Author Topic: Surnames / occupations  (Read 20919 times)

Offline cwtch

• RootsChat Senior
  • The Truth Sets Us Free
    • View Profile
Re: Surnames / occupations
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 03 January 10 23:24 GMT (UK) »
Sorry Janneyj I am not aware of any Youngs, it.s very frustrating trying to find info on Roma families! ;D
Came from Cadoxton S. Wales. Moved to England in 1966.
Moved to Florida in 1970
Moved and settled in Toronto in 1971
I have been married for over 40 years and we have 2 wonderful boys and one granddaughter
Surnames....Price, Evon, Shatten, Lee, Riley, Burton, Ayres, Smith, Loveridge, Rafferty,

Offline vince smith

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 04 January 10 15:33 GMT (UK) »
Merona, Do you think  that the  Rom(a), Stevensons are the same as the Romnichal Stevonsons and stevens'?

Same for the Mitchells.   

Although DNA testing is starting to show that all the Romani groups are related, I am led to believe by my Wife's family who are Evon's, that many of the surnames were anglicised when the Rom got to the West.

I have stevens in my line going back at least to 1780.

I see you also have Raffertys, of whom my Grandmother was one.

Offline cwtch

• RootsChat Senior
  • The Truth Sets Us Free
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 05 January 10 21:01 GMT (UK) »
Hi Vince Smith, I do not know anything about the Roma dna whose is what? Interesting though. I believe all Roma people are related not tinkers or people gadje that decide they want to try that life and feel then they are Rom no a Roma person it's inside deeper even that the blood lines, it's who you are no if and or buts.....does that make sense to any one......I'm kind of going a bit around in circles trying to explain how I feel about a true Roma lol.
Any way Vince it's interesting because I also am an Evon....
Moved to Florida in 1970
I have been married for over 40 years and we have 2 wonderful boys and one granddaughter
Surnames....Price, Evon, Shatten, Lee, Riley, Burton, Ayres, Smith, Loveridge, Rafferty,

Offline JaneyJ

• RootsChat Member
  • Grandad: John Parkinson
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 05 January 10 23:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi Marona,

Thankyou for the reply, ref: Hearn's/ Young's, I'll sort this out one day.... ::)

I agree with your last post, being a Rom/Roma/Gypsy is a feeling of belonging to something very special.

Though I am of mixed blood, (Grandma Jane Young married "out"), I have an enormous pride in my Gypsy/Travelling family.

The Young's were known to be "Proper Romanies" in Scotland, and held in deep respect within the Scottish Traveller communities. (Read Jess Smith, author of some wonderful books about Scottish Travellers).

So even if my blood is a little diluted, the love of freedom and family still runs through me.

Jane
Edinburgh: Parkinson, Young, Richardson, Melrose, Arnott
Lanarkshire: Richardson, Muir, Buchanan, McMurtrie
Dumfieshire: Richardson, Muir.
Travelling Folk: Young, Cunningham, Wilson, Hartley, Knowells, Clark, Sewall, Swales.
Bristol: Jones, Cleak, Greening.
Exeter: Jones, Gregory, Greenslade, Pannel.

Offline cwtch

• RootsChat Senior
  • The Truth Sets Us Free
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 06 January 10 05:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jane and any one else that might be interested; at the Liverpool uni there is a large section on Roma people. You can purchase info on families last name. There is a small fee for this but well worth it.
I will post the address below and contacts name.
good luck

Katy Hooper

Hooper, Katy <K.Hooper@liverpool.ac.uk>

Special Collections & Archives
Moved to Florida in 1970

Offline rootbeer

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 06 January 10 11:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi Janey-J. The Heron/Youngs are/were different Young's from the Scottish Traveller Young's. the Heron Young's mostly married Heron's Lee's Boswell's or there own Young's. they were Herons who took the name Young i think the name change started with Miller Heron i will check my info. my gt gt grandmother was Leondra Young she married a Boswell i have done a lot of research on the heron/Youngs and would like to hear from anyone ells who might have connections.  my aunt is a Scottish Young and my brother in-law a Hartley im related to the Cuninghams and my uncles mam was a Stevenson all are very well known Gypsy familys. just to add that the Heron/Youngs used the names Brown Linner Gray Boswell and others on some Census i have the full Heron tree but its not %100 but would be happy to help anyone who might be interested

Offline JaneyJ

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 06 January 10 22:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi rootbeer,
Thankyou so much for the info, it has cleared my head of a lot of useless junk....quite a big job that one  ;D.

I to am related to the Cunninghams and Hartley's, My G/Grandmother was Margaret Cunningham c: 1865 Sheffield, who married John Young b: 1861 Aberdeen.
Their daughter (my Great Aunt) Rebecca b: 1886 Stirling, married John Hartley b: 1877 Stirling, they settled in Edinburgh.

I've not come across the name Leondra Young in my family, sounds a lovely name, the Scots tended to use quite conventional names,  I do have Boswells, though not a direct link.

Who is your Scottish Aunt Young?.

Jane
Travelling Folk: Young, Cunningham, Wilson, Hartley, Knowells, Clark, Sewall, Swales.

Offline JaneyJ

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 06 January 10 22:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi Marona,

Thankyou for the info on Liverpool Uni, I've just had a quick look on their web site and it's given me itchy feet to go and have a look, though by the comments Katy Hooper made on the Gypsy Lore web site I might want a few days to have a good look....another holiday coming on I think... ;).

Jane

Offline daisydew7

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Saturday 25 February 17 21:46 GMT (UK) »
Does anyone know anything about Frampton Youn S/o Elijah heron young and Sarah Boss Born 1821 In England

Thank you