Author Topic: 1861 Kensington look up please  (Read 2821 times)

Offline Rachel Davis

• RootsChat Extra
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
1861 Kensington look up please
« on: Sunday 25 April 04 16:40 BST (UK) »
I'm trying to trace Thomas William Howitt who was living at 4 Cobden Terrace Kensington 1864.  His wife was called Caroline and the children were called Emma and Thomas.  Father was a shoemaker.  I'm having real trouble tracing this man as Caroline re-married in 1870.

Regards

Rachel

Offline PaulineJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re:1861 Kensington look up please
« Reply #1 on: Monday 26 April 04 09:14 BST (UK) »
I can't find a Cobden Terrace, Kensington in the street index. It's quite possible that it's a small row and doesn't warrant a mention. Can't help at this time. Sorry.

Pauline

UPDATE:
 Cobden Terrace, St Catherines Road. Kensington
    Missing from ED27. Would have been RG9/18.

Looks like we can't help at all on this one.
Maybe you can get somewhere from his death certificate?
All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/
======================================
We are not a search engine. We are human beings.

Offline Rachel Davis

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 27 April 04 19:16 BST (UK) »
Thanks very much for looking.  Cobden Terrace must have been a side street in Kensington Town so small that they forgot to mention it. I've tried looking for his death certificate but having no luck with that either.  According to his son's marriage in 1884 he was still alive so he must divorced his wife and she re-married or that they were never married in the first place as when Caroline Howitt re-married in 1870 she used her maiden name on other marriage certificate.

I'll just have to keep digging.

Thanks again for looking.

Rachel

Offline PaulineJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 27 April 04 19:31 BST (UK) »
I'm a little bit confused by your posting. I *did* find a reference to Cobden Terrace, and it said that the folio was missing. They may have been elsewhere, it may be worth checking the name index when there are more entries.

Have you two marriage certificates for Caroline, or just the second? The son's marriage certificate may simply have omitted the fact that the father was deceased, or maybe the registrar never asked.

Have you any candidates for your Thomas William Howitt from the birth indexes?
All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/

Offline Rachel Davis

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 27 April 04 20:12 BST (UK) »
Sorry my mistake just my luck that part is missing.  I have only the second marriage details.  I've looked through all the indexes for the first marriage but no luck.  He would have been born before 1837 about the mid 1820's but not knowing where he came from I cannot check parish records.  All I have at the moment is his second son was born at Cobden Terrace in 1864, hence checking the 1861 census to see if they were on there to get more details.  His first son was born Dec 1860 I will apply for his certificate to see if I can get more information, he was also born in Kensington but not sure if it is the same address as yet. Perhaps he had died and his son did not mention it.

Sorry again for my mistake and thank you for replying so promptly

Regards

Rachel

Offline janetmb

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 1861 Kensington look up please
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 26 August 17 08:51 BST (UK) »
Hi
I know it's many years since this was first posted. I have just started to research my family tree. I have hit this very same block. Thomas William Howitt b1860 is my great grandfather through his daughter Florence. I too cannot find details of his father apart from the name, Thomas William Howitt. I wonder if you ever managed to solve the riddle?

Offline PaulineJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 26 August 17 09:27 BST (UK) »
There may also have been these other births to the same family unit?

HOWITT, CAROLINE  MARIA     STOREY      1858  M Quarter in KENSINGTON  Volume 01A  Page 56
HOWITT, ELLEN                       STOREY      1859   J Quarter in KENSINGTON  Volume 01A  Page 74
HOWITT, THOMAS  WILLIAM     STOREY      1860  D Quarter in KENSINGTON  Volume 01A  Page 86
HOWITT, EDWARD                       STOREY     1864  S Quarter in KENSINGTON  Volume 01A  Page 96

Can't spot a good death match for the father at this time.
Do you know what the 1860 birth address was?

Offline janetmb

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 26 August 17 10:03 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that, I only know of an older child, Emma, born 1855/6, Thomas and Edward.  Living in Norland Rd in 1861.

Offline janetmb

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 26 August 17 10:15 BST (UK) »
P.S. Emma, Thomas and Edward went with their mother Caroline to Sussex on her new marriage in 1870 to Obediah Brown. Cannot see deaths for the other two girls.