Author Topic: Ivy Farm, Aigburth Road  (Read 3567 times)

Offline cailin

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Ivy Farm, Aigburth Road
« on: Friday 20 March 09 21:03 GMT (UK) »
I'm trying to find details about Ivy Farm, which was located somewhere along the Aigburth Road, if anyone can help?  It is the address given on my great-grandfather's marriage certificate, where he was working in 1903 as a footman.

Looking at the 1901 census, I have found listed details for Ivy House, Ivy House Farm, Ivy House Lodge and Ivy Cottage, all in Toxteth Park, but as he is not named, I suspect he wasn't there at that time.

I would be very grateful if anyone can point me in the direction of where I might be able to look to find out more about the farm and where along the Aigburth Road it was.

Thanks in advance, Sara.  :-)

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Ivy Farm, Aigburth Road
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 21 March 09 07:26 GMT (UK) »
It seems to have been located between Tramway Road and Fulwood Road.

Mentioned here in a Google Books snippet http://www.rootschat.com/links/05vj/

I found an 1897 ad in the Liverpool Mercury for a young man "to milk and make himself useful" so presumably it was a dairy farm.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ignz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 23 March 09 01:34 GMT (UK) »
This 1930's map, http://www.leverpoole.co.uk/1.001/m/philips-map/10/14.shtm , might help - shows an Ivy Cottage which corresponds to the location suggested by ShaunJ - Jericho Lane is the road at the right hand (eastern) edge - assuming you know this part of Liverpool now

IG
Colvin, Shannon, Kay, Taylor, Ross, Burns, Blisset, Faza(c)kerley, Gardner

Liverpool, Wiltshire, Isle of Man, New Brunswick

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 24 March 09 16:04 GMT (UK) »
Ivy farm was on Aigburth Road and the last owners I can remember were Mr and Mrs Taylor...and I used to help Mrs Taylor deliver the milk in her little green van about 1959...my dad was a gardener for the Taylors...it is now St Margarets Grammar School......you can see this very clearly on an up to date map...right next door to St Anns church...in 1961 St Margarets Anfield had a large fire and it burnt to the ground (the school was known as SMA.)...The school needed new land and Taylors farm was the right size...and so that they could still be called SMA (St Margarets Aigburth) the farm was purchased...I`m not sure whether the Taylors just sold or whether it was a compulsory purchase order....anyway...thats where Ivy farm was ...allan ;)
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline TonyS

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 14 April 09 11:51 BST (UK) »
There is some info about Ivy Cottage/House in "The History of .... Toxteth" by Robert Griffiths. I'll transcribe it later. These 2 maps show the site.

1835 map by Bennison

1930s map

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 15 April 09 06:44 BST (UK) »
well thats not where St Margarets is...I stand corrected...I thought Taylors farm was Ivy Farm..allan
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline redkop

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Freddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 15 April 09 19:51 BST (UK) »

You had me confused too Allan.  ;D

It's the T.A. Barracks that is there now.

I grew up in Ampthill Rd. Which you can see on the second map.

Red  :)
MCLENNAN - Inverness Scotland and Liverpool
WHITTAKER - Offaly Ireland
MILLER. HURST, BALL. DUTTON. BIBBY, MORGAN, GASKELL - Liverpool
ELLIS - Plymouth, Devon
COLLINS - Bishops Castle, Shropshire.
MASON. MILLER - Runcorn/Chester
ROWLAND - Widnes, Lancs.
CHARLTON - Bury, Lancs
GREGGS - Cumbria
BRISCOE - SHERLOCK - Cheshire
VOCE - Warrington, Lancs

Offline Aigburth Al

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 26 March 16 15:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I bought an agreement with plan, on the internet dated 1882 that relates to Ivy House Aigburth Road. The house in the plan matches the house in a map I came across of Aigburth Road about a hundred years ago. I could see that is is nearly perfectly situated where the car tyre outlet is now close to the top of Larkfield Road.