Author Topic: Can't afford gravestones?  (Read 26370 times)

Offline gwen j

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Can't afford gravestones?
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 29 March 09 09:08 BST (UK) »
My Mothers mother died in 1966 and my Dad in 1967.Mum was left without a penny and the graves,which where next to each other where unmarked.When Mum died in 1990,my brothers and I decided that even though she was cemated,we would have her ashes buried in Dads grave and put a headsone in to mark the three of them.Even though we all live some miles away from the graveyard its lovely to have somewhere to go on special days and know that all three are remembered.
Davies-Rhydlewis to Ebbw Vale
Wharton and Ford-Barnard Castle to London
Delany-Staffs.
Lascelles

Offline Barbara348

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • (Virture in difficulty)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 29 March 09 09:36 BST (UK) »
Hi Filiem,

just seen your post.

It seems that only people with money could afford a Gravestone and there were so many who couldn't and are in unmarked graves.

A couple of years ago I visited the cemetery where my Gt Grandparents (died in the 1890's) are buried and the caretaker showed me a piece of land under which my relatives were buried.

It was unmarked, you wouldn't know it was someone's final resting place, and there were other unrelated persons in the same grave.
Very depressing but that's how hard life was then.

My Gt Grandad on the other side of my family is in the same cemetery and he has a gravestone but it's made of sandstone and is crumbling away - it's almost impossible now to read any inscription.

My Grandmother, who died in Feb 1945, is also in an unmarked grave because WW11 still hadn't finished &  my mum & her siblings just did not have the money for a gravestone.

I always think that if I won a lot of money, I would erect gravestones for all my ancestors who are in unmarked graves but I feel that's most unlikely to happen !!!

Barbara.

Howell. Marshall. Frew.Finn.Williams.Jones.Carroll.
Hinksman. Zeitline.Roberts.Shepherd.

Offline Sylviaann

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Isabella Barette
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 29 March 09 12:58 BST (UK) »
Well I must admit that my husband was cremated and his ashes scattered at the crematorium so no gravestone for him.  There will not be one for me either if my children follow my wishes and do the same with me.  They won't have the money for anything.  Hopefully my family tree and computer will produce something for them to remember us by.

Sylviaann
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Norfolk: Gooch, Loveday, Lake, Betts
Suffolk: Gooch, Crosby, Turner
Hampshire: Laws, Burrows
Kent: Beer
Jersey: Barette, de Gruchy
East London: Middleton, Gower, O'Farrell, Smith, Weston

Offline behindthefrogs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • EDLIN
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 29 March 09 13:45 BST (UK) »
It was not always a matter of could not afford gravestones.  There are no gravestones on either side of my family for a number of generations.  This was not a matter of could not afford them but a belief that they were a huge waste of money and that a donation to a charity was much better use of the money.

This seems to have been tradition in the particular Congregational and Baptist churches in which my parents were brought up.

David
Living in Berkshire from Northampton & Milton Keynes
DETAILS OF MY NAMES ARE IN SURNAME INTERESTS, LINK AT FOOT OF PAGE
Wilson, Higgs, Buswell, PARCELL, Matthews, TAMKIN, Seckington, Pates, Coupland, Webb, Arthur, MAYNARD, Caves, Norman, Winch, Culverhouse, Drakeley.
Johnson, Routledge, SHIRT, SAICH, Mills, SAUNDERS, EDLIN, Perry, Vickers, Pakeman, Griffiths, Marston, Turner, Child, Sheen, Gray, Woolhouse, Stevens, Batchelor
Census Info is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline charlotteCH

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Genealogy's worth chatting about.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 30 March 09 05:29 BST (UK) »
Hi David, that gravestone not be placed on graves was not universal in Conregational churches- as you indeed implied by use of the word 'particular". I have an 1877 burila of the son of a Conregational[Independent] Chapel minister with a gravestone and from then on I have found gravestones for other family members. - gald they did it, from my point of view, as I have gathered a heap of info from these.

charlotte

Offline behindthefrogs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • EDLIN
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 30 March 09 09:23 BST (UK) »
I was brought up in the Congregational Church and while the one of my youth had no gravestones those in which I was later involved all did.

David
Living in Berkshire from Northampton & Milton Keynes
DETAILS OF MY NAMES ARE IN SURNAME INTERESTS, LINK AT FOOT OF PAGE
Wilson, Higgs, Buswell, PARCELL, Matthews, TAMKIN, Seckington, Pates, Coupland, Webb, Arthur, MAYNARD, Caves, Norman, Winch, Culverhouse, Drakeley.
Johnson, Routledge, SHIRT, SAICH, Mills, SAUNDERS, EDLIN, Perry, Vickers, Pakeman, Griffiths, Marston, Turner, Child, Sheen, Gray, Woolhouse, Stevens, Batchelor
Census Info is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Vasquez109

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Ask now! Tomorrow might be too late....
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 01 April 09 19:16 BST (UK) »
I found out the hard way! I drove all the way from Swansea to Desborough, Northamptonshire where a lot of the family are buried.

Not a single headstone to be found. Should have worked it out really as they were all Agricultural Labourers and quite poor!
Northants - Stevenson, Smith, Spriggs, Hight, Dodson, Coleman
Swansea - Thomas, Williams, Howell, David, Rees, Griffiths, Jenkins, Bevan
Rutland - Hales
Derbyshire - Harlow, Riley, Pemberton, Aldred
Yorkshire - Stamper, Boyes, Duke
London - Harper, Wallis
Essex - Shelford, Wallis, Read, Stanes
Hertfordshire - Bishop
Cornwall - Johns, Soper, Rowe, Ball, Webb, Dunn, Quintrell, Hain, Oliver
Gloucestershire - Harper, Ash, Gregory, Denman
County Durham - Proud, Duke
Yorkshire - Stamper, Pickering

Offline willow154

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Mum - Such love
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 01 April 09 22:17 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone,
About a year or so ago I went on a quest to see if I could find the grave of a rootschatter's ancestor. She told me not to build up any hopes as he was an ag. lab, and had died in the local workhouse.
However, I not only found his grave, but a whole group of family graves. So, you never know - these ancestors are always surprising us!
Paulene

Offline Vasquez109

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Ask now! Tomorrow might be too late....
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 01 April 09 22:52 BST (UK) »
Wish I could say the same, but you had done very well. My ancestors had very little. How much do you think a burial and headstone would have cost?

A month or 2's wages?
Northants - Stevenson, Smith, Spriggs, Hight, Dodson, Coleman
Swansea - Thomas, Williams, Howell, David, Rees, Griffiths, Jenkins, Bevan
Rutland - Hales
Derbyshire - Harlow, Riley, Pemberton, Aldred
Yorkshire - Stamper, Boyes, Duke
London - Harper, Wallis
Essex - Shelford, Wallis, Read, Stanes
Hertfordshire - Bishop
Cornwall - Johns, Soper, Rowe, Ball, Webb, Dunn, Quintrell, Hain, Oliver
Gloucestershire - Harper, Ash, Gregory, Denman
County Durham - Proud, Duke