Author Topic: Williams - Missing in Middlesbrough, 1901 and later  (Read 14266 times)

Offline alllegs

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Williams - Missing in Middlesbrough, 1901 and later
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 28 March 09 10:52 GMT (UK) »
Morning,

Yes, I had noticed the Stapylton Street address on the 1901 for Charlotte and Margaret, I wish your auntie Jean was still alive too!

I've always been interested in family stories, my gran (now 90) wrote a short story about her grandmother years before I was born and when we were kids she used to re-tell the tales.  That I guess sparked an interest but it wasn't until I was in year 6 at my primary school when we learned about the Victorians and looked at the 1881 census, we then walked around the village and found the houses thes people lived in and where they are buried in the church yard that I really go interested.  I didn't really begin searching until my early 20's however, when I had access to the internet.

Anyway I'm fascinated, hooked, and totally obsessed now!!!

Shame that William was a dud.

Must take the dog out, speak soon

Legs
xxxx
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
DUR-Bainbridge,Hodgson,Richardson,Walker,Thompson,Armory,Wynn,Humble,Dunn,Chapman,Herin
YKS-Bradley,Hellawell,Dransfield,Sanderson,Gledhill,Mallinson,Tyas,Thornton,Nobel,Brook,Senior,Bower,Kay,Hirst,Smith,Lockwood, Clayton,Rollinson,Swallow
NTHNTS-Hubbard,Line,Goate,Tyler,Weed,Warren,Brown,Hollowell,Bird,Kirby,Dolby,Gilbert,Wootton
NFK-Burton,Myhill,Fisher,Thompson
LNRK-Neilson,Dudson,Forrest,McNight,Paterson
WL-Williams

Offline Merrywidow

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 28 March 09 12:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi once again

Spent another few hours on 'our' problem last night.  There are thousands of Thomas Williams' too, frustrating.  Is your Gran still clear headed?  Although my mother was starting to regress when I first started to pump her for family details she still came up with a few valuable gems. 

Ask your Gran to think carefully when she is alone and jot down anything she can remember when she was told the family history.  What is needed is a place of birth for William - we know it was Wales, but there are hundreds - we need one little clue to start the ball rolling.  I guess there was nothing on his death certificate?

I had a flutter with Thomas Lewis and William Jackson both born in Wales and both have strong connections to lodgings in Sheffield - early days.  Worth trying to see if William too lodged there before coming to Middlesbrough.

As you say this geneology becomes obsessive.  I have to force myself to wait till the weekends or nothing else would ever get done.

Happy dog walking,

Janet

PS  My mission since the off has been tracing my cousin,.........  born on September 3rd, 1943. His father was Mum's brother who was killed in Caen in 1944.  Mother remarried and family lost touch.  Her father was William John Brown well known MP of his day and I traced him down to his death, which was witnessed by his daughter, Marjorie Jean Gearon - so I had found her and her new married name but it got me no further and I am still looking.
Moderator Comment: Name of living person removed in accordance with rootschat policy

Offline alllegs

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 28 March 09 14:26 GMT (UK) »
The gran I mentioned earlier is my dad's mum, the Williams' are on my mum's side.  Mums mum (William Williams granddaughter) knows nothing about her mother's family.  Unfortunatly Margaret Williams (William and Janes eldest daughter) died when gran was only 6 months old.  Gran and her 2 older brothers were brought up by her father and her paternal grandparents.

I have managed to trace living relatives (now in the US) who are descended from Elizabeth Ann Hewitt nee Thomas whom Martha was living with in 1911.  They are a bit younger than my gran but lived in the next street in North Ormseby.  Neither knew anything about each other.  When Martha emigrated to Florida she used to send my gran pretty dresses, shoes and jewellery.  This ceased when Elizabeth Ann Hewitt's daughter Evelyn emigrated to live with Martha.

We think something 'dodgy' happened as gran was never allowed to talk about her mother.  Dick (the cousin in USA) seems to remember Martha going to Blackpool at some point as she was mistreated after her parents died.  She never talked much about her past.

Hence, all gran knew was that her mother was called Margaret Williams and she died when gran was a baby.  She believed she was the only living member of the Williams line.   

This was another reason I got into genealogy, to help find out something about gran's mother and her family.

We have no idea, other than Wales, about where William was born. A needle in a haystack!

Legs
xxxx
DUR-Bainbridge,Hodgson,Richardson,Walker,Thompson,Armory,Wynn,Humble,Dunn,Chapman,Herin
YKS-Bradley,Hellawell,Dransfield,Sanderson,Gledhill,Mallinson,Tyas,Thornton,Nobel,Brook,Senior,Bower,Kay,Hirst,Smith,Lockwood, Clayton,Rollinson,Swallow
NTHNTS-Hubbard,Line,Goate,Tyler,Weed,Warren,Brown,Hollowell,Bird,Kirby,Dolby,Gilbert,Wootton
WL-Williams

Offline alllegs

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 28 March 09 15:05 GMT (UK) »
I think I have found Margaret Williams on the 1911 census.

Resiging with Thomas Shewell and family at No 5 Turner Street, Coatham, Redcar

Margaret Williams, 17, General domestic servant, born Grangetown

The age is a bit out but she seems to be the only MW born in Grangetown and all my servants seem to have incorrect ages
WL-Williams

Offline Merrywidow

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 29 March 09 00:04 GMT (UK) »
Well done - every little helps.  We are sunk if we can't find where William was born. Father Thomas James is our only hope.  Tracing his own marriage certificate will point us in the right direction but that is a lot of legwork.  Its funny that he used the 'James' on William's marriage certificate but I couldn't pinpoint a single Thomas James on the 1891 Census.  Found a few plain Thomas' in Thornaby as a lodger, widow etc.

Will dig some more tomorrow.

Janet

Offline alllegs

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 29 March 09 16:36 BST (UK) »
Argh!

I think I've confused things!  William Williams father is James Williams - not James Thomas as I wrote previously.  I got confused with the surnames - Jane's maiden name was Thomas.

Really sorry to mislead!

Legs
xxxx
WL-Williams

Offline Merrywidow

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 29 March 09 16:52 BST (UK) »
Hi

Don't apologise - I checked back and it is me who got it wrong.  I think it was late in the evening.

Being "chatting" to a friend on another Forum, she too is tracing her family. Family name .........JONES....nationality WELSH - I wish her the very best of British!!!!

Offline alllegs

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 30 March 09 17:51 BST (UK) »
Bless her, fortunatly I've found no Jones' yet... I'm sure they'll be lurking with the WIlliams' somewhere!

It was me that confused you - I edited the post to the correct name in case anyone else reads it and I confuse them too.

Legs
xxxx
WL-Williams

Offline Merrywidow

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 30 March 09 19:15 BST (UK) »
Hi Legs

I have a feeling I have hit that proverbial brick wall.  I wonder if the original paperwork for their wedding would reveal his birthplace.  There is of course his work records but do they still exist?

Will delve further.

Great news yesterday.  I checked out the Cambridgeshire (March)  part of the Forum and low and behold there was someone looking for my mother's (Reed) side of the family. What bliss to find a bunch of answers and now I can give her a stack of info. Oh how I like this game!!!!!