Author Topic: Help with a surname , please  (Read 20272 times)

Offline Huckleberry3333

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Help with a surname , please
« Reply #27 on: Monday 20 August 18 17:09 BST (UK) »
Hi Megan (or anyone else looking for these people),

I was hoping we could try to solve this together as I am also stuck. I am a descendant of James McGrath/Craugh (1857-1926 Born Rathdowney and died Laois, Ireland). You said he was married to a different Mary I am wondering where you got that information because I know he was married to Mary Whelan (b. 1864 Ireland). I know this is correct because my grandfather knew James and Mary. I have the same dates of birth/death and towns in Ireland so I am pretty sure this is the correct James but now I am second guessing. Is there anything else you have found out about him that can help assure me this is the correct James?

Also, I have Martins parents as John Creagh (1801-1841) and Mary Brouthers (1801-1899) but there also seems to be a Mary Galway he was married too. Confused about that.

Final confusion ha! I have John Creagh (1801-1841)'s parents as Reverand John Bagwell Creagh (1772-1846) married to a Gertrude Miller (1780-1844). Not sure if this is correct. Anyway, if Megan or anyone else out there is looking for the same people or can confirm or deny what I have it would be greatly appreciated! 

Thanks,
Holly

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Monday 20 August 18 17:19 BST (UK) »
Hi Megan (or anyone else looking for these people),

I was hoping we could try to solve this together as I am also stuck. I am a descendant of James McGrath/Craugh (1857-1926 Born Rathdowney and died Laois, Ireland). You said he was married to a different Mary I am wondering where you got that information because I know he was married to Mary Whelan (b. 1864 Ireland). I know this is correct because my grandfather knew James and Mary. I have the same dates of birth/death and towns in Ireland so I am pretty sure this is the correct James but now I am second guessing. Is there anything else you have found out about him that can help assure me this is the correct James?

Also, I have Martins parents as John Creagh (1801-1841) and Mary Brouthers (1801-1899) but there also seems to be a Mary Galway he was married too. Confused about that.

Final confusion ha! I have John Creagh (1801-1841)'s parents as Reverand John Bagwell Creagh (1772-1846) married to a Gertrude Miller (1780-1844). Not sure if this is correct. Anyway, if Megan or anyone else out there is looking for the same people or can confirm or deny what I have it would be greatly appreciated! 

Thanks,
Holly

There are Registers posted but you'd need to check what Religion the Registers are!!  Are they RC registers??

Nobody has said what Religion they were researching.
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline mkftandc

• RootsChat Senior
  • James P. Flanigan 1905-1983 Craigneuk,Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Monday 20 August 18 21:33 BST (UK) »
Hi Holly,
 I can give you more information as this post was from 2009. James McGrath was married to Mary Bergin only. He died in Durrow, Laois. I think you might have another James McGrath. James’ father was Martin Cragh/ McGrath who died in Ballyragget, Kilkenny.
 His grandparents were John Craugh and Mary Brouthers and they immigrated to Penn Yan and died there. There is no record of John Craugh’s parents as no record exists. I search page by page of the Catholic parish registers and it’s not in there. His father could not be the Rev. you spoke about as this is a catholic family.
  I hope this clears something’s up for you.
Megan
SCOTLAND-
Flanigan,McGrory,ONeill,Farrell
Craigneuk,Motherwell and Glasgow

ENGLAND-
Flanigan,Corrigan - Bedfordshire

IRELAND-
Flanigan,McAdams,Donnelly,Daley -Co. Monaghan
Flanigan,Doherty,McGrory,Collins,McQuelin-Co. Armagh
Farrell,McPoland,Devlin,Cull,McMahon-Co. Down
ONeill,Feeney-Co. Offaly
McGrath,Creagh,Craugh,OKeeffe,Brouthers,Frye-Co. Laois and Co. Kilkenny
Kelly,McInnerney,Marrinan,Falsey,Blackhall-Co. Clare

Mystery**
Johnston - immigrated to Michigan,USA from ?

Offline Huckleberry3333

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Tuesday 28 August 18 23:12 BST (UK) »
Thanks Megan. So I have all the same information with the exception of the wife being Mary Whelan. So let me explain what I know.... everything the same as you except James McGrath (or A James McGrath haha) married my great grandmother Mary Whelan, had children with her and then divorced her for another woman. Is it possible after he divorced Mary Whelen he married Mary Bergin? If you look at Martin Creagh's Griffins evaluation you also see a John Whelan (this is the name of Mary's father) as well as a Mary Whelan (Mary's mother). That would be a huge coincidence. Do you have documentation on when James and Mary Bergin married? That might help. Are you a genealogist? Thanks for the help!

Martin Creagh's Griffith Valuation:
https://www.ancestry.com/interactive/1269/32504_Queens_01-G06/1660338?backurl=https://www.ancestry.com/family-tree/person/tree/151847786/person/222035081830/facts/citation/742045784628/edit/record

Offline mkftandc

• RootsChat Senior
  • James P. Flanigan 1905-1983 Craigneuk,Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Wednesday 29 August 18 02:05 BST (UK) »
Hi Holly,
 I can tell you without any doubt that James McGrath was only married to Mary Bergin. They spent their whole life in Durrow, Laois. James was a grocer and eventually his daughter and son in law took over the business and expanded it. It was called Sheeran’s
 You have the wrong family. This James McGrath was born under the names James Cray in Rathdowney, Laois to Martin Cragh and Ann Fry.
Martin Cragh’s father is listed on Griffiths on Moore St in Rathdowney under the name John Creagh, so is Martin’s father in law, Samuel Fry.
 Martin Cragh and Ann Fry eventually moved to  Ballyragget, Kilkenny living on High St and that is where he had a bakery and went under the name McGrath. His 2 sons that did not immigrate to Penn Yan, NY were John and James. John staying on high st and James moving to Durrow.
 James was bapt 8 Jul 1857 under the name James Cray in Rathdowney Catholic register. He married Mary Bergin on 30 Aug 1877 in Ballyragget, Kilkenny and he died 20 May 1926 in Durrow, Laois. They had 8 children together.
I am sorry to say that you have attached my family as yours. This is not your James McGrath, mine was never divorced. I know there are several trees on ancestry by various cousins of mine that have this family on there and that maybe where you have attached him to your family but without any doubt I can tell you that this James was never divorced and was only 20 yrs old when he got married and then went on to have 8 children so he was fairly busy. All of these dates are easily verified in the catholic parish registers and also at irishgenealogy.ie if you would like to confirm on your own.
Megan
SCOTLAND-
Flanigan,McGrory,ONeill,Farrell
Craigneuk,Motherwell and Glasgow

ENGLAND-
Flanigan,Corrigan - Bedfordshire

IRELAND-
Flanigan,McAdams,Donnelly,Daley -Co. Monaghan
Flanigan,Doherty,McGrory,Collins,McQuelin-Co. Armagh
Farrell,McPoland,Devlin,Cull,McMahon-Co. Down
ONeill,Feeney-Co. Offaly
McGrath,Creagh,Craugh,OKeeffe,Brouthers,Frye-Co. Laois and Co. Kilkenny
Kelly,McInnerney,Marrinan,Falsey,Blackhall-Co. Clare

Mystery**
Johnston - immigrated to Michigan,USA from ?

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Wednesday 29 August 18 02:14 BST (UK) »
everything the same as you except James McGrath (or A James McGrath haha) married my great grandmother Mary Whelan, had children with her and then divorced her for another woman. Is it possible after he divorced Mary Whelen he married Mary Bergin?

The parish records posted so far in this thread appear to be RC, if so than no one got divorced. Not allowed.

Not everyone has an Ancestry subscription, Griffiths Valuation can be searched here
http://www.askaboutireland.ie/griffith-valuation/index.xml?action=nameSearch

It would be very odd to have both of Mary's parents in GV.
GV only lists lease holders and property owners, it would be strange for a husband and wife to lease or own separate propertys in each name. Most, if not all women, in GV are widows or single.

Megan has posted while I was writing, confirming they were RC.

Offline Huckleberry3333

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Wednesday 29 August 18 03:18 BST (UK) »
Wow that is terrible (for me!). I really thought I did my homework on this one but it appears I must be wrong at James/Mary Whelan. Looking through I think I know what happened but it totally took me down this wrong path. So I know there is a James McGrath out there that married my Mary but it appears my Mary was confused with your Mary and my James confused with your James and they...ugggh.... starting... over.  :'(

Well it was nice being part of your family for a little while. I need to go find my great grandparents. Ho hum. Take care!

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Wednesday 29 August 18 08:53 BST (UK) »
On a point of clarification and in relation to the confusion over Marys, civil records of the era indicate that baker James McGrath's wife was called Margaret Bergin rather than Mary Bergin, eg:

Marriage:
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1877/11143/8081413.pdf

A couple of children:
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1879/02929/2073414.pdf
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1880/02871/2052246.pdf

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Wednesday 29 August 18 09:32 BST (UK) »
I wonder if her name was shortened to Marg in the parish register and this was mistaken for Mary.

Huckleberry when and where was James McGrath and Mary Whelan's first child born? Perhaps we can help you get on to the correct family.