Author Topic: Rock & Sons Hastings  (Read 22933 times)

Offline 1909

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Rock & Sons Hastings
« Reply #18 on: Monday 13 April 09 21:19 BST (UK) »
Hi CHris in 1066 land,

Great pictures. I'm very pleased that the building is being looked after, even if it means hiding the features behind panels. Can I ask you something about dates: I had the idea that the Rock building was new in 1872. Was it a re-development on the same site or did they move from elsewhere in the town?

Chris 1909

Offline Smokey807

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 11 August 11 00:01 BST (UK) »
Hi: There is a website for the National Trust carriage museum at Arlington Court that has some good pictures and information on different carriage types and no doubt there are other similar sites that should answer your question.

Im doing some reasearch on Rock & Sons after they arrived in Tunbridge Wells in 1892 and became Rock,Hawkins & Thorpe although still given by that  name in the directories at White Rock,Hastings ; Grosvenor Rd Tunbridge Wells and 24 Baker St. London W. .Still operated by that name in 1903 but in the 1913 directory are Rock,Thorpe,Chatfield on Grosvenor Rd.In the 1922 directory the name is changed to Rock,Thorpe & Co. and later still Rock,Thorpe,Watson.

Does anyone have any information about the partners Chatfield and Watson and any photos they can share with me of the companies buiildings in Tunbridge Wells?

Offline Chris in 1066Land

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • "Forever Searching, Forever Learning"
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 13 August 11 18:04 BST (UK) »
hi 1909

Unfortunately I am on holiday at the moment in Somerset - so cannot answer your question properly - but I believe it was the site of a brewery before Rock & co took it over.
Will check when we get home

Chris i 1066
One of Rootschats Founder Members RIP 1942-2021
Living at the Heart of English History in 1066Land. 
www.Rootschat.com/history/hastings

Swarbrooke Family Heritage
https://swarbrooke.co.uk

Own Ancestral Website:    http://maythornemill.webs.com                                          
Monumental Sculptures Website:    http://Tombstones.webs.com

Local History Site: http://zouch.webs.com
Baldslow Local History site
http://web.archive.org/web/20140626153455/http://www

Offline Smokey807

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 24 August 11 19:32 BST (UK) »
To Chris: I read with interest the article to wrote and wondered if you could post the following photos from the article; photo of Rock's 1891 carriage; photo of Elliott's building and photo of Smiths building. Also do you have more information on G & J Smith you can share as I would like to write a detailed profile on the companies operations.

Thanks.....Ed

Offline 1909

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 27 August 11 20:59 BST (UK) »
Hi Ed,
I think you were in contact with the Tunbridge Wells Ref library today. If you haven't discovered it yet, they have a book by Smith - Concise History of English Carriages, which contains a chapter on his carriage works.
They also have the centenary booklet about Rock's, which you have probably already come across.
And they will be able to get you access to a Bygone Kent article by keith Hetherington which covers other firms in the town.
Have you , by the way, come across Ascough's?
Sorry must go, will send the pictures later (or another day).
Chris Jones

Offline Smokey807

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 27 August 11 22:12 BST (UK) »
To 1909: The answer to your question about why Rock & Sons moved to Tunbridge Wells in 1892 is found in the Kent & Sussex newspaper article of August 27,1915.The article is about the great fire at their premises on Grosvenor Rd but Mr Thorpe,one of the partners in the company said in an interview with a newspaper reporter that the reason they moved from Hastings to Tunbridge Wells was,and I quote " to be in a more centralized location". This would have opened up more opportunities to sell their products;provided improved customer service and reduced the cost of shipping their products to customers who by 1892 were numerous and spread all over Britain.

Offline Smokey807

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 27 August 11 23:22 BST (UK) »
To; Chris Jones

Yes I have information on Ascough's.Anything in particular you want info on?
I have birth,death,marriage and other family details for John Ascough.His son Frank is  listed in the 1901 census at 221 Upper Grosvenor Rd as a coach builder employer-he was born 1866 T. Wells and died 1924 Brentford,Middlesex and is given in a 1921 London directory as a motor body builder.John Ascough is also in the 1901 census as a coach builder employer but at #6 Park Rd.John was born 1840 Maidstone,Kent and died April 1901 and buried in the Tunbridge Wells cemetary June 15,1901.I have several Kelly directory listings for John with premises at #3 Goods Station Road,T. Wells.In the 1881 census John is shown as a coach maker employing 3 men and 2 boys.His address changes between census records.Need anything else-just ask. I look forward to getting the photos.

Offline 1909

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 27 August 11 23:34 BST (UK) »
Hi Ed,

Am attempting to send the pics. Some time since I did this so it may not work first time. Re the Ascoughs I have some (rather poor quality) pics of architects drawings from the CH Strange collection.

Offline 1909

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Saturday 27 August 11 23:45 BST (UK) »
contd. incl example of Ascoughs. You may already have them.
Its the Sandall Perkins building if you know the town.