Author Topic: My heritage- family tree builder - COMPLETE  (Read 8890 times)

Offline Harrisons

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
My heritage- family tree builder - COMPLETE
« on: Friday 20 March 09 15:18 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

anyone have any experience with My heritage- family tree builder?

Looks very similar to most but its free?  just wondering if there is a catch or is it just if i want to publish it?

advice please?

cheers

nik
Haynes - Cambridge/ Ely/ Fulbourn / Islington
Ropkins - Clerkenwell / Norfolk / Yarmouth
Alway - Wellington, Somerset / Watford
Walker - Buckinghamshire / Hertfordshire
Hearn/e- Monmothshire/ Chorleywood
Tibbles - Chorleywood / rickmansworth

Offline stannarp

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: My heritage- family tree builder
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 19 May 09 22:14 BST (UK) »
Hi Nik,

I'm using FTB and have had relatively few problems so far...the only thing that is REALLY bugging me is how to get the source list to display in alphabetical order when I'm selecting new sources for a person in my tree.  This is not a problem if one has only a few sources, ie just starting, but when you have gazillions it is really annoying to have to scroll through all of them to find the one that you want to use.

Other than that, I like FTB and havent' found anything that is easier to work with (for me, anyway).

Regards,

Patricia
Current Research:
RYAN (Waterford, Ireland), BENNETT (Queenstown, South Africa), SELLER (Australia)

Top Surnames:

PHILLIPS (Stithians, Cornwall)
STANNARD (Long Stratton, Norfolk)
CAVE (Milbourne Port, Somerset)
SELLER (Staffordshire)
ROSE (Somerset)
SAUNDERS (Idmiston, Wiltshire)
SADLER (Somerset)
MERCER (Donhead St Andrew, Wiltshire)
VINCENT (Wiltshire)
SPARGO (Stithians, Cornwall)

https://stannardroseza.blogspot.com/

Offline famhunter

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 12 June 09 11:28 BST (UK) »
I have used My Heritage, it is a GEDCOM based program.  It has a major disadvantage to me, in that it continually asks you to start up a website, and the pop up dialogue box asking this is default set to yes which you have to change or you end up on a website where they try to enroll you in their schemes.  The dialogue boxes cannot be removed.

The program provides good quality product, is easy to use except the most annoying pop up boxes.

Fam
Researching BLAKE CLEAVE DAVEY GROSE KEY LEAN MARTYN MENHENNICK POLLARD
STURTRIDGE SYMONS WERRY WEST WORDEN WILLIAMS of Egloshayle, St Kew, St Breock, St Maybyn, and the general Wadebridge area, Cornwall.
SPILLER, DAUNTON in High Ham and Huntspill, Somerset
ARNOLD in Glamorgan
HARRISON in Worcester
HARPER in London
PERKINS, VINE in Wiltshire
My Genealogy Website is www.mygenealogy.ozwebgenealogy.com

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 12 June 09 11:45 BST (UK) »
I agree with Fam about the pop up boxes, I gave up I was so frustrated.

Also I had a problem with my password, changed it, couldn't remember what I had changed it to, and then couldn't access my tree.  Asked Tech Help who didn't seem to understand the problem or know how to help.  Eventually sorted it out myself and deleted my tree completely. 

I also had a problem unsubscribing an old email address from their continual email newsletters, in fact I still haven't been able to.  So aggravating I really can't be bothered anymore.  >:(

Kerry
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Searching for my family - Baldwin - Sussex, Middlesex, Cork, Pilbeam - Sussex, Harmer - Sussex, Terry - Surrey, Kent, Rhoades - Lincs, Roffey - Surrey, Traies - Devon & Middlesex & many many more to be found on my website ....

Offline austpark

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 20 June 09 05:47 BST (UK) »
I'm a beginner at compiling a family tree. I got FTB off one of the discs that come with PC mags.
The best feature I like about FTB is that it allows import of EXCEL csv files. Much easier to put data into a spreadsheet and then import.
However,
I would like to import more data than it recognises, such as parent-child relationships. It does allow import of marriage data.

Very useful to update info, if for example, your spelling of a name needs to be corrected - very quick this way if you have a lot to do.

Offline Beximus

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 25 June 09 11:36 BST (UK) »
I use it, and have to admit that for a free programme, it's more than usable.  It's nice and straightforward in it's basic aspects.  I am also annoyed about the fact that the registration dialogue box won't disappear no matter what you do, but I think that's a bug with this version of the software.

I can put my family on there easily, cite my sources, add notes as and when I need.  As it's a GEDCOM programme, I am happy that if I do change and buy new software, I can easily transfer the work already done.  The main downside is that with that basic version, you can't bring up a full family tree chart to print out, only generally a direct ancestor line and immediate family.  But to be honest, as it's a free programme, I can't complain too much, and I have recommended it to people in the past as a good start off point while you're deciding which other programme to spend your money on, or if, like me, you're a bit of a skinflint  ;D

Offline jane k

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 29 June 09 12:30 BST (UK) »
Hi - I`ve been using this for a while and have created several different Genealogy Projects but now want to delete some of them, and I can`t work out how.  Can anyone help?

Jane

Offline Ninatoo

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 25 September 09 00:09 BST (UK) »
No longer a free program.  They have sent an email recently telling members  that they have had a free ride for long enough and now it's time to pay.  So I thought...I pay enough for other things, and I will just delete my tree from there, since I haven't had any benefit from it being there anyway (which by the way I myself never PUT there in the first place - it was aquired by them when they bought up Gencircles, despite Gencircles saying in their privacy statement that they would never pass on our trees).   >:( >:( >:(

After a frustrating hour I still couldn't work out how to remove my tree without removing revords one by one or cancel membership, and so I emailed them a few days ago.  No reply, buit today they sent me smart matches. >:( >:( >:(

So, kerryb, how DID you remove your data?

Nina

CARSON - Glasgow, Ayr and Ireland
CLARK - Dunbarton
CORR - Glasgow and Ireland
COTTERILL - Glasgow and England
CROMBIE - Glasgow, Ayr and Ireland
DOCHERTY - Glasgow
EASTON - Dunbarton, Renfrew and Glasgow
GLANCY - Glasgow and Ireland
GORDON - Glasgow and Ireland
GRANELLI - Glasgow and Italy
LOGAN - Glasgow and Ireland
MAIN - Fearn, Ross & Cromarty and Glasgow
MCCORMICK - Glasgow and England
MCNICOL - Glasgow and Ireland
O'BRIEN - Glasgow and  Ireland
WATSON - Glasgow

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 25 September 09 10:57 BST (UK) »
Hi Nina

I can't for the life of me remember but just found this page on their help pages.  http://www.myheritage.com/help/2008/11/how-do-i-delete-a-tree-in-family-tree-builder/en/

Interesting how the most visited pages on their help is how to delete my account!!!  ::)

Kerry
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Searching for my family - Baldwin - Sussex, Middlesex, Cork, Pilbeam - Sussex, Harmer - Sussex, Terry - Surrey, Kent, Rhoades - Lincs, Roffey - Surrey, Traies - Devon & Middlesex & many many more to be found on my website ....