Author Topic: Can't afford gravestones?  (Read 26261 times)

Offline Avril-14

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Can't afford gravestones?
« Reply #36 on: Wednesday 08 July 09 22:32 BST (UK) »
Hello Charlotte

I do know who is in the grave with my sister and uncle,
My sisters name was Valerie Potte who died at 3 month and interred 16th august 1939
My Unlces name was Isaac Francis Potter aged 22 and was interred on 13th September 1933.

they are Eliza James aged 70 who interred 7th May 1919
               William James aged 54 who was interred on 24th March 1923.

I have no clue who these people are and I don't know who the grave owner is.
It would be really good to see if anyone can help on this.   ???

Cheers
Avril
Harper, Potter, Jones, Alcock, Woods, Martin, Thomas, Jenkins.
England, Ireland, Wales

Offline charlotteCH

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Genealogy's worth chatting about.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Thursday 09 July 09 02:02 BST (UK) »
Avril,
The Cemetery authority would know who owned- paid for- the grave I'd think.  Possibly they'd also know who the undertakers were who looked after the burial arrangements. Even if the undertakers are not in business still their records may be at the Local Studies Library or with some local authority- worth tracking them down.
It would certainly be worth asking the Cem Authority-

Interesting that your two burial are after the others.  Don't know what that means? ???

charlotte

Offline Avril-14

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Thursday 09 July 09 03:00 BST (UK) »
Hello Charlotte

??? should have gone on the line above where I had put it.  Cos the reason is I just haven't got a clue.
Anyway thanks again for your help. I had, quite awhile ago wrote to the Caerphilly registry office and they couldn't offer anymore information than the names of the people who are in the grave as did the Rhymney Valley District council.  The Rhymney Valley district council were very helpful in giving me the information about the grave, (grave A393) and who is in it.

Not too worry.
Thanks again Charlotte
Cheeres
Avril
Harper, Potter, Jones, Alcock, Woods, Martin, Thomas, Jenkins.
England, Ireland, Wales

Offline Guy Etchells

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Thursday 09 July 09 07:13 BST (UK) »
David, I stand appalled at this...I'm not in England or else I'd take  up the matter of getting this set right with a headstone naming him.

To get a copy of the exhumation order out of the Home Office, after three requests that were ignored, I registered the letter of request which meant they had to sign for it . I thus had evidence of delivery- that day after the registered letter was recieved a reply was mailed to me... didn't want to get caught out.  No wonder local authorities behave as they do and dump someone in an unmarked grave.

Let's hope someone who knows the law on exhumations and reburials comes on here...
Thanks for your empathy here.

charlotte

The law is set out here-
http://www.opsi.gov.uk/RevisedStatutes/Acts/ukpga/1981/cukpga_19810018_en_1

The Schedule on page two gives more details.
Cheers
Guy
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

Offline charlotteCH

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Genealogy's worth chatting about.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Thursday 09 July 09 08:31 BST (UK) »
Guy, Thank you very much for the link. 

charlotte

Offline Gaille

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Friday 10 July 09 03:47 BST (UK) »
Hello Charlotte

??? should have gone on the line above where I had put it.  Cos the reason is I just haven't got a clue.
Anyway thanks again for your help. I had, quite awhile ago wrote to the Caerphilly registry office and they couldn't offer anymore information than the names of the people who are in the grave as did the Rhymney Valley District council.  The Rhymney Valley district council were very helpful in giving me the information about the grave, (grave A393) and who is in it.

Not too worry.
Thanks again Charlotte
Cheeres
Avril

Are you sure its the SAME grave?
My nana & Grandad are buried in the same grave, grandad in 1977, nana in 2008.

I KNOW for a fact they are the only ones in the grave, i was there when Nana bought it, and I have the deeds in my possesion so it cant be opened without me knowing.
We have visited at least 4 times a year since 1977 so there is no way anyone is buried in it.

However - if you search on Manchester councils website there are FOUR names listed under the grave number - Grandad is number 1 - the number 2 & 3 I didnt know, number 4 was nana.

When I saw it I freaked out a little -so I called the Cemetery office & they explained there are 2 graves with same plot & Grave number - but 1 is in the consecrated part of the cemetery, and one in the Non-conformists part.

What I am saying i suppose is dont be 100% certain they are all in the same grave, they may not be.

Gaille
Manchester – Bate(s) / Bebbington / Coppock or Coppart / Evans / Mitchell / Prince / Smith

Cheshire Latchford – Bibby / Savage / Smith.
Cheshire Macclesfield,  Bollington & Rainow – Childs / Flint / Mc'rea
Cheshire Crewe – Bate(s) / Bebbington
Shropshire Wellington, Wobwell – Smith
Walsall Midds – Smith
Norfolk - Childs / Hanwell / Smith

Also looking for:
Mc'Rea/McCrea – Ireland to Cheshire

And
any relatives of Margaret Bibby married to Thomas Smith all over country

Offline Nick29

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Saturday 24 September 11 11:57 BST (UK) »
Graves may not originally have been totally unmarked.  When families could not afford the expense of a stone marker, they could sometimes afford a simple wooden cross, which may have been simply engraved, or have a metal plate attached.  Of course, without suitable preservation, a wooden marker would not have survived intact more than about 40 years.
RIP 1949-10th January 2013

Best Wishes,  Nick.

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Plummiegirl

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Me, Dad, Granddad & G/gran
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Saturday 24 September 11 12:12 BST (UK) »
When thinking about graveyards and markers/headstones we should also think of the logistics

In all probability there are more graves without any form of marker.

Think about it.  If EVERY person who died could afford a plot (including those with more that one family member in) most graveyards would have filled up in about 10 years!  Or the practice of burying a person 'standing upo' may have needed to be adopted to save space for more burials.

I am always amazed that people are shocked to find that their ancestors are in either an unmarked or public grave.  As most of us are from very poor famiies such as Ag. Labs. surely we would not expect a gravestone/marker and be more surprised if we do find one. 

I know when I started out I did not expect to find any and I have not been disappointed! ;)

Fleming (Bristol) Fowler/Brain (Battersea/Bristol)    Simpson (Fulham/Clapham)  Harrison (W.London, Fulham, Clapham)  Earl & Butler  (Dublin,New Ross: Ireland)  Humphrey (All over mainly London) Hill (Reigate, Bletchingly, Redhill: Surrey)
Sell (Herts/Essex/W. London)