, Pearson, Prescott, Baldwin, <br /><br />Area interests:<br />West Riding Yorkshire: Rotherham, Hemsworth, Darfield, Sheffield<br />Worcestershire/Staffordshire: Oldbury, West Bromwich, Halesowen, White Heath<br />Lancashire: Wigan, Aspull, <br />Nottinghamshire: Worksop<br />erbyshire:alfreton, ironville, codnor

Offline PrueM

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Please don't try to PM me :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 18 March 09 21:22 GMT (UK) »
Wm would definitely be William  :)  They weren't very imaginative with names, were they!

I'm unconvinced by Skipper, but then again I don't know whether the word was used up that way (i.e Scotland), so it could be right.  It just doesn't 'look' right to me.