Author Topic: Brampton family  (Read 9071 times)

Offline snooka

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Brampton family
« on: Tuesday 17 March 09 23:32 GMT (UK) »
I have managed to trace my ancestors back to Presteigne. My Great great great grandma was Katherine Burgoyne who married Theophlius Brampton in 1842.  His father was Edward Brampton. Does anyone know if any Bramptons still live in Prestigne. How can I trace back to ancestors before 1837.
Thanks

Snooka

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Brampton family
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 18 March 09 00:01 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to RootsChat, snooka

Are you certain they were from presteigne???

Their marriage is registered in Jun qtr 1842 presteigne and Knighton DISTRICT (which covers part of Radnorshire and part of Herefordshire)

1851 (if I have te correct family) they are living in Brynmaur breconshire Theophilus b Peterchurch Hereford, Catherine b Lyonshall herefordshire -some of the children were b Lyonshall and some Brynmaur

haven't found them living in Radnorshire ?????

This looks like christening
Theophilus Brampton
c. 8 Dec 1816
peterschurch herefordshire
father Edward brampton
mother Anne

and marriage
Theophilus brampton
father Edward brampton
married
Katherine Burgynne
father james Burgynne
26 May 1842
Lyonshall herefrdshire

(from UK christening and marriage records )

Do you have Theophilus and Katherine/Catherine on census in Radnorshire???? I can't find them anywere in Radnorshire???????
Or are you mistaking the marriage registration district as the town where they married???????
Suz
Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 18 March 09 00:09 GMT (UK) »
this looks like Catherine with her family in 1841

Crackdovery??(difficult to read)
Parish of Lyonshall (comes in presteigne reg district)
Herefordshire
james Burgwynne 60 Mason
Catherine 55
catherine 25
William 20
Thomas 10
Sarah 10
Elizabeth 2
John Wooding 1
all b in county
HO107 426 19 10 14

(John Wooding was with Theophilus and catharine in 1851 -described as nephew)

Suz
Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 18 March 09 00:42 GMT (UK) »
these could be Theophilus siblings

all christened peterchurch Hereford
all to parents Edward/Anne
Thomas Brampton c 22 Aug 1813
Anne brampton c.15 feb 1815

there is also an Edward brampton c 1785 parents Edward/mary - apossibility for Theophilus'father????

You can look these up on IGI at family search

Please let us know if I have the correct family

Suz

Offline snooka

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 18 March 09 11:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi Suzard

Thanks for details.  I have marriage certificate for Theophlius and Kathrine dated 26 May 1842 in the Parish of Lyonshall.  The first 4 born children were at Presteigne and Crickhowell, the rest were born in Birmingham. Had 8 children in all.  Got Edward Brampton and James Burgoyne from marriage certificate, want to try and get birth certs for Kathrine and Theophlius b 1814 and 1817 - any idea where can I find them?  Edward and James will be my great, great, great, great gandparents - wow!!

Tell I'm new - what is IGI

Thanks

Snooka

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 18 March 09 12:01 GMT (UK) »
Hi Snooka,

I will help you all I can.

There are no birth certificates pre Sept qtr 1837.

Registration was not introduced untill then, but even then (although majority did register) it was not compulsory.

So you have to look in parish records, church records etc

I have given you the baptisms of Theophilus and Katherine which we have to rely on in place of birth certs. Sometimes the actual d.o.b. is recorded -sometimes just the date of baptism. Many children were baptised shortly after birth, but somtimes families baptised 2 or 3 children at the same time - which can lead to you thinking they were twins-or even triplets. So it is wise to remember that baptism dates are not birth dates.
From the baptism records you get the parents names - then it is work back from there using parish records.

another thing to remember is that the birth/marriage/ death records give the DISTRICT of registration (which can cover parts of two or even three counties)-not the actual birthplace -although the actual birthplace will come within that reg district.
e.g. my family were registered in basford district - now there is a place called Basford in Nottinghamshire- and I have seen many make the mistake of putting Basford as their p.o.b. - but Basford reg district covers part of Nottinghamshire and part of Derbyshire -and my ancestors were born in Derbyshire-

I'll be back in a mo

Suz

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 18 March 09 12:45 GMT (UK) »
The IGI (International Genealogical Index) is available to view (free) at www.familysearch.org (somtimes known as the Mormon site!) It has birth/marriages/deaths  which are transcribed from parish records(and are still being added to) -some of the submissions are "member submitted" - treat these as a guide only somtimes they are correct- but often they are nothing more than a guess which have been submitted by a member of the LDS church.

You can also view the 1881 census (among other things) on that site.

You have done the correct thing in ordering the marriage cert - which will give names of fathers and occupations -and witnesses are sometimes useful -as they can be family members.

my advice is don't concentrate on getting as far back as you can at first - without fully researching each family-sometimes you have to go sideways to get further back!!!

e.g. 1841 census I posted wih James and Catherine burgynne has 1 yr old  John Wooding  with them
1851 had John Wooding with Theophilus and katherine and described as "nephew" - so that possibly means he was the son of one of katherine's sisters who married a "Wooding" you could then look for her baptism - the ages of children can give a rough idea of when the parents married -so you know what timescale to be looking for for a marriage.

also Elizabeth (age 2 ) in 1841 -it seems is catherine's illegit daughter

There are all kinds of avenues to explore.

Do you have all of the census for Theophilus and catherine???

Any questions - please ask - there are a lot of Rootschatters willing to help -and between us all have a lot of information.

This is a very friendly site - and am sure you will enjoy using it - and receive the help you need.

look forward to your posts

Suz

Offline snooka

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 20 March 09 23:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi Suz

Many thanks for all the info you have sent, it helped a lot.  Will look at IGI site, see what they have.  I've been lucky with my mum's side of the family as ancestors lived in Plymouth, Birmingham, Presteigne and have got most of family certificates, the other side of the family (mum's dad) not so good - he was a Mitchelmore and there are lots of them, not a lot to go on.

Will let you know how it goes.

Take care

Snooka

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 20 March 09 23:23 GMT (UK) »
look forward to hearing

happy hunting and don't be afraid to post a request when you need to !

Suz