Author Topic: 1918-1920, labour corps, Cologne, Germany  (Read 7701 times)

Offline zak

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
1918-1920, labour corps, Cologne, Germany
« on: Wednesday 18 March 09 20:30 GMT (UK) »
My grandfather served in the West Riding Regiment during the First World War. In June 1919 he had transferred to the labour corps, where he was a private (number 615172), and was serving in Cologne. I know this because I have a postcard from him. By mid-1920 he was a patient in the Royal Derby mental hospital and was later transferred to a local mental hospital where he remained for the rest of his life as a 'service' patient. Please could someone help me to find out what he was doing during 1919 until early 1920 that had such a devastating effect on his life. many thanks

Offline Yorkslass

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: 1918-1920, labour corps, Cologne, Germany
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 18 March 09 22:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi Zak,

What was your grandfather's name?
If it begins with A - N, I'll have a look on the WWI Service Records.
I expect you know that not all of them survived....
I'll also search the WWI Pension Records.

Yorkslass
Norris, London 1800's
Bird, Gt Yarmouth 1800's
Smowton, Yarmouth/Norwich 1770
Dublack, Yarmouth
Binks, Essex
Wilcock, Lancashire
Kettlewell, Yorkshire

Offline mmm45

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 19 March 09 09:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi Zak
Ernest didnt deploy overseas til after 1916.
Where was he from? There are a number of Service records to his name on Ancestry.Its tying it to number and address.
Lots of things could have had an effect on him.Maybe he was Graves Registration on the battlefield clearances?
His Labour Corps number may prove the answer.

Ady
Lowe(Lower Gornall-Castleford)
Blackburn (Castleford)
Sidwell(Ledsham)
Fairburn(Hartshead)
Wood(Liversedge)
Tallon (Whittington Lancs/Hartshead West Yorkshire)

Researching all Great War soldiers from the Spen Valley of West Yorkshire Especially lads from the Cleckheaton Company of 1/4th West Riding Regiment.

Offline zak

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 19 March 09 19:42 GMT (UK) »

Thanks for your reply. My grandfather's name was Ernest Broadbent and he came from Halifax. After the war he was in a mental hospital near Huddersfield. I've found his medal card but have been unable to find his service record. I haven't looked for a pensions record as at the time I didn't know that he received one. His army number in the West Riding Regiment was 300164.
Zak

Offline zak

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 19 March 09 19:50 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for your reply Ady.  Now you've got me intrigued! How do you know he probably didn't go overseas until after 1916? His labour corps number was 615172. Do you know how I can find anything else about my grandfather from this number? Whom can I contact? Can I find out anything from Kew? Do I need more information first? And just out of interest, how did you know my grandfather's name was Ernest? Questions, questions! And any help very much appreciated.

Offline mmm45

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 20 March 09 20:24 GMT (UK) »
Zak
He wasnt awarded a 1915 Star according to his medal index card.If had deployed overseas before Jan 1916 he would have got that.
I did a search on his Labour Corps number on the NA online site which gave me his WRR number as well as Labour Corps one.That gave me his name ;)

If his record survived it will be on ancestry.You say he was an Halifax lad If you get in touch with the library there they have the West Riding Regiment Great War Enlistment books there so he may have an entry in it.

***ALSO I WAS SLIGHTLY OUT IN BATTALIONS He was possibly 6th Batt as his 300*** Number fall into that category.*********

Was he at Storthes Hall Hospital?

Ady :)
Blackburn (Castleford)
Sidwell(Ledsham)
Fairburn(Hartshead)
Wood(Liversedge)

Researching all Great War soldiers from the Spen Valley of West Yorkshire Especially lads from the Cleckheaton Company of 1/4th West Riding Regiment.

Offline Yorkslass

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 20 March 09 22:16 GMT (UK) »
Hello again Zak,

I've had a look on Ancestry but no joy I'm afraid - I've searched under his name and both of his regimental numbers, but nothing on either the Service Records or the Pensions Records.

If he was at Storthes Hall Hospital, as Ady mentions, there may be some records at the West Yorkshire Archive Service at Wakefield.

Here's a link to a Collections Guide on Health Records, and it mentions Admission/Discharge registers and case files for Storthes Hall - starting from 1904 to the 1990's.  http://www.archives.wyjs.org.uk/downloads/Collections%20Guide%207.pdf

Good luck,
Yorkslass
Norris, London 1800's
Bird, Gt Yarmouth 1800's
Smowton, Yarmouth/Norwich 1770
Dublack, Yarmouth
Binks, Essex
Wilcock, Lancashire
Kettlewell, Yorkshire

Offline mmm45

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 21 March 09 11:02 GMT (UK) »
Zak
what area of Halifax was he living in 1914-18? Its a post 1917 Service number for the West Ridings .
Ady
Blackburn (Castleford)
Sidwell(Ledsham)
Fairburn(Hartshead)
Wood(Liversedge)

Offline zak

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 21 March 09 20:36 GMT (UK) »

Thanks for getting back to me Ady. I'll try the Halifax library - sounds a good idea. He lived at Salterhebble, Halifax before the war.
Yes he was in Storthes Hall.
I've got all the information from his time there from Wakefield archives - they have been brilliant. I'm now trying to complete the picture by finding out what work he was involved in between 1919 and 1920. What I cannot understand is that if he was suffering from mental health then why did he continue in the army after the war ended and why did he transfer to the labour corps? His records are not at the national archives but those of his 2 brothers are, which suggests to me that they have not been destroyed. Is there a possibility that his army record went with him to the Royal Derby hospital if he was admitted there as a service patient? I think my next step may be to try there.