Author Topic: McGill/Somers  (Read 15645 times)

Offline edenreaghbeg

• RootsChat Member
  • we don't find ancestors... they find us
    • View Profile
Re: McGill/Somers
« Reply #27 on: Sunday 19 April 09 21:11 BST (UK) »
My Great Grandfather William Magill appears in the 1901 census aged 51 and his wife Catherine aged 49
 do they appear on the 1911 census ? there are lists for a few counties in this census but not yet co Derry
Thanks
McGill/Somers/McIvor in Co Derry.
Lynch Co Dublin
Morgan / Ross / Curoe/Roberts in Co Down

Offline somerand

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Tuesday 15 March 11 00:31 GMT (UK) »
 I have a picture of three people it says Granny Rebeca Mc Gill, Son, Danial & Daughter, Lavina  I used to have some details but cant find them,it was someone who was looking for relatives called  with my sister but she was'nt into this I have the picture,it was only a chance  meeting at a clinic  in Limavady the person at the clinic had the name of Mc Gill, that I found out our family names were the same. The picture I have is the same lady as your granny.My grandfather was Somers grandmother madian Mc Gill   hope ths will be of some help.Kind Regards

Offline edenreaghbeg

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Tuesday 15 March 11 14:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi Somerand it is great to read your post
My Granny is the one in this picture Rebecca Teresa McGill nee Somers born  in 1866 Daughter of Daniel Somers and Anne McGill nee McIvor Married my Grandfather James McGill son of William McGill and Catherine McGill nee McCorriston. they are buried in Roemill Cemetry Limavady along with my Aunt Annie
I have been gathering a lot of info mostly sketchy over the past few years and I am hoping to collate it all and try to make a readable family tree I would love to meet up with you
Gerald McGill
Lynch Co Dublin

Offline cyclamen

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Tuesday 15 March 11 14:27 GMT (UK) »
I happened to be looking yesterday at the church records for Tamlahtarde Parish Church. PRONI reference MIC/1/86/1.  If you haven't already done so they are worth a look. They contain a considerable number of baptisms for children with the surname Somers and McCorriston.
Moody, Patton, Hemphill, Haslett, Hopkins, Simpson, Fleming,Walker. Co Londonderry
Simpson, Moody Co Armagh
Walker Co Tyrone, Co Donegal and Dublin

Offline edenreaghbeg

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Tuesday 15 March 11 14:38 GMT (UK) »
Many Thanks Cyclamen that is most kind of you to send this post
I am intending to visit Proni soon and will now have a head start to where I should  start looking
Best regards
 Gerald
Lynch Co Dublin

Offline Bill Debs

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Sunday 08 July 18 14:22 BST (UK) »
Hello,

I am an American of Irish/Sottish decent.  I belie my family "passed" through the area around Derry in the 1800s.  Here is a link to a photo and what history I have:  https://www.flickr.com/photos/cdrdwd/11124208975/

Please let me know if any dates and names match your history.

Kind regards,

Bill

Offline julkane

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Wednesday 01 May 19 07:28 BST (UK) »
My second great grandparents were William O'Kane/Kane 1816-1886 and Ellen Collins 1814-1881 of Claggan, Magilligan. William also leased and farmed land in Drumhahay as well as Claggan. Ellen O'Kane was the sponsor at the baptisms of two children of James Somers and Margaret Doran of Drumnahay: Jane (baptized 4 Aug 1867, St. Aidan's in Magilligan), and William (baptized 16 Oct 1864, St. Aidan's). William O'Kane was a witness at the marriage of Ellen Somers of Drumnahay and William McConway (22 Jul 1850 in St. Aidan's). Also, their oldest son Richard O'Kane (brother of my great grandfather John) was a sponsor at the baptism of Ellen and William's son William (31 May 1868, St. Aidan's). Also, Daniel Somers was a sponsor at the baptism of William and Ellen's daughter Sarah O'Kane (27 Nov 1846). With all of these interconnections, I strongly suspect that our two families were related a generation back. Has anyone descended from the Somers of Drumnahay taken a DNA test yet?