Author Topic: Information please about Ship Owner Charles A Jerrett.  (Read 19265 times)

Offline SamnJoan

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Information please about Ship Owner Charles A Jerrett.
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 19 March 09 14:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi Nik

Fantastic ;D

Actually this is not the right Robert, but Morchard Bishop is only about five miles from where my Jerretts come from in Sandford, Devon (both are in the Creditin area).   So they could well be related somehow.

My Robert, the Master Mariner, was b 1815 in Sandford, parents James b1780 and Mary Cousins.   Robert married Sarah Strong b1813 Sandford and Samuel Strong Jerrett, the ship owner, was their youngest son.   Another son, Robert, was also in a sailor in the merchant service according to the 1861 census.

Thankyou for all that information, it gives me something to go on :)

Joan 
Adams - Berkshire
Bell - Berkshire
Forrest - Ellon Aberdeenshire, Govan Glasgow
Hendry - Aberdeenshire
Jerrett - Devon, Lancashire
McMillan - Belfast Ireland, Govan Glasgow
MacMillan - Vancouver Canada
Thornley - Warwickshire
Wernham - Chieveley Berkshire

Offline aljerrett

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 15 April 09 00:45 BST (UK) »
  Charles Arthur Jerrett  born August 1866 in Brigus Newfoundland (now part of Canada),  Died 07 April 1935 in Brigus. Was married to Anna Antle and they had six children.  His Father was George Churchill Jerrett born Jan 1836 in Exeter, Devonshire, England. Died 1 Nov 1904 Slough, England.  His Mother was Charlotte Prowse born Jan 1836 Stokeinteign, Devonshire. They where married  24 April 1860 in St. Andrews Church in Stokeinteign.  Charle's grandchildren now live in Brigus, Newfoundland and Labrador, Canada.

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 15 April 09 16:22 BST (UK) »
The only in H. Oxner I can see in Chester Basin Nova Scotia is this Howard, who is also a merchant. But can't see any ship building associated with him, either...
://www.automatedgenealogy.com/census11/View.jsp?id=68575&highlight=44
I found a  Jasper Oxner who built the " Freedom" Schooner - 1844 Londonderry

Geo. Churchill Jerrett's christening has mother as Marianne
JAMES Jerret married Mary Ann Churchill Mar.31 1834, Saint Mary Major, Exeter

If there is a Sanford connection there's these to look into from IGI extracted files...:
There's a christening....
James Jerrett -Aug 1, 1803, Sandford, Devon to a James & a Mary
also a Thomas & 2 Roberts...one of whom might be your Robert

James Jarrett & Mary Cousins marry Dec. 26, 1802 Sanford

"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 15 April 09 17:04 BST (UK) »
Joan...This person says he has the Jerrets back to the 1600's so if that's more than you have ...
http://genforum.genealogy.com/jerrett/messages/148.html

also there is this spelling John Baugh JARRETT of Wales, but also a ship-owner, in case that name ever turns up.
http://www.rhiw.com/census_llyn/nefyn_01.htm

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 15 April 09 17:42 BST (UK) »
Did the site say built in 1901 or acquired in 1901...looking into the actual ship...find that there were three ships called "Canadian" that were owned by the allan line steamship co.  (each replacing another, lost earlier in the 1800's...I can't find when the 3rd ship stopped running...
but do notice ships "Canadian" trips from 1879 to 1891 seem mostly marked as Allan ships, but the later trips Liverpool to Boston from 1907 to 1911 are not marked at all for ownership...might be a clue to follow...J.J.

Offline SamnJoan

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 15 April 09 18:26 BST (UK) »
Hi J.J.

Wow, I'm overwhelmed with all that information ;D   I'll have to look into it .

My information about the ship the 'Canadian' came from the Lloyds Register for 1906-7.   Gross tonnage 137, built 1901 by H Oxner, Chester Basin, NS.    Owned by C A Jerrett.   97.8 long/25.9 wide/10.04 deep (feet presumably).   Port of registry Lunnenberg, NS - British.   Don't know if that will help at all.

It's good to have the name of the shipping line, as we may be able to find out something more in the Maritime Museum in Liverpool when we get the chance to go there again.

My Jerrett tree also goes back to about 1610 and is very much Sandford based, but that is very close to Exeter.   So it's just a matter of linking everything together.   I think I have come across the person who you mention, but will check.

Thankyou for the birth of George Churchill Jerrett and the marriage of his parents.   James Jerrett and Mary Cousins are definitely mine.

Haven't had time yet to go into all the websites, but they sound very interesting.

I do appreciate all the trouble you have gone to.   Thankyou :)

Joan
Adams - Berkshire
Bell - Berkshire
Hendry - Aberdeenshire
Thornley - Warwickshire

Offline SamnJoan

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 15 April 09 18:41 BST (UK) »
Hi aljerrett

Welcome to rootschat.

Thankyou very much for the information on Charles Arthur Jerrett, his parents and decendants.   It's good to know that there is still family living in the area.   We are hoping that we can make another visit to NS one day and now perhaps extend it to Newfoundland to search for the family.

Regards

Joan

Adams - Berkshire
Bell - Berkshire
Hendry - Aberdeenshire
Thornley - Warwickshire

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 15 April 09 19:54 BST (UK) »
Sorry, Joan...need to clarify that the ships prior to turn of the century were marked allan line...not the later, so your Canadian may or may not have been the unmarked one...
Here is the url I thought I had posted in the last reply...my paste feature has been glitching me lately
http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/databases/passenger/001045-100.01-e.php?PHPSESSID=ur0uhltsf7vsvmgn68ciaqj1l3

you may want to see if any of them are marked with Gross tonnage 137 as it sometimes is marked on the beginning pages...If it was a merchant ship, privately owned, it wouldn't belong to a fleet line....and would only carry few passengers if any...that's why I wondered if that was perhaps the ship....
....J.J.