Author Topic: Bastardy Registers...  (Read 1213 times)

Offline Ayashi

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • William Wood, who was your mother??
    • View Profile
Bastardy Registers...
« on: Wednesday 25 March 09 13:27 GMT (UK) »
Does anyone know where to find bastardy registers for a period including 1859 (mother lived in Lifton, child born in Broadwoodwidger)? I've run out of options to find out about the father...

Thanks

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline behindthefrogs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • EDLIN
    • View Profile
Re: Bastardy Registers...
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 25 March 09 14:26 GMT (UK) »
There are no such thing as bastardy registers.  There are a number of places where you might find something which leads to the father.  I assume that you have already checked the parish baptism register where the father is sometimes named.

All of the other records involve a visit to the county record office.  Here you need to examine the other parish records like the vestry minutes, overseer of the poors records etc.  You then need to move to the records of the Poor Law Union again looking at minutes and accounts particularly those of the Out Relief Officer through whom any payments might have been made.  The third port of call are the records of the various courts through which any bastardy order may have been progressed that is both the Quarter Sessions and the Ecclesiastical Court.

If there was not a problem of support for the mother and child then the only likely source will be private papers

To find what you are looking for requires real research and there is no simple answer.

David
Living in Berkshire from Northampton & Milton Keynes
DETAILS OF MY NAMES ARE IN SURNAME INTERESTS, LINK AT FOOT OF PAGE
Wilson, Higgs, Buswell, PARCELL, Matthews, TAMKIN, Seckington, Pates, Coupland, Webb, Arthur, MAYNARD, Caves, Norman, Winch, Culverhouse, Drakeley.
Johnson, Routledge, SHIRT, SAICH, Mills, SAUNDERS, EDLIN, Perry, Vickers, Pakeman, Griffiths, Marston, Turner, Child, Sheen, Gray, Woolhouse, Stevens, Batchelor
Census Info is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline Ayashi

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • William Wood, who was your mother??
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 25 March 09 14:28 GMT (UK) »
There are some records of bastardy though, aren't there? I've googled it...

To my knowledge, the child was not baptised. I've found no record of it thus far.

Offline behindthefrogs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • EDLIN
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 25 March 09 15:08 GMT (UK) »
Some FHS, local history societies and individuals have extracted the details from some of the records that I mentioned above.  These are very few and far between and often are restricted to extracts from the parish register of unmarried mothers.

David
Living in Berkshire from Northampton & Milton Keynes
DETAILS OF MY NAMES ARE IN SURNAME INTERESTS, LINK AT FOOT OF PAGE
Wilson, Higgs, Buswell, PARCELL, Matthews, TAMKIN, Seckington, Pates, Coupland, Webb, Arthur, MAYNARD, Caves, Norman, Winch, Culverhouse, Drakeley.
Johnson, Routledge, SHIRT, SAICH, Mills, SAUNDERS, EDLIN, Perry, Vickers, Pakeman, Griffiths, Marston, Turner, Child, Sheen, Gray, Woolhouse, Stevens, Batchelor
Census Info is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk