Author Topic: Can't afford gravestones?  (Read 24865 times)

Offline janet62

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Can't afford gravestones?
« Reply #27 on: Monday 27 April 09 19:54 BST (UK) »
My grandparent were Plymouyh Brethren and they had no gravestones
forrest Ireland London
Dorling   suffolk essex
Easy cambridgeshire
Hancock devon or Cornwall   london
kitson ireland lancashire
shuttleworth essex

Offline jane harrison

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Tuesday 30 June 09 21:24 BST (UK) »
my grandfathers parents buried 4 youngsters all within a year, none had headstones but a least three of them are buried side by side.this site has now been sold to a private company around 20 years ago.all stones e.c.t where removed & dumped against the outside wall (all smashed now) when my grandfather died he was cremated. as he was born & bread on the canal he had asked for his ashes to be scattered along an area he had fond memories.its nice to walk this paticular area on special ocassions  as three other family members are also there (mine & my fathers when our time comes)when each member had died i brought a rose bush & planted in my garden. each bush is named after each member i.e grandads bush e.c.t. each member is marked in my family tree with photos & special memories for generations to come.

Offline Vasquez109

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Ask now! Tomorrow might be too late....
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Tuesday 30 June 09 23:52 BST (UK) »
Thats such a wonderful story! Do you feel uneasy about walking that particular area as you know that it will be your final resting place?
Northants - Stevenson, Smith, Spriggs, Hight, Dodson, Coleman
Swansea - Thomas, Williams, Howell, David, Rees, Griffiths, Jenkins, Bevan
Rutland - Hales
Derbyshire - Harlow, Riley, Pemberton, Aldred
Yorkshire - Stamper, Boyes, Duke
London - Harper, Wallis
Essex - Shelford, Wallis, Read, Stanes
Hertfordshire - Bishop
Cornwall - Johns, Soper, Rowe, Ball, Webb, Dunn, Quintrell, Hain, Oliver
Gloucestershire - Harper, Ash, Gregory, Denman
County Durham - Proud, Duke
Yorkshire - Stamper, Pickering

Offline charlotteCH

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Genealogy's worth chatting about.
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Wednesday 01 July 09 08:04 BST (UK) »
A slight variation of the theme- I have an instance where a clearly named leadlined  coffin was in the crypt of the Oak St Chapel, Accrington- the coffin of Jonas Hargreaves who died in 1846 in Accrington Lancs. He'd been RSM of 82nd Foot and was a Chelsea Outpensioner.
In the mid 1960s the Council/ Borough or whatever the local govt body is, demolished the Oak St Chapel as it had dry rot thru it and built a car park on the church and adjacent Cemetery site.
 The coffin was moved to Accrington Cem where it was dumped unceremoniously in a grave to which no name has been added. The Council/Borough  owns the burial plot I believe. 

So Jonas Hargreaves  now effectively is buried in an unmarked grave where before he was buried in a privileged place- the crypt of the chapel.  His was one of two or three coffins there and the only one to bear a name.  This dumping seems to me appalling and I wonder if the law has not been broken here- is not it the law about exhumations and reburials that one of conditions of reburial is that it must not be less proper than before? Does anyone know what the Home Office rules are about this please?

At the same time, the bodies of those buried in the Cemetery attached to the Chapel were exhumed and cremated... quite some dozens of bodies... where are the ashes of these people?  Has the law been followed here?

Any comments or suggestions here will be very welcome... Jonas was my greatgreat grandfather.

charlotte

Offline jane harrison

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Wednesday 01 July 09 08:21 BST (UK) »
not at all its a nice clean area of the canal with lots of family stories & memories (dad was born on a barge near there) its only a 20 min drive from my home. when i need to chill out i often sit along the toe path & ponder life & come away with a more relaxed frame of mind. dad always says at least the fishing is good there they are fattened up on us harrisons.the good side to me is no graves to worry about being vandalised or falling in to disrepair or neglect when i go to the great attic in the sky.i have my memory rose bushes & if i ever move i can take them with me .when i die my daughter will take them & plant in her garden, you cant do that with head stones.

Offline Vasquez109

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Ask now! Tomorrow might be too late....
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Wednesday 01 July 09 11:05 BST (UK) »
Charlotte, that is awful! Im not really sure what the law is, but others on here are a mine of information. They would know better than I would.

David.
Northants - Stevenson, Smith, Spriggs, Hight, Dodson, Coleman
Swansea - Thomas, Williams, Howell, David, Rees, Griffiths, Jenkins, Bevan
Rutland - Hales
Derbyshire - Harlow, Riley, Pemberton, Aldred
Yorkshire - Stamper, Boyes, Duke
London - Harper, Wallis
Essex - Shelford, Wallis, Read, Stanes
Hertfordshire - Bishop
Cornwall - Johns, Soper, Rowe, Ball, Webb, Dunn, Quintrell, Hain, Oliver
Gloucestershire - Harper, Ash, Gregory, Denman
County Durham - Proud, Duke
Yorkshire - Stamper, Pickering

Offline charlotteCH

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Wednesday 01 July 09 12:53 BST (UK) »
David, I stand appalled at this...I'm not in England or else I'd take  up the matter of getting this set right with a headstone naming him.

To get a copy of the exhumation order out of the Home Office, after three requests that were ignored, I registered the letter of request which meant they had to sign for it . I thus had evidence of delivery- that day after the registered letter was recieved a reply was mailed to me... didn't want to get caught out.  No wonder local authorities behave as they do and dump someone in an unmarked grave.

Let's hope someone who knows the law on exhumations and reburials comes on here...
Thanks for your empathy here.

charlotte

Offline Avril-14

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Wednesday 08 July 09 07:05 BST (UK) »
Hello there
like Barbara 348 I too have relatives buried in an unmarked grave in the Rhymeny cemetry in Wales.  One of those people was my sister and another was my uncle but there are two other people in that grave who I don't know.  I had the plot number and the row and the only way to roughly find out where the grave was, was to mark out the distance between marked graves and carry of from there until I "found" it.  My sister was buried in 1939.

Avril
Harper, Potter, Jones, Alcock, Woods, Martin, Thomas, Jenkins.
England, Ireland, Wales

Offline charlotteCH

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Wednesday 08 July 09 07:14 BST (UK) »
Aril, I'd think the Cem authorities could tell you who is buried in that grave and who owns the grave etc.
It would be worth asking.

charlotte