Author Topic: Mystery of Illegitimate Birth  (Read 1555 times)

Offline dottyaussie

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Mystery of Illegitimate Birth
« on: Thursday 19 March 09 13:11 GMT (UK) »
I wonder if anyone could help me solve a bit of a mystery here??
Richard CORNWALL b 1869 Buckholmside Ladhope was the illegitimate son of Janet CORNWALL. She was 26yrs when he was born. She had previously had an illegitimate daughter born 1863 Gorebridge, TEMPLE. Then another illegitimate son born in 1865 BORTHWICK.

My questions are : Why would she have travelled so far from Borthwick to
                               Ladhope. (In both 1861 & 1871 Census she was living with
                               her father in Borthwick)

Would she have been sent to Ladhope? Was there a girls
                                 home or something on Buckholmside (I have noticed from
                                 google maps that it is actually a street) It says on
                                  Richard's birth cert she was a domestic servant.

It seems very odd that this woman had 3 illegitimate children in 3 different parishes within 6 years. Maybe they all had the same father and she was following him around the countryside ??

Sandra

Offline DDJJake

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Mystery of Illegitimate Birth
« Reply #1 on: Friday 20 March 09 14:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi dottyaussie,
From what I have found in 1851 Census indexed under CORNELL a mis-transcription of CORNWALL  .... and elsewhere, Janet's mother Agnes Scott .....  as seen from Janet's 1886 death aged 41 years married to an old man [81 given in 1881 Census] William Robertson .... appears to have died prior to 1855. ... so having no mother .... and her father William having an illegitimate child William in 1864 with a Janet Peddie, who he eventually married in 1873  .... she possibly was {with the rest of her siblings} farmed out to homes .... and misbehaved as many teenages did then.
I will Personal Message you with some text data found and my e-mail address for me to send you the 1886 Death and 1851 census .... if you do not already have these.
Twas an interesting challenge you set.
Aye
Scotsman ... auld DDJJAKE
Auchmutie, Ingles, Henderson, Fife, Patrick, Moffat, Collier, Hunter, McLeod, Cassells  in Fife
Henderson, Nicoll, Baxter, Hill in Angus, Nicoll in California USA, Australia
Henderson Cuthbert, Hendry in Perth, and NY State
Telfer, Walker, Rennie, Maclaren in Falkirk, Glasgow, Paisley, USA, Australia, NZ
Rennie in Winnipeg
Richardson in Lochmaben, Dumfries
Kerr in Midlothian, Stirling, Illinois, Ontario, Manitoba
Waddel in West Lothian, Ohio
McMillan in Argyll

Offline dottyaussie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Mystery of Illegitimate Birth
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 24 March 09 12:07 GMT (UK) »
Hiya DDJJake

Thanks for that info ! I have Janet on 1861 Census before she had her 3 illigitemate's living at 81 Gildyhows with the Turnbull family as an agricultural labourer. I also have her marriage cert when she married William Robertson in  May1872 on it he has given his age as 57 !! I think the age on the 1881 census was transcribed wrong.  As a matter of interest she was already 3months pregnant with his child when they married, the child Mary was born in the Nov that same year, and they had  3 more children. The last one born when William was 65 !!! The 1881 Census gives his place of birth as Airdrie Lanarkshire now thats quite a way from Stobhill !! Also on their marriage cert even though William signed it, under his name the Minister and a Mr Dinwoodie signed it as well as in the witness section. Grr more questions !!! I'm sure i have seen the name Dinwoodie mentioned before when looking for info regarding Ladhope ??? Think I might have to try and find some living relatives of Janet's to find out what went on haha.

Sandra