Author Topic: Monmouthshire Catholic Marriage records  (Read 4109 times)

Offline CHRISB

• I have turned off all notifications of new replies to my posts.
  • RootsChat Extra
  • Woodbridge Burrows
    • View Profile
Monmouthshire Catholic Marriage records
« on: Thursday 17 February 05 15:12 GMT (UK) »
 ???
Sorry to ask for help again...I thought I'd found my great grandparents' marriage details so I sent off for a
certificate.The Monmouthshire registry office drew a blank and suggested the Forest of Dean..no luck there either.
There was some rumour in the family about a catholic marriage so maybe my great grandfather
was a catholic and married as one....where do I go to find out more and get my much cherished certificate?
Marriage between Samuel Burrows born Woodbridge Suffolk 1831 and Sarah born Llanvaply,Monmouthshire 1837
Records show a marriage for Samuel Rosser in Monmouth first quarter 1860 11a 34 only I can't find his partner!

Any leads?
Thanks
CHRISB

Offline pritch19

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Monmouthshire Catholic Marriage records
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 17 February 05 19:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi Chris

Is it Samuel Burrows or Samuel Rosser? You've mentioned two surnames.  If it is Samuel Burrows, then there is a marriage record in the GRO indexes for Mar 1860  11A  p34.  If you want to take a chance that you have the correct Samuel Burrows you can order the certificate, supplying as much info as you have, using the GRO index above at www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content

It would not make any difference if it was a catholic marriage, it would still be registered.

pritch
Census Information Is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Ladkyis

• RootsChat Extra
  • Still searching for those darned actors
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 18 February 05 21:10 GMT (UK) »
the catholic registers for Monmouthshire have recently been deposited at the Gwent Record Office.
Ann
GIBBON, MCDADE, BRIDGER, GUILFOYLE, MACEY, JOHNSON, BELLEW, NATHAN, GEORGE, CLARKE.

Offline CHRISB

• I have turned off all notifications of new replies to my posts.
  • RootsChat Extra
  • Woodbridge Burrows
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 18 February 05 22:22 GMT (UK) »
Thanks to both pritch and Ladkyis..I did mean Burrows..I have just got so immersed in this venture,I get confused!
Cheers!
Chris B

Offline Janet Taylor

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 20 February 05 20:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi
I read with interest the topic of catholic records as part of my family history research is linked to St. Albans RC Church in PONTYPOOL.
Are all the Churches parish records now with the Gwent Record Office Ladkyris?
Jan (tinka)
Cheltenham Bond+Taylor  West Wales Morris Oxford+Gloucester Penn+Powell+Preest Southampton Kendall Northants Gurney Monmouthshire James+Desmond+Murphy
Cork Murphy

Offline Ladkyis

• RootsChat Extra
  • Still searching for those darned actors
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 21 February 05 00:30 GMT (UK) »
I'm not really sure which of the Catholic Mission records are in the Record Office - I suspect it is probably all of them. Take a ,ook at Mike John's website, he has transcripts of some of them - and a whole heap of other good stuff, including other parish register transcripts.

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~monfamilies

This should get you there

Ann
GIBBON, MCDADE, BRIDGER, GUILFOYLE, MACEY, JOHNSON, BELLEW, NATHAN, GEORGE, CLARKE.

Offline Butterfly

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 24 February 05 11:55 GMT (UK) »
You could also try contacting the parish  priest at St Albans most Catholic parishes keep their own records as well as those that have been submitted to the Diocese.  Well, that was how it was a year or two ago and I have searched many an hour in the prebytery offices of various parishes!!  Found a lot out too!!
Surnames: Stafford, Essex, Bird, North: Coventry, Warwickshire.
Hyatt: Coventry, Leicester.
Surnames: Bunstone, Jeanes: South Petherton, Somerset.
Surnames: Moynihan, O'Leary, Murphy, MacGillycuddy: Kerry, Ireland
Surnames: Brace, Powell: Monmouthshire, Glamorganshire and Pembrokeshire.