Author Topic: Whitchers of the newforest  (Read 5231 times)

Offline rev.ivorbiggin

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Whitchers of the newforest
« on: Saturday 21 March 09 22:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi to yo all, Can anyone give me any info on the Whitcher, romanys of the new forest circa 1800. I have managed to trace my gggg grandfather Alexander Whitcher to abt 1800 Eling New forest Hampshire, I belive his father was  Isaac. The trail goes cold here with no recorded marriages or births of Alexander in the Hampshire area. I know that there is a family of Romany's by the name of Whitcher, in the New forest, and think that they were around at that sort of time. Does anyone have any info please?
Thanx
Ivor
Whitcher,Roalf,Lewis,Phillips,Parry

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Whitchers of the newforest
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 22 March 09 10:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ivor and welcome to RootsChat  :)

I'm no expert on Romany families, but I have found the following baptisms to Isaac and Sarah Whitcher:
Betsy b 2 Mar bapt 31 Mar 1802 Eling
Charlotte b 24 Mar bapt 9 May 1804 Eling
Harriett b 25 Apr bapt 10 Sep 1806, Eling
George b 2 Sep bap 26 Oct 1808 Eling                                           

As you say no sign of an Alexander, but they seem to have stayed in the Eling area for a number of years.

There are two marriages recorded for an Isaac Whitcher:

Isaac Whitcher m Joanna Wade 3 Dec 1766 Eling
Isaac Whitcher (widower) yeoman m Sally Hatch 17 Aug 1797 All Saints Southampton by licence

No idea if they are the same Isaac  :(  An Isaac Whitcher was buried in Eling 18 April 1815 aged 73.  A Johanna Whitcher was buried in Eling 22 May 1794, no age specified.  Isaac left a will which was proved in 1817, copy at Winchester.

If the second marriage is for the parents of Alexander then logically he could be the first child, given the date of the marriage.  However, Romany family does not seem to match with yeoman.

What evidence do you have that Alexander's father was Isaac?

Nell
All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline rev.ivorbiggin

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 22 March 09 20:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi Nell. and thanks for the reply.
I think that The isaac that married Joanna Wade is the same Isaac which married Sally hatch in 1797, I also think that sally and Sarah are one and the same person, just a confusion over the name.
My proof that Alexander's father was Isaac is in the marriage certificate of Alexanders daughter Mildred. It states that her father was Alexander and grandfather Isaac.
I have found Alexander in the 1841 census living in Alverstoke with wife mary, and was born in the county of Hampshire. Mary died in 1849, and i have found him again in 1851 a widower, living in Alverstoke, place of birth, Eling ,Hampshire.
Children of Alexander and Mary were Henry 1815, Mildred 1820, Alexander 1822 ,Isaac 1824, Augusta 1827, all born in Eling Hants
I have found a marriage of Alexander Whitcher and Mary Gill in Pallots in Christ church, Newgate london but am not sure if its my Alexander and Mary!
I havnt come across the burials though, thanks.
Ivor

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 23 March 09 12:16 GMT (UK) »
I would try to get hold of a copy of Isaac's will from the record office in Winchester.  It may well assist by naming Alexander as his son.  Then one would have to assume that the baptism was perhaps not recorded properly - it can happen.  I've had another look and there was an Isaac Whicher born to these parents (Isaac & Sarah) on 29 July  and baptised 4 September 1799 in Eling.  I wonder if he should have been recorded as Alexander?

Nell

Offline rev.ivorbiggin

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 23 March 09 20:30 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Nell,
I was aware of Isaac born 1799 son of Isaac & sarah, a  misrecorded entry is something i hadn't considered,
Are you getting your info from cd?, I have a copy of Hack 16-20, on it are Eling parish transcripts cant remember exact dates from- to, but covers the period im looking for.
I have also been to the county records office, and trawled through the microfiche, some of the records 1790's1800' are very badly smudged or faded and were illegible to me so, i may have missed Alexander, I didnt find Isaac born 1799 on the microfiche, but got it from the Hackmans cd, I wonder if Hackman managed to transcribe every page or were there pages he couldnt make out either.
Now you come to mention it, i have seen something about a will of Isaac Whitcher who was a yeoman fom Eling on the a2a Nat Archives site im pretty sure i can access it from there, for a fee.Ill give it a try, if not its off to Winchester.
Ivor

Offline rev.ivorbiggin

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 23 March 09 21:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi Nell , ive just looked through Hampshire records office online catalogue, forget the a2a i was mistaken on that. Cant find anything on the will of Isaac 1817, do you have a ref no., for it?
However i did find a ref, to a copy of the will of Isaac Whitcher, of Manor farm, Sway, Hants occupation yeoman dated 1876, Could this be the Isaac born 1799 son of Isaac & Sarah (Sally)?
If so then perhaps parish records are right and perhaps Alexander is in the illegible pages? Lots of ifs and maybes
Ivor
P.S looks like a trip tp Winchester after all

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 23 March 09 22:34 GMT (UK) »
The reference number for Isaac's will in 1817 is: 1817AD/60

Isaac Whitcher who died in 1876 was allegedly 73 when he died, death registered in Lymington RD.

Alexander Whitcher, who appears to have been a publican in Titchfield died in 1867, will proved 1868, was 76.  Death registered in Fareham RD.

Have you seen the will (PCC National Archives) of Joseph Whitcher of Eling, proved 1829?  Is he related?

Nell

Offline rev.ivorbiggin

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 24 March 09 00:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi Nell
 i think Josephs will, is the one that i was thinkinking about when i mentioned a2a. Im pretty sure that Joseph was Isaacs brother. Joseph Whitcher born 1744 Eling, son of William and Ann. Isaac Whitcher was born 1741 Eling also son of William And Ann.
i didnt think much of Josephs will at the time as i hadnt got that far back, just made a mental note of it
will go on a2a tomorrow and see if i can find it again.
Ivor

Offline Ginge Trueman

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 01 July 16 16:58 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone (and cousin Ivor!)

I'm on the hunt now too!  Just registering my interest on this thread so if any replies I'm notified.  Looking for the Whitchers and my father's side (Trueman) too, only been researching for a couple of days and certainly have a lot to learn!! 

Thanks

Ginge