Author Topic: Donnelly Family Maghera/Draperstown area  (Read 26614 times)

Offline ady900

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Donnelly Family Maghera/Draperstown area
« Reply #36 on: Tuesday 26 February 19 22:26 GMT (UK) »
I believe my grandmother, Elizabeth Mulholland, came out to Philadelphia in Sep of 1899 with her cousin, Annie Donnelly.  My gran was from Glen Parish and went to Mass there at St. Pat's.  Annie's sister, Bridgid Donnelly was already in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA.  I have nothing on the Donnelly family, but Annie was listed as a Maghera woman (as was my gran - she was from Tirkane.)

Hi Derryjack
Just came across this post; haven’t been on site for a long time; I believe the Annie Donnelly and Bridgid Donnelly were my great Aunts they were daughters of Charles Donnely and Mary Harran Lisnamuck: Annie went to America around this time and married a Peter Buckley from Roscommon:Bridgid became a nun:

Ady900

Offline JamesD99

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Sunday 15 January 23 23:09 GMT (UK) »
I'm a little late to the party here. I recently discovered that someone in my extended family traced back our ancestry back to a John Donnelly from Maghera, Donegal, Ireland. He was born in 1834 and arrived in New York City in 1850. He married  Catherine Langan (from Ballymore Ireland). He died in 1870. I'm not sure how accurate any of this information is, so take it with a grain of salt

Offline JamesD99

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Sunday 15 January 23 23:37 GMT (UK) »
taking a wild guess - going to assume you can eliminate Francis as the father of your John. My John had two sons, one who was named Joseph "F" Donnelly, and he had a son named Francis ;) . This is all speculation, of course

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Friday 20 January 23 08:04 GMT (UK) »

....Bernard Donnelly married Rose McWilliams on 11 Dec 1917 in Draperstown Roman Catholic Church.

They married on 11 January 1917 at Keenaught RC Church. Rose living in the townland of Mormeal.

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1917/09735/5532358.pdf
https://www.townlands.ie/londonderry/loughinsholin/kilcronaghan/tobermore/mormeal/

Here's Rose (as McWilliam) in 1911 census.
House 25 in Mormeal (Tobermore, Londonderry).
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Londonderry/Tobermore/Mormeal/612168/

Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Friday 20 January 23 12:15 GMT (UK) »

After the marriage of Bernard Donnelly to Rose McWilliams in 1917, these are the first two children born:

Catherine Bernadette Donnelly 1917
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1917/01299/1537675.pdf

Mary Margaret Donnelly 1921
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1921/01187/1494553.pdf

Both born at Mormeal.

KG

Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline california dreamin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Friday 17 March 23 16:16 GMT (UK) »
taking a wild guess - going to assume you can eliminate Francis as the father of your John. My John had two sons, one who was named Joseph "F" Donnelly, and he had a son named Francis ;) . This is all speculation, of course

Hi James D99 - Thanks for your interest in this thread.  I came across you reply by accident as I'm not notified of replies anymore.  Yes, indeed my research has moved on quite a lot since my original query in 2009. Yes, Francis was eliminated as the father many years ago now.   Though interesting I wonder who is the father of your John Donnelly who married Catherine Lagan in NY?  Most of those from the general area when moving abroad seemed to head to Philly.

CD

Offline JamesD99

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Friday 17 March 23 16:34 GMT (UK) »
Hello - I don’t know who the father of my John Donnelly is. We were only able to trace back to the first Donnelly who arrived in the US.

My John Donnelly settled down in NYC and the family stayed there for a few generations