Author Topic: Williams - Missing in Middlesbrough, 1901 and later  (Read 14301 times)

Offline snes

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Williams - Missing in Middlesbrough, 1901 and later
« Reply #27 on: Friday 14 May 10 21:10 BST (UK) »
Hi Legs,
I am in Scarborough, North Yorkshire.
Got your personal message, and you will see I was confused over how your american cousin was related to the Williams/Hewitt family. I will email him soon, thanks.
Sue
X

Offline alllegs

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Friday 14 May 10 21:19 BST (UK) »
Excellent, I have just replied to your personal meassage!

American cousin will be thrilled!

I love north Yorkshire, well all of Yorkshire really.  My grandparents, Margaret Williams daughter still lives in west Yorkshire, so we still get up there a few times a year. I'm in sunny Sussex, by the sea, although a northener at heart!

Speak soon
Legs
xxx
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
DUR-Bainbridge,Hodgson,Richardson,Walker,Thompson,Armory,Wynn,Humble,Dunn,Chapman,Herin
YKS-Bradley,Hellawell,Dransfield,Sanderson,Gledhill,Mallinson,Tyas,Thornton,Nobel,Brook,Senior,Bower,Kay,Hirst,Smith,Lockwood, Clayton,Rollinson,Swallow
NTHNTS-Hubbard,Line,Goate,Tyler,Weed,Warren,Brown,Hollowell,Bird,Kirby,Dolby,Gilbert,Wootton
NFK-Burton,Myhill,Fisher,Thompson
LNRK-Neilson,Dudson,Forrest,McNight,Paterson
WL-Williams

Offline Merrywidow

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Friday 14 May 10 22:55 BST (UK) »
Hi Allegs

Thrilled you have some sucess with your family research.  Still haven't ruled out our connection but have not had much time to dig further.  I have just found my cousin on my maternal side.  My mother's brother died in the D-Day landings leaving an 8 month old son.  Mum lost touch with them in the 50's.  I have been trying to find him on Ancestry.  Two months ago he decided to post on Ancestry and low and behold we hit the jackpot.  We have since visited with each other and he has visited my 97 year old mother who was thrilled beyond reason.  Great Result.  I love this geneology game.

Janet
x

Offline alllegs

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Saturday 15 May 10 13:03 BST (UK) »
WOW Janet,

How exciting.  I love making new discoveries and meeting new cousins, certainly the most thrilling thing for me is finding out things for my gran who is 82, she believed she had no maternal family at all and Sue has just added another one for her.  She is flabagasted. I'm hoping my American cousin may come to the UK for my grandparents 60th wedding anniversary in June.

I don't have the time to dig further at the mo either, roll on the summer holidays!!!

Hope you're well, keep in touch.

Legs xxx
DUR-Bainbridge,Hodgson,Richardson,Walker,Thompson,Armory,Wynn,Humble,Dunn,Chapman,Herin
YKS-Bradley,Hellawell,Dransfield,Sanderson,Gledhill,Mallinson,Tyas,Thornton,Nobel,Brook,Senior,Bower,Kay,Hirst,Smith,Lockwood, Clayton,Rollinson,Swallow
NTHNTS-Hubbard,Line,Goate,Tyler,Weed,Warren,Brown,Hollowell,Bird,Kirby,Dolby,Gilbert,Wootton
WL-Williams

Offline Merrywidow

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Saturday 15 May 10 13:18 BST (UK) »
Thanks Allegs,

Yes it has been great for Mum after all these years.  The first meeting was a little wierd as Mum was very muddled that day but it did get thru to her who he was.  He will be coming again next week and Mum is better, but I will not warn her this time because she got all worked up and I think that caused the confusion.

The wierdest thing about long lost cousins, when he got out of his car I recognised him immediately.  As I was about 5 the last time I saw him that is a bit unreal.  His eyes were bright blue, the same as my Grandad, his father, and my mother.  He too is thrilled by the whole business.  His mother never told him about his real father until he saw his birth cert. when he was 15.  The only photo he had of his paternal family was one of his father in uniform.  Least said is best about his mother - she is dead now, but I would have had words with her if she had been alive.

When he first visited me I had copied all the family photos from Mum's album into one for him and he was thrilled.  He was able to see his grandparents for the first time.  There was even a photo of him at about 6 months being held by our Grandmother.  Mission Accomplished.
Janet

Offline alllegs

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Sunday 16 May 10 14:44 BST (UK) »
Awwwww how lovely.  I took my gran to visit a paternal cousin, they hit it off immediatly and we had a ball.  We all have the same sense of humour and it was as if we'd always known one and other. xxx
WL-Williams

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Sunday 16 May 10 17:48 BST (UK) »
Just to remind you that anything posted on this forum can be picked up on a google search so it is best not to give too much private information.  You can always use our personal message system if you want to chat about living people.
Regards
Andrea

Offline iamdickw

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Monday 17 May 10 23:26 BST (UK) »
I am the cousin in the USA that Legs talks about.  I got into this chat room years ago and forgot about until Legs mentioned it again.  I am retired, and just finished with my football team so had time to look into the Williams drama.  I cannot find Jane Thomas Williams or Martha Jane, aka Pat, in the 1901 census but think I have them all in the 1911 census.  If someone can get a birth certificate for Amy Williams would be helpful in determining her parents.  In the 1940's Aunt Charlotte Thomas Steel's son was living in the same house on Stapylton St, my Mam, sister and I would visit.  Cousin Winnie, daughter of Rachel Thomas Collins, is older than I and lives in Canada.  I called and asked her if she remembers Minnie, and she did not think so.  Did Minnie marry?  In the future I'll try and keep up via Rootschat.

Offline alllegs

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Tuesday 18 May 10 18:44 BST (UK) »
I can definately confirm that Rachel Williams is the daughter of Jane nee Thomas and William Williams (deceased)

James Williams and Rachel Williams formally Thomas nee Edwards are not the parents of Amy, neither are William Williams and Jane nee Thomas.

Legs
xxxx
WL-Williams