Author Topic: James Learmont, Covenanter  (Read 8410 times)

Offline spittalhill

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
James Learmont, Covenanter
« on: Monday 23 March 09 20:40 GMT (UK) »
James Learmont, described as a Haddington merchant or chapman, and a Covenanter, was arrested after a skirmish with soldiers at Whitekirk in 1678, and subsequently tried and hanged in Edinburgh. Can anyone help to identify his parentage or descendants. I am particularly interested to trace a connection to the Learmonths who were in the Prestonkirk area in the 18th/19th C.

Offline criochtun

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: James Learmont, Covenanter
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 26 March 14 10:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I too am interested in that line! My ancestor, Mary Learmonth, was from Prestonkirk, East Linton - daughter of Peter Learmonth and Elizabeth Richardson. Peter was the son of Alexander Learmonth by his second wife Jean Foggo. These latter were from Haddington and Peter was born there. Alexander went on to marry again, an Elizabeth Dewar - their first child was born in Haddington and then the family moved to Spott and finally settled in Presonkirk in the early 1770s. The family lived at Markle Mains or Fortunebank farm. Peter's half-brother, Robert Learmonth (d.1860), was a well-known local farmer and auctioneer. In a local exhibition, the following was written about him: "His family is said to have been connected with Thomas Learmonth, the rhymer of Earcildone (Earlston), and James Learmonth, the convenanter who was executed in Edinburgh in 1678 for having been present at a meeting of one thousand persons for worship at Whitekirk Hill..."

I hope this helps! The Prestonkirk Learmonths were indeed from Haddington, and if James Learmonth was from there, they are likely to be connected. How exactly, I don't know! However, it is also pleasing to think there is a link with Thomas the Rhymer! If you are related to these Learmonths, I would be happy to find out more from you and about how we are connected.

Yours,

Ross.

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 26 March 14 14:56 GMT (UK) »
May be related?

James LERMONT of Prestonkirk Parish married Isobell WALLACE of Innerwick Parish, 08 Aug 1630, Innerwick Church, Innerwick, East Lothian
(Source FreeREG)
Use  the soundex option when searching as surname has a few variations.

Trish :)

Hi Ross, was Peter buried Prestonkirk 1852 age 92?
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline criochtun

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 26 March 14 15:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi Trish,

I'm note sure that the entry for James Lermont is the correct one. There is a birth of a James Lermonth in Haddington parish for 1619 - more likely to be the one we are looking for given that he died in 1678. A marriage in 1630 would be too early for James' death in 1678 and for a possible birth in 1619. The only records we have about James is that he was from Haddington - not any other parish. As for the other question, Peter was buried in 1852 at Prestonkirk. He is my ancestor.

Yours, Ross.

Offline spittalhill

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 11 April 14 16:29 BST (UK) »
Hi Ross,
I knew about Alexander Learmonth who married Elizabeth Dewar, as my wife is descended from their son, Robert who you mention. Was Jean Foggo  Alexander's second wife as he had quite a large family by Elizabeth Dewar, and do you have a date for that marriage. I have the marriage to Elizabeth Dewar as 1768. I would be interested any other information you have on Alexander.
Regards
Will

Offline kenlear

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 23 June 15 17:22 BST (UK) »
I was surprised at Ross's post that Alexander had married Jean Foggo, (I presume he meant to say first wife, not second) but sure enough there is an entry in the records showing a marriage of Alexander Learmonth to Jean Foggo on 28 Nov 1762. By comparing the writing style, wording, and some shortening of his name Alex'dr and month of marriage Novbr, in both records, I would say that both entries were made by the same person, (minister?) and therefore (presumably) in the same parish record book.
This gives a reasonable probability that these two Alexanders were indeed the same person, unless there were two Alexanders living in the parish at the time. The Cautioners (witnesses) were William Learmonth + AN Other at the 1762 marriage, and Peter Learmonth + AN Other at the 1768 marriage. Is there any info regarding Alexander's DOB to see it this was possible? There was no record of a death for a Jean Learmonth or Foggo between 1762 and 1768.

Offline victorialearmonth

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 18 March 19 16:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi All,

Elizabeth Dewar was my 6x Ggrandmother. My line comes down through Robert Learmonth.

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 19 March 19 07:30 GMT (UK) »
Google, "Covenanters, a cloud of witnesses!" plus check the website of Dr Mark Jardine! Book of Martyrs!

Skoosh.