Author Topic: 'Mental home' in Bridgend  (Read 44790 times)

Offline mothball

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 'Mental home' in Bridgend
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 02 June 09 15:33 BST (UK) »
Yes I can confirm what Achilles has written.  I had an aunt who worked in Glanrhyd.

Pen Y Fai was for milder patients who had mental health problems and treatment was for short stay patients, say having had a nervous breakdown or a loss in the family.     Glanrhyd was for more long-term patients.

I believe patients who needed secure residency were sent to the Parc.

I am talking 1970's here.

Steven
Devote/o/i/a/ee - Italy - PembrokeMorris - Pembroke Dock 1786Wignall - London - 1800JonesMaesteg

Offline gwydion ap don

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 14 June 09 22:06 BST (UK) »
I was looking at the District County Lunatic Asylum on 1901 census on Ancestry, Glamorgan, Higher Coity and noted that it was situated at Parc Gwyllt, Coity, Bridgend; noted also that it was in the ecclesiastical parish of "Coity,with Nolton, St Mary (part of)"... perhaps it was not Nolton St, but Nolton, St Mary... I haven't found it on the 1911 census yet.

Offline rebekahm28

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 15 June 09 11:33 BST (UK) »
Thanks all, this is appreciated and Ive copied everything down for future reference. Im seriously considering Percy may have been a client/inmate (unsure of correct term) and the children were told he was away working. On his all childrens birth certs and his marriage cert he was always a coal miner/hauler. Then he died in 1941.  If 81 Nolton St wasn't used as a care home, and Im thinking now it doesnt look like it, then he may well have been a patient somewhere for a while. Typical of our family not to talk of depression.
Casaubon (Geneva, London), Daulinge, Berners, McMullen (Nottingham), Tabb (Leics), Mycock (Derbys & Staffs), Gilbert (Notts), Price (s Wales), Krilovs/similar, gypsy Roberts, gypsy Clark, Bexell (Sussex), gypsy Elliott, Raven, Neligan (Co Kerry), Rymer, Newton (Hull).

Offline Scrumhalf

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 18 June 09 16:58 BST (UK) »
My Grandmother Louisa Edwards was a nurse at the Bridgend mental Hospital see the 1901 Census page ref RG 13/5049 Higher Newcastle Bridgend area refers. A lot of the patients are listed by initials only plus their place of birth and approx age. May be of help

Offline rebekahm28

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 19 June 09 20:40 BST (UK) »
I have found a 'P P' from Newcastle Higher (Aberkenfig) in the asylum.  The age is wrong as my great grandad would have only been 11 yrs of age, but he may have been there in 1911.  And its a brilliant idea for other people to try. I never thought of searching under initials!!  I'll try that for my other brick walls too, thanks!
Casaubon (Geneva, London), Daulinge, Berners, McMullen (Nottingham), Tabb (Leics), Mycock (Derbys & Staffs), Gilbert (Notts), Price (s Wales), Krilovs/similar, gypsy Roberts, gypsy Clark, Bexell (Sussex), gypsy Elliott, Raven, Neligan (Co Kerry), Rymer, Newton (Hull).

Offline cwtch

• RootsChat Senior
  • The Truth Sets Us Free
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 24 April 10 03:51 BST (UK) »
Rebeka, Also found a book written about Morgannwg Hospital, it might be Doctor Marshall Annears wife that wrote it, I will look out for it myself.

Doreen Annear - The story of Morgannwg hospital       Doreen Annear
The story of Morgannwg hospital (1-872808-37-9 / 1872808379)
Came from Cadoxton S. Wales. Moved to England in 1966.
Moved to Florida in 1970
Moved and settled in Toronto in 1971
I have been married for over 40 years and we have 2 wonderful boys and one granddaughter
Surnames....Price, Evon, Shatten, Lee, Riley, Burton, Ayres, Smith, Loveridge, Rafferty,

Offline cwtch

• RootsChat Senior
  • The Truth Sets Us Free
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 24 April 10 04:05 BST (UK) »
Hi Rebeka, Regarding mental home in Bridgend. In the early 70s I was a patient at Morgannwg Hospital (Glanrhyd and Pen Y Fai ) I was in Glanrhyd.

The head Psychiatrist ( Medical Superintendant) then who was my Psych. was 
DOCTOR MARSHALL WILFRED ANNEAR. Consultant. Psychiatrist,. Psychiatric
You can Google him too, but he passed on in 1986....Great Guy.
Cushti Baxt shey:)

If you go to Archive Wales and look up...this will give you some info.. .
Glamorgan Record Office
Glamorgan County Lunatic Asylum/Glamorgan County Mental Hospital/Glanrhyd Hospital records

Reference code(s): GB 0214 DHGL
The three buildings were called Morgannwg Hospital, with Angelton being renamed as Glanrhyd Hospital (the name it still retains), and Parc Gwyllt abbreviated to Parc Hospital. The Morgannwg Hospital Management committee was appointed by the Welsh Hospital Board to oversee the running of the hospital. Recent events have led to the closure and demolition of Parc Hospital and later Penyfai Hospital. The only remaining building is Glanrhyd Hospital, which was the original asylum built in 1864. It is currently administered by the Bridgend and District NHS Trust.
Came from Cadoxton S. Wales. Moved to England in 1966.
Moved to Florida in 1970
Moved and settled in Toronto in 1971
I have been married for over 40 years and we have 2 wonderful boys and one granddaughter
Surnames....Price, Evon, Shatten, Lee, Riley, Burton, Ayres, Smith, Loveridge, Rafferty,

Offline rebekahm28

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 25 April 10 16:09 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for replying to my message. Im thinking he was probably a patient, as I cant see when he would have done all the necessary training or what time-line he could have worked there. He appears to have been a miner most of his life, but I think there would have been a stigma within the family if he was a patient. His death entry is non-existant in the BMD indexes, he died 1941. Ive been told he shot himself BUT this is unconfirmed. Thankyou.

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 25 April 10 18:10 BST (UK) »
The death of a Percy PRICE in Bridgend is recorded in the March quarter of 1943 - Volume 11a Page 71.  He was aged 54.

If there was an inquest, it might have delayed the registration of his death?

Kind regards, Arranroots  ;)

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)