Author Topic: NEARY/WALSH/MCGANN Ballinasloe Roscommon Help  (Read 4030 times)

Offline epath

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
NEARY/WALSH/MCGANN Ballinasloe Roscommon Help
« on: Monday 23 March 09 18:41 GMT (UK) »
    My gggrandfather Edward NEARY b. abt 1818 Ballinasloe Roscommon immigrated to Philadelphia 1844 worked as stonemason. Married in Ireland to Hannah. All their children born in Philadelphia.   Their eldest daughter Catharine married Edward WALSH stone mason from Roscommon. Another daughter Mary married Edward MCGANN who was born in Roscommon.    Edward and Hannah NEARY's children were: 
Catherine, John, Francis, Mary, Michael, Daniel, Hannah, Margaret.
     In Phila. Neary grave are also buried:  two women both named Hester NEARY.
Also, a Frances SHAUGHNESSY.   Have found all these surnames in GV for St. Peter's Roscommon.    Also, in the Strokestown area have found the same Neary names - Daniel, Michael,John.    But can't find any documents/info for Edward Neary or Edward Walsh in Ballinasloe. Any help would be very much appreciated.  Thank you in anticipation. 
Pat

Offline LNC

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: NEARY/WALSH/MCGANN Ballinasloe Roscommon Help
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 08 March 11 02:56 GMT (UK) »
I don't know if this is any help to you, but www.RootsIreland.ie has two Edward Walsh's baptised in County Roscommon. One of them has father John and was baptised in Elphin Roman Catholic Parish in 1831. The other one was baptised in 1832 but I don't know what parish. I searched from 1831 to 1841. You might like to put in different dates if you know about when Edward was born.
The trouble is you have to pay 5 euros to view the full details, and it is only through a process of elimination that I found the ones that I did without paying.
I cannot find a Roman Catholic parish called Ballinasloe on this site. I suspect that it does not cover everywhere in the county yet? I am interested because I have my own Walsh family from the Townlands of Cuilleen and Tully, which are in Ballinasloe Poor Law Union. There is a good site:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_townlands_of_County_Roscommon
which lists all the Townlands.
If you know think your Walsh family might follow the Irish pattern of naming you might be able to guess Edward's father's name - the firstborn son is often named after him.
good luck, Irish research is quite daunting I'm finding,
Linda :-\
JohnRanderson-Catholic baptism Garforth/Aberford 1806-1862 E.Keswick YKS marr'dEliz.Kirby Bardsey1831
Combe/Combs/Coombe Winchcombe,7HamptonGLS
Combs Broadway Worc1788->
Hartley - Guiseley Yorkshire, Chapeltown, Leeds,
Townend - Castleford, Colton,Whitkirk
Bacon - STS(Uttoxeter) GLS
Ann Hirons d1873 Tewkesburyaged 92
Sarah Smith m'd John Birdsall 1827 Rothwell YKS
Randerson, Fawcett, Kirby nr Harewood YKS 1700->
Marchants Sussex/Middlesex/Illinois
Walsh, Collins, Hogan, Roscmon Ireland