Author Topic: HENRY JAMES GATFIELD.  (Read 2516 times)

Offline sarah j p

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
HENRY JAMES GATFIELD.
« on: Saturday 21 March 09 23:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi everyone.
My great grandfather HENRY JAMES GATFIELD b 1890 was born in queensland australia. He came over to England in 1906 with his parents and siblings.
He married GERTRUDE KNOTT at Victoria Wesleyan Chapel,Grecian Street (date unknown).
The family lived at 18 Calder Road BOLTON and had 4 children.
From my grandmothers birth certificate,dated 1922, I have seen that his occupation was as a domestic gardener.
I know the name of his parents and his siblings but that is all I know and am desperate to find out more information- particularly when he died. There is also a possibility that he was imprisoned at some stage and any information about this would be very gratefully received.
Thank you

Offline IndisVanyar

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Great grandfather James Nevitt 1850-1921
    • View Profile
Re: HENRY JAMES GATFIELD.
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 21 March 09 23:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sarah

Welcome to Rootschat

I have found his marriage on the Lancs BMDsite
Lancashire Marriage Index for 1917
Gertrude Knott to Henry J Gatfield, Bolton, Victoria Wesleyan Chapel, Grecian Street
Reference - Registers at Bolton - 148/3/3

http://www.lancashirebmd.org.uk/cgi/marrind.cgi

Hope this helps.

Regards

Nell
Kitching Elsbury Lawrence Last Ellington Govier Pawsey Rice Nevitt Napier Seymour

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 21 March 09 23:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi

The marriage took place in December qtr 1917 ref Bolton Volume 8C Page 749

It is also on Lancashire BMD

Lancashire Marriage indexes for the years: 1917

Henry J Gatfield to Gertrude Knott  at Bolton, Victoria Wesleyan Chapel, Grecian Street records at Bolton Ref 148/3/3

Freebmd has 4 Gatfield births in Bolton - mothers maiden name Knott between 1918-1929  http://freebmd.rootsweb.com

Re: his death - you will need to search the full GRO index as transcriptions only go as far as about 1929 at the moment

The full GRO index is available at your nearest main library if you live in the UK.  It can also be searched online if you have an Ancestry subscription or at www.findmypast.com which is a paysite
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline sarah j p

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 21 March 09 23:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi Nell.
Thank you for the warm welcome and thank you, on behalf of myself and my family, for the information regarding my great grandfather. I cannot tell you how important any information about them is to us.
                          King regards Sarah:)

Offline sarah j p

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 21 March 09 23:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi CaroleW.
Thanks for the information and for the helpful advice. I find the advice you have given me concerning other sites to look at most helpful as I am new to genealogy and dont really have any idea where to start! :)
Sorry if I sound slightly ignorant.......but what is the GRO index?

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 22 March 09 00:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi

GRO stands for General Register Office and the index contains the details of all births, marriages and deaths (BMD's) registered in England and Wales from 1.7.1837 which is the date when Civil Registration of BMD's was first introduced

The reference I showed above
December qtr 1917 ref Bolton Volume 8C Page 749
is a GRO reference and if you wanted to buy a copy of that marriage certificate - you would need to quote the GRO reference so it can be found

The index is arranged in alphabetical order within each of the 4 quarters of the year

March qtr covers BMD's registered between 1st January - 31st March

June qtr 1st April - 30th June

September qtr 1st July - 30th Sept

December qtr 1st Oct - 31st Dec

Unless you can narrow down the year that Henry died (any living elderly relatives who can help with info??)  it can be a very time consuming and tedious task searching every quarter of every year for his death

If you do find the year (or near it) - we will be happy to check the full index for you for the reference
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 22 March 09 00:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Did you know that the 1911 census is now available online?
http://www.1911census.co.uk/search/tnaform.aspx?4

I did a search of the free index for surname Gatfield born Australia and it turned up 4 entries -all living in Hampshire but no Henry

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 22 March 09 00:36 GMT (UK) »
The incoming passenger lists shows they arrived in 5th May 1906 - children shown as Agnes, Annie, Beatrice, Ethel, Florence, Henry & William

The free 1911 index entries I found in Hampshire are Beatrice Jane,  Ethel,  Florence and Frederick William Charles Valentine Gatfield

Offline barryd

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 29 January 12 23:06 GMT (UK) »
The marriage is not on familyseach.org but is on LDS film 1538363. Married: 24 Dec 1917, Victoria Wesleyan Chapel,  Grecian Crescent, Bolton, Lancashire, Henry James Gatfield - 27 Gunner 85858 RFA 51St. Reserve Battery (Civilian Occupation - Gardener) Bachelor of 18 Calder Road Bolton
Bride: Gertrude Knott - 22 Comber Tenter in Cotton Mill Spinster of 18 Calder Road Bolton. Groom's Father: William James Gatfield, Dockyard Labourer. Bride's Father: Robert Knott, Spindle & Fly Maker
Witness: Edith Knott; Arnold Knott
Grecian Crescent still exists. 18 Calder Road still stands. It is a 2 bedroom Terraced House. Quite nice.